WATCH: N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: WATCH: N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Robgmn View Post
    Sorry, but it's acting like a moron.
    In our society, when someone speaks to you, it is a societal norm to respond, whether it's a person on the sidewalk, a cop, a stock-person in a store, or the POTUS.

    A "yes/no" question is not asking for a confession, it's asking the driver if they know what is happening. An answer of "no" is not terribly difficult, and it does not incriminate you in any way.
    There is no law that says you are supposed to know why a cop pulls you over, and there is no penalty for not knowing why if a cop asks you.

    Getting tired of apologists who think that acting like an *** in society is a good thing.
    Chris Rock did a great skit on how to act around the police. I couldn't have said it better.

    I can't link to it, but if you look up Chris Rock and Police on Youtube, ya' can't miss it.
    why do cops like you think that a person protecting their rights by not offering info, by not engaging in " friendly chit chat" is acting like an ahole? I am not arguing with the cop I am not denying anything I am cooperating with his commands to produce documents, I am just not talking to him about how the weather is. a cop is a hammer and to him everyone he encounters is a nail that needs pounding, I try not to get pounded.
    WARNING:
    This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by Robgmn View Post
    Accuse me of throwing a temper tantrum when I state that some people in our society act like jackasses.
    I can provide proof, but there are far too many options out there to pick from.

    The category of "Jackasses who are going to prove their knowledge of the 2nd Amendment to the police" fills dozens of pages alone.
    Would hyperlinks to proofs make you feel better?
    Interesting how you have to shift your argument away from the video in the OP to all those other examples. How about if we stay on topic to the video in the OP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robgmn View Post
    It IS pretty neat that the ACLU attorney knowns what the intent of the question was:
    "They wanted her to incriminate herself,"€ said Alexander Shalom, the senior staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union's New Jersey chapter, after reviewing the dashboard video from the incident. "They wanted her to say, 'Yeah, I was going a little too fast'"

    Did the troopers tell him this, or is he stating it as fact before it's proven?
    But it's OK for you to ASSume the reason for the woman remaining silent, according to you - being a moron.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robgmn View Post
    Maybe they wanted her to say "no" so they could explain.
    How hard would it be for officer friendly to just state, "The reason I stopped you is....?" It takes longer for the officer to ask a question and wait for an answer then just to make the statement up front.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robgmn View Post
    Maybe they wanted to make sure she was able to speak English before asking for her documents.
    The question wasn't "do you speak English?" If that is what they wanted to know, why not just ask that question? Or why not just ask for her documents and wait for a reply of "No speak English?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Robgmn View Post
    Imagine if she was drunk, but they just ticketed her and let her go based on her refusal to answer questions.
    Then the ACLU and every other group out there would be suing the State Police for allowing a drunk driver to leave a stop and kill someone.
    So, imagine if officer friendly asks you to step out of your vehicle and open the trunk and glove box for just a quick look. After all - we wouldn't want a drug dealer driving away from a stop for speeding with a car load of drugs to sell, now would we? So would you classify yourself as a moron for saying no to that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robgmn View Post
    To avoid all the whining and hand-wringing, maybe we should just eliminate police departments altogether and let society sort it out.
    Or maybe we should just insist that police officers do their jobs within the bounds of their limited authority.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,922
    i just went back and watched the entire video and my opinion has changed completely. She screwed the pooch big time. With all the things that she did say it would have been reasonable for her to start (And end) with " I elect to exercise my right to remain silent."

    I have to agree with robgmn, she was a moron.

    If you're going to remain silent, remain silent period. Don't answer some questions and not others. Had she kept her mouth shut all the way through she very likely would have had a case.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  5. I suspect there are just way too many A-holes out there on the streets believing they are large and in charge in their arrogant little minds.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
    I suspect there are just way too many A-holes out there on the streets believing they are large and in charge in their arrogant little minds.
    And that's why when we interact with them any good lawyer will advise you to keep your mouth shut and provide only the information and documentation required by law to provide.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And that's why when we interact with them any good lawyer will advise you to keep your mouth shut and provide only the information and documentation required by law to provide.
    Of course! That's why you need lawyers. Then, next they'll advise you of their fee structure, right?

    This is not an investigation interview. It's a traffic stop. Can you imagine the distinction there WRT your lawyer advice? Ever heard of the word "cooperate?" It's usually a great course of action for people in traffic stops with nothing to hide and no axe to grind.

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    any answer could be turned around on you later and then a charge of obstruction could be filed after the fact. you are protecting yourself by offering only the required credentials and remaining silent.
    He knows. He just wants to stir thing up.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by Nadir Point View Post
    Of course! That's why you need lawyers. Then, next they'll advise you of their fee structure, right?

    This is not an investigation interview. It's a traffic stop. Can you imagine the distinction there WRT your lawyer advice? Ever heard of the word "cooperate?" It's usually a great course of action for people in traffic stops with nothing to hide and no axe to grind.
    You pull over in a safe place when the lights behind you come on. You produce for the officer your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. You sign on the dotted line stating that you have physically received the citation. How is that not cooperating with the officer? Why should any officer EXPECT any more cooperation that that? Again, if the officer asks you to open your trunk so he can have a quick peek inside are you just going to "cooperate" because you have nothing to hide and no axe to grind? We wouldn't want drug dealers just driving away from traffic stops, would we when a simple peek would ensure that you are not one and make some people feel safer? What if he wants you to open a door so he can shine a flashlight under the seats? Just cooperate because you have nothing to hide?

    Just because I have nothing to hide does not obligate me to prove that to the officer just because he asks.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  10. #29
    Perhaps she was simply trying the Lois Lerner (IRS) Congressional testimony strategy ... / sarcasm / ... but it worked for Lois Lerner.

  11. Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast