Are LEOs are told you have a concealed carry permit when they run your license? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are LEOs are told you have a concealed carry permit when they run your license?

In indiana the police have access to that information when the pull you over and run your id.

Thanks for all the replies (especially yours Highpower15...nice to have a response from a MN Trooper). As I said, I thought his level of caution was impressive. I would hope they are all that careful at every stop.

Thanks again!
    -Mike-

Here in Michigan, our CPL's are tied to our registered vehicles (MI is a require to inform state). In the FWIW dept...
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

5. In most states, CWP are private information. The laws differ from state to state, but in 99percent of cases CWP info is separate from driver info and basic background info. You have to look it up on a seperate screen (as stated by the retired Mn.St.Trooper)....
    I believe there should be a uniformed CWP regulation to minimize the confusion.
    For instance, in SC, your weapon is supposed to be stored in the glove box or console. But you cross the state line into NC, and your weapon is supposed to be visible to any approaching LEO (ie. placed on top of the console or in the other seat in plain view.)
    I can see where it might get confusing to people that travel alot...

Texas is tied to drivers license when run he will know.

Quote Originally Posted by sig1014 View Post
    In most states, CWP are private information. The laws differ from state to state, but in 99percent of cases CWP info is separate from driver info and basic background info. You have to look it up on a seperate screen (as stated by the retired Mn.St.Trooper)....
    I believe there should be a uniformed CWP regulation to minimize the confusion.
    For instance, in SC, your weapon is supposed to be stored in the glove box or console. But you cross the state line into NC, and your weapon is supposed to be visible to any approaching LEO (ie. placed on top of the console or in the other seat in plain view.)
    I can see where it might get confusing to people that travel alot...
    I believe there should be NO infringements on my inalienable right to keep and bear arms of any kind and that this particular right, being such a valued right, has written unto it the words, "... shall not be infringed."

You can keep your permit system and regulatory bodies and continue to add bad law after bad law. (correction, each of these laws is a breach of the Constitution so I should have written, illegal law after illegal law)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

8. During a routine traffic stop, does it really matter to the driver whether or not the officer gets CPL/CCW information from dispatch or not? I just comply with whatever the state law says I have to do and don't really concern myself with whether or not the officer gets CPL/CCW information from the state/county.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

9. "Btw officer, I'm also not wearing socks today."

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Let's apply some common sense. First, he calls in the license plate number of your vehicle, and IF he gets a response that the vehicle is registered to Joe Snuffy, and Joe Snuffy has a CC permit, what does that tell the officer about the occupants of the vehicle? ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, 100% NOTHING! Why? Because the officer has no idea who the occupants of the vehicle are.

Now, if the officer obtains Joe Snuffy's driver's license, and finds out from the state that Joe Snuffy has a CC permit, what reason then would the officer have to treat Joe Snuffy more cautiously than before? He just obtained information from the state that said that Joe Snuffy has submitted to a background check, he's passed the background check, and if Joe Snuffy does possess a firearm, there is 99% chance that firearm is completely 100% legal. So why would the officer have any reason to be MORE cautious?
    there is 99% chance that firearm is completely 100% legal. So why would the officer have any reason to be MORE cautious? Because that ONE PERCENT could get you killed. Sort of like treating ALL guns as if they are loaded.
    Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man gainst his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia...Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

11. Quote Originally Posted by dcselby1 View Post
    there is 99% chance that firearm is completely 100% legal. So why would the officer have any reason to be MORE cautious? Because that ONE PERCENT could get you killed. Sort of like treating ALL guns as if they are loaded.
    He's not going to find out about that 1% through a computer check though. He's gonna find out about that 1% when that 1% pistol is pointing at his face.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast