A law enforcement notification law that I would like to see passed....
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A law enforcement notification law that I would like to see passed....

A law enforcement notification law that I would like to see passed....

What would you think of the following law? Especially those of you of the opinion that a person should notify a LEO of a carry permit and any guns being carried:

1. Any person who is stopped by a law enforcement officer for an official purpose may, but is not required to, inform the officer of any lawfully carried weapons, including firearms; and may, but is not required to, provide any documentation that is legally required to carry such weapons.

2. Once the officer receives such notification by the person stopped, and there is no reasonable evidence to suggest the weapon and/or firearm is being carried or transported illegally, the officer is then prohibited from threatening the use of physical force (including, but not limited to drawing their own firearm), frisking the subject, searching any portion of any vehicle or structure the person is or was occupying at the time of notification without consent or a lawfully obtained search warrant and is prohibited from seizing any of the weapons/firearms disclosed by the subject, regardless of the temporary nature of the seizure. Such prohibitions of law enforcement actions will remain in effect for the during of the detainment of the subject.

3. The prohibitions of law enforcement actions in paragraph 2 will cease to apply only if the officer develops probable cause that would warrant the lawful custodial arrest of the subject.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Oh.... and add 4. Any officer violating the prohibitions contained in paragraph 2 shall be charged with and may be convicted of the crime of equal nature as if one non-law enforcement person took the same action against another non-law enforcement person without provocation (for example, but not limited to theft, robbery, assault, making deadly threats)

If such a law existed, would you voluntarily notify?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Absolutely not. Paragraph 3 is way toooooooo vague. LEO's have done many egregious acts using "probable cause" as their defense.

How about this law. Any officer pulling someone over for a traffic violation should have learned what the 4th and 5th Amendments are prior to doing so. Failure to comply with the law of the land will be due cause to lose your badge.

I know this won't fly either because of the vagueness of the wording. But it would be nice if the LE were held to the standard of our Constitution.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Now everyone knows that LE knows and ALWAYS obeys all laws!

When pulled over the officer should have to immediately give the reason for the stop.
    That reason would be given before asking for id, etc.
    Summer hobby is boating on the Bay and Lake Michigan.
    Winter hobby is driving that Jeep off the sides of mountains.

7. After reading all the blather about this topic I've come to the conclusion that I'm glad Oklahoma has this law. Now I don't have to spend endless hours on the internet fretting over whether or not to tell the cop, the law say I have to so I have to. Decision made, done deal.
    We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee, we don't take our trips on LSD. We don't burn our draft cards Down on Main Street. 'Cause we like livin' right and being free.

8. Quote Originally Posted by vernsimpson View Post
    Now everyone knows that LE knows and ALWAYS obeys all laws!
    Wish I could remember the user from another forum who said, "LEOs are not required to know the laws, only enforce them".
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

we don't need any more steekin laws, the laws regarding notification are just fine as they are

Quote Originally Posted by GB-Boater View Post
    When pulled over the officer should have to immediately give the reason for the stop.
    That reason would be given before asking for id, etc.

Every time I have been stopped the first thing the officer has said was, "Do you know why I pulled you over?" The only logical reason I can see for that question is to tempt me to provide a verbal confession of committing an infraction that they could then use in court against me. "Your honor, the defendant knew they were committing and infraction because when Officer Friendly asked him, 'Do you know why I stopped you?' the defendant replied, "Probably because I rolled through that stop sign back there?" Seems to me like it would be just as easy for Officer Friendly to state, right up front, "I stopped you because....".

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    we don't need any more steekin laws, the laws regarding notification are just fine as they are
    For which state?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast