KommieFornia LEO's Shoot & Kill a 13 year old boy armed with 'plastic toy guns'. - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: KommieFornia LEO's Shoot & Kill a 13 year old boy armed with 'plastic toy guns'.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar View Post
    According to the link telpinaro posted the rifle wasn't a toy it was a replica. Not sure what the diference is but if you are walking down the street carrying a "fake" gun and a cop points a real gun at you and tells you to drop it common sense would tell you that you damn better drop the gun.

It would depend on the rifle but around here if you see a kid walking down the road with a duck gun he's probably on his way to hunt ducks
    That's what I was thinking... I still think it looks fake, but that's not a great picture. I can see people being fooled by it... Especially cops in CA who may never have seen one of those before.

Keep in mind, of course, that he's in CA where they don't hunt ducks!

I'm kind of withholding judgement right now... this is clearly a horrible situation, but there's just too many questions out there to say for sure who is right, or if the police were justified. Maybe the kid didn't understand? Maybe he was screwing around and pointing it at them? Maybe he went to put it down but in the process pointed it at them? Heck, maybe the kid was terrified and froze! Most scenarios I come up with have the cops in the wrong, but on the off chance they weren't... I'm waiting for more info. If we get it. And if it's not completely spun.

Thank goodness I live in rural Colorado...
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

3. Quote Originally Posted by GB-Boater View Post
    Same around here.
    Or Pheseant
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

Or Pheseant
    That's probably what they'd assume here. Or rabbit. Lots of those.
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

5. This is a tragedy created by the PARANOID LIBERAL PROGRESSIVE DEMOCRATS and MAJOR MEDIA!! Not to mention the REGIME in the DISTRICT of COMMUNISM!! These officers need to be tried for murder for being SO IRRESPONSIBLE!!

The Second Amendment protects All Rights!!

6. Cops carry less than deadly force with them!! Better to taze the kid than kill him!!

The Second Amendment protects All Rights!!

ezkl2230 Guest
    According to the link telpinaro posted the rifle wasn't a toy it was a replica. Not sure what the diference is...
    A toy is usually made out of plastic and designed to pop caps or make some other noise; by law it must have a blaze orange tip on it. A replica, on the other hand, is usually made out of the same materials as the real thing, but is designed not to chamber ammo or fire. If the teen was carrying a replica, an officer would have no way of knowing whether it was the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GB-Boater View Post
    I have to agree with benq also. The kid should have been taught to respect/obey the officer.
    I wonder if they'll post a photo of the toy rifle to see if it has the orange tip ?
    We don't know that the kid didn't. Sounds like he didn't have time. This from the article: "O'Leary said the deputies fired several rounds from their handguns immediately after issuing the orders to drop the rifle". I have read in many of these encounters where unarmed people were killed that police were very quick to discharge their weapons because they felt threatened. Blame is always placed on the victim because he didn't jump high enough when the police said jump. The department is quick to release a statement about the awful tragedy that unfolded and how proper procedure bla bla bla was followed after an internal investigation. I have about as much faith in their internal investigation as I do in Obama doing something good for this country. MI.45 hit the nail on the head. We will never get the whole truth.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

FNWylde Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ezkl2230 View Post
    OK - now I'm going to ask the one question no one else has asked. The reporters obtained the comments of the parents through a spanish speaker. Did the boy even speak english? From what I can see in the article, it appears that A) the boy never actually pointed the replica at officers, he just never put it down, B) this may have been a migrant family and C) there might have been a language barrier that prevented the boy from understanding the demand. In any case, it appears to me that the officers made a really bad call here.
    Good points. And wrt the language barrier, does this sound anything like the 300lb probation officer who ordered a 12lb dog to back up and then shot it for failing to obey a command?

Quote Originally Posted by FNWylde View Post
    Good points. And wrt the language barrier, does this sound anything like the 300lb probation officer who ordered a 12lb dog to back up and then shot it for failing to obey a command?
    That's the first thing that popped in to my head too!
    Modern Whig

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Here's the unobstructed view of the same picture telpinaro's link had on it. It was hard to tell on that pic if we were seeing the muzzle where the blaze orange tip would be if it was indeed a toy. This one is very clear, and much more consistent with it being a replica rather than a toy:

However, the article at the site where I found that pic says it is actually a pellet gun. I've got a pellet gun that will spit out .17 projectiles at over 1200 fps (Gamo Whisper), so if it's true that the "replica" was actually a pellet gun, it certainly could be a seriously deadly weapon. But whether replica or pellet gun, it sure doesn't look like a toy to me.

I will be very surprised if the two cops that fired on the boy get any disciplinary action at all. I am most certainly not saying that the cops weren't too quick to pull their triggers, I simply don't have enough information at this point to make that determination, but I'm not 100% convinced that there is no legal justification for them doing it either. Everyone knows that I'm not a fan of cops in general, but looking at the pic of that "replica" or "pellet" gun, whichever it is, and leaving the possibility open that the cops are telling the truth that they opened fire only when the kid turned towards them after not obeying their orders to drop it while his back was turned towards them, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have opened fire in the same situation. I'm not viewing it as just a CC'er on the street in this situation, I'm thinking more like when I worked in armed security at a huge crime-ridden apartment complex and something like this might have gone down. Whatever, that pic tells more than the initial written reports we were all going off of to begin with. That looks like an AK SBR to me. I can see nothing that would tell me from just inches away, much less 20 to 30 feet away, that it was anything but a real deadly weapon. I gotta give the cops the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Blues

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast