Any LEO encounters where you show a CCW permit from another state?

Thread: Any LEO encounters where you show a CCW permit from another state?

1. Any LEO encounters where you show a CCW permit from another state?

Some states won't give a CCW permit to a non-resident, but do honor CCW permits from certain other states. Has anyone had an experience where they displayed an out-of-state CCW permit that was supposed to be honored by the state you were stopped in? Did everything go OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog View Post
    Some states won't give a CCW permit to a non-resident, but do honor CCW permits from certain other states. Has anyone had an experience where they displayed an out-of-state CCW permit that was supposed to be honored by the state you were stopped in? Did everything go OK?

Not exactly your scenario but.... I live in Idaho and have a non-resident permit from Washington. (Washington does not accept Idaho's and I spend time in both states). I went to my county Idaho Sheriff's office and asked them if Iwas good to carry in Idaho as a resident and was told yes as they accept permits from all other states.

I haven't been had to display for a deputy or trooper but according to the SO I'm ok.

I live in Louisiana and have a non-res Florida permit. I was pulled over in Texas for not having my headlights on one foggy morning, I was also going about 5 miles over the posted limit. The stop was made by a Texas trooper, I handed him my license and permit when he got to the window. He told me why he stopped me, asked where my pistol was and said he'd be back in a minute. When he came back he gave me a written warning for the lights and sent me on my way. The stop took a little more than 5 mins, he never seemed concerned about the out of state non-res permit or the weapon. I was pulled over in Slidell La by a female motorcylce deputy a couple years back for speeding with simular results only that time I took home a ticket. Both officers were very professional and never gave my pistol or permit more attention I felt than was warrented.

Situation: Council, Idaho - I had a current WA resident concealed handgun permit.

A few years ago I was asked by an Idaho Sheriff's officer if I was carrying a gun.
    I replied, "No."

Then he asked if I usually carried a gun.
    I replied, "Yes."

So, now he asks, "Where is your gun?"
    I replied, "Locked in the trunk of my car."

He asked, "Why aren't you carrying it now?"
    I replied, "Because we are standing in a Sheriff's station with the county courthouse built into the other end of the building."

THEN, he told me Idaho honors all other states' permits and if I would feel better with my gun on, I should feel free to go to the car and put it on.

I decided at that exact moment that Idaho was on the short list of places I would consider living.

Excellent encounter despite the circumstances at the time.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Idaho rocks! I love it here. I don't think that I could ever live in WA or OR again.

Apologize since it is off-topic a bit but also kind of relevant. Does Idaho record their CWP cross-referenced with the DL? Is it a "required-to-notify state"?

Maybe this kind of information is in our state regs database somewhere.?...

Update: Our database is just blank next to the spot saying Notify Law Enforcement:
    Last edited by ecocks; 01-04-2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

Quote Originally Posted by ecocks View Post
    Apologize since it is off-topic a bit but also kind of relevant. Does Idaho record their CWP cross-referenced with the DL? Is it a "required-to-notify state"?

Maybe this kind of information is in our state regs database somewhere.?...

Update: Our database is just blank next to the spot saying Notify Law Enforcement:
    The CWP has the DL number on it. I don't know for sure but I don't think it is a "required to notify state". Since they are a gun friendly state, I think I would notify there.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears