WATCH: N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 68

Thread: WATCH: N.J. troopers arrest woman for remaining silent during traffic stop

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    I don't answer trick questions, nor do I answer questioners who I already know ask trick questions.
    You don't have to answer the question just keep your head out of the orifice she put her's in.

    "Do you know why I stopped you tonight?"

    "I'd rather not answer any questions officer."

    Then don't say another word except (if necessary) to explicitly state "I wish to exercise my right to remain silent"

    If you have to say that Do. Not. Say. Another. Word.

    Had homegirls done that odds are she would have been cited and released
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Had homegirls done that odds are she would have been cited and released
    And there was absolutely no reason why she could not have been cited and released anyway. If we admit the subject stopped was wrong in the way she acted, that does not excuse the cops from not just doing their job, writing a ticket and being done with it.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  4. #53



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    And there was absolutely no reason why she could not have been cited and released anyway. If we admit the subject stopped was wrong in the way she acted, that does not excuse the cops from not just doing their job, writing a ticket and being done with it.
    Yeah, how did that work out for her?

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Yeah, how did that work out for her?
    We don't know yet, the lawsuit hasn't been settled. Hopefully, it works out quite well for her.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  7. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Posts
    7,819
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    You don't have to answer the question just keep your head out of the orifice she put her's in.

    "Do you know why I stopped you tonight?"

    "I'd rather not answer any questions officer."

    Then don't say another word except (if necessary) to explicitly state "I wish to exercise my right to remain silent"

    If you have to say that Do. Not. Say. Another. Word.

    Had homegirls done that odds are she would have been cited and released
    But wait..... You've argued in several posts now that opening her mouth at all put her the legal status of having WAIVED her rights. Now your only bone of contention is whether to inform verbally or silently that you don't want to answer questions.

    All you're doing is moving the goal posts all around the field. What you suggest above is a perfectly good option under a couple or three schools of thought on how best to protect your rights during interactions with cops. I am not arguing against the prudence of that advice anymore than I was about the prudence of never saying anything to cops.

    Do you ever just kick back, relax, and have a non-confrontational conversation? If you say "Yes," it would be difficult to prove by just reviewing your posting history here.

    Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,912
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    But wait..... You've argued in several posts now that opening her mouth at all put her the legal status of having WAIVED her rights. Now your only bone of contention is whether to inform verbally or silently that you don't want to answer questions.

    All you're doing is moving the goal posts all around the field. What you suggest above is a perfectly good option under a couple or three schools of thought on how best to protect your rights during interactions with cops. I am not arguing against the prudence of that advice anymore than I was about the prudence of never saying anything to cops.

    Do you ever just kick back, relax, and have a non-confrontational conversation? If you say "Yes," it would be difficult to prove by just reviewing your posting history here.

    Blues
    Opening her mouth did put her in the legal status of having waived her right to remain silent. My contention in this has always been if you're going to waive your rights do so effectively.

    "I'd rather not answer questions." is explicitly invoking your right to remain silent. Since the incident was recorded you are on record as having invoked your rights and there's no way they can hold your assertion of your rights against you.

    Personally I don't think you could pull it off you'd be too interested in showing the cops that you were the smartest guy in the room
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  9. #58
    Speaking IS waiving your right to remain silent.
    Where's the confusion?

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Personally I don't think you could pull it off you'd be too interested in showing the cops that you were the smartest guy in the room
    Yep, no Pullitzer prizes in the offing for bootboy, that's for sure.

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,912
    The post seems to have disappeared (and I'm pretty sure I know why) but I seem to remember someone asserting that you need say NOTHING to invoke your right to remain silent and challenging anyone to provide legal precedent stating otherwise.

    Bergheim V Thompkins docket # 08-1470 SCOTUS
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast