Police right in shooting Keith Lamont Scott - Page 2
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 114

Thread: Police right in shooting Keith Lamont Scott

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    Far be it for me to say I told you so, but I told you so, way back when this happened.
    Your post makes zero sense. Well, most of your posts make not much sense. You told whom, what, and when?

  2.   
  3. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    How about stop posting about topics that you have no clue about. LEOs these days have little training and a bully attitude, leading them to make stupid decisions, such as driving up to a suspect in a way that their only option is to shoot him, or using a firearm as a "compliance device" leaving them no other option than to shoot upon perceived (not actual) non-compliance, or shooting a person that is not an imminent threat, or just shooting the wrong person.

    The rest of your post is just the usual "he had it coming" BS. Not all police shootings are justified, unless you want the bullies in uniform running your neighborhood. The Keith Lamont Scott shooting seems to be justified. The Charles Kinsey shooting was clearly not, neither was the Philando Castile shooting.
    First I am a 16 year veteran police officer and seen both sides of this topic. All our training says if you see something you can't walk away when there is any possibility of danger to the public. I don't say anymore deserves to be kill by police. We serve the people, and if leaders at the top don't stand behind and just jump to the conclusion that the cop was wrong than the system needs to be fixed. Also if people continue to remain non-compliant then we will continue to see more shootings. Not all Cops are bullies, most are just trying to do their job. You mentioned training, Cops are trained to gain control in some of the most dangerous situations where a second of indecision can get them killed. I know that is the job and what we signed up for, but do you want Police to give their lives before they draw their weapons. That is not realistic.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by trmac2016 View Post
    First I am a 16 year veteran police officer and seen both sides of this topic. All our training says if you see something you can't walk away when there is any possibility of danger to the public. I don't say anymore deserves to be kill by police. We serve the people, and if leaders at the top don't stand behind and just jump to the conclusion that the cop was wrong than the system needs to be fixed. Also if people continue to remain non-compliant then we will continue to see more shootings. Not all Cops are bullies, most are just trying to do their job. You mentioned training, Cops are trained to gain control in some of the most dangerous situations where a second of indecision can get them killed. I know that is the job and what we signed up for, but do you want Police to give their lives before they draw their weapons. That is not realistic.
    You clearly do not understand what I have been talking about. I also doubt that you are a "16 year veteran police officer", otherwise you would know what I am talking about.

    No one says that a LEO should walk away from a situation. However, how about not screwing it up with a piss-poor bully attitude and piss-poor training? Here are some examples:

    • Charles Kinsey: An officer shot at a mentally ill person that was not a threat. He missed 3 times. One of the misses hit Charles Kinsey. There was zero justification for any shooting. The officer is still with the force. Other officers who made false statements about the incident were also not charged.
    • Philando Castile: Was shot during a traffic stop by an officer who was afraid of his own shadow and put himself into this situation by not following the correct procedures for a felony stop. The shooting will likely be called justified although it was not.
    • Tamir Rice: Officers drove up to a suspect of a "man with a gun" call so close that they endangered their own life. If Tamir Rice had a firearm that shoots actual bullets and ill intend, one of those officers would be dead today. Instead, Tamir Rice is dead.
    • In my area, an officer jumped in the bed of a truck of a suspected fleeing drunk driver and shot him. The officer endangered his own life and therefore was justified in shooting the driver?

    Lastly, a firearm is not a compliance device. The "comply or die" attitude needs to stop as they set police officers up for failure. It is also unlawful. LEOs are stuck between a rock and a hard place because of such piss-poor policies and training. There is a difference between a person that is a danger and is noncompliant and a person that is not a danger. Persons that are not a danger but noncompliant shouldn't be just shot (and potentially killed). Someone who is dead certainly can't comply anymore!

    And please, stop with this "you want Police to give their lives before they draw their weapons" BS. No one says that.

  5. #14
    See post #1 lamo

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by SR9 View Post
    See post #1 lamo
    See post #2. LMAO

  7. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    You clearly do not understand what I have been talking about. I also doubt that you are a "16 year veteran police officer", otherwise you would know what I am talking about.

    No one says that a LEO should walk away from a situation. However, how about not screwing it up with a piss-poor bully attitude and piss-poor training? Here are some examples:

    • Charles Kinsey: An officer shot at a mentally ill person that was not a threat. He missed 3 times. One of the misses hit Charles Kinsey. There was zero justification for any shooting. The officer is still with the force. Other officers who made false statements about the incident were also not charged.
    • Philando Castile: Was shot during a traffic stop by an officer who was afraid of his own shadow and put himself into this situation by not following the correct procedures for a felony stop. The shooting will likely be called justified although it was not.
    • Tamir Rice: Officers drove up to a suspect of a "man with a gun" call so close that they endangered their own life. If Tamir Rice had a firearm that shoots actual bullets and ill intend, one of those officers would be dead today. Instead, Tamir Rice is dead.
    • In my area, an officer jumped in the bed of a truck of a suspected fleeing drunk driver and shot him. The officer endangered his own life and therefore was justified in shooting the driver?

    Lastly, a firearm is not a compliance device. The "comply or die" attitude needs to stop as they set police officers up for failure. It is also unlawful. LEOs are stuck between a rock and a hard place because of such piss-poor policies and training. There is a difference between a person that is a danger and is noncompliant and a person that is not a danger. Persons that are not a danger but noncompliant shouldn't be just shot (and potentially killed). Someone who is dead certainly can't comply anymore!

    And please, stop with this "you want Police to give their lives before they draw their weapons" BS. No one says that.
    I use my real name and personal email for the post so if you would like you can fact check me. I am an honest Cop who cares about my community and the people of the country. There is good and bad in every profession and I don't dispute that Cops make mistakes. Can you tell me that it a lack of training for Cops to expect people to comply. What do consider the mind set of a person confronted by several police officers with weapons out and pointed, but refuses to drop a gun or quickly raises their hand like they have a gun. Are all police shootings warranted? Unless I am standing in that Officer's shoes at the time of the shooting, or the one investigating the shooting I tend to hold my opinion to myself until all the facts are out. To do otherwise is to be in judgement and I am not a judge. Nuf said.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by trmac2016 View Post
    I use my real name and personal email for the post so if you would like you can fact check me. I am an honest Cop who cares about my community and the people of the country. There is good and bad in every profession and I don't dispute that Cops make mistakes. Can you tell me that it a lack of training for Cops to expect people to comply. What do consider the mind set of a person confronted by several police officers with weapons out and pointed, but refuses to drop a gun or quickly raises their hand like they have a gun. Are all police shootings warranted? Unless I am standing in that Officer's shoes at the time of the shooting, or the one investigating the shooting I tend to hold my opinion to myself until all the facts are out. To do otherwise is to be in judgement and I am not a judge. Nuf said.
    You clearly do not want to understand my posts. All 4 examples I posted clearly show piss-poor training and attitude that endangered the lives of officers and others. Not a single gun was pointed at any officer or in the hand of a suspect. In all these cases, the officers actions set themselves up for failure. That is the very definition of piss-poor training and attitude.

    PS: I regularly train with current and retired police officers and these discussions come up quite often. Veteran officers understand the difference between a justified shooting and a charlie foxtrot.

  9. Just thought you should is this post about the Castile shooting, this is why I don't give an opinion before all the facts are in. There is always 2 sides to every story. Fact is that the video on YouTube you don't hear Castile say anything because it didn't start until after the shooting. At least we don't see what happened before, just after. I wonder why.

    New Info Supports Officer in Shooting of Philando Castile - Blue Lives Matter

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Quote Originally Posted by trmac2016 View Post
    Just thought you should is this post about the Castile shooting, this is why I don't give an opinion before all the facts are in. There is always 2 sides to every story. Fact is that the video on YouTube you don't hear Castile say anything because it didn't start until after the shooting. At least we don't see what happened before, just after. I wonder why.

    New Info Supports Officer in Shooting of Philando Castile - Blue Lives Matter
    Assuming for a moment that Officer Jeronimo Yanez's statements are true, he was stopping a suspected armed robber, i.e., making a felony stop. However, what he did was no such thing. He stopped Castile's car, walked up to it and asked for license and registration based on a busted tail light. Why? That's not how a felony stop is done. If Officer Yanez really wanted to perform a felony stop, then he purposely put himself and others in danger for no good reason. Once again, the officer set himself up for failure using piss-poor procedure, if the whole felony stop story is actually true.

    The linked article provides ZERO justification for shooting Castile, by the way. It mentions his past, which Officer Yanez was apparently in part aware of. From the article: "Philando Castile’s criminal history shows no propensity towards violence." Castile had a carry permit, by the way.

    As for your comment about why the video only started after the shooting. Well, one would assume that the passenger in the car was actually following the lawful commands of the officer instead of fiddling around with a phone and risk getting shot because of it. I am honestly surprised that the passenger wasn't told to drop the phone and keep here hands visible. That was poor procedure too, by the way.

    If Officer Yanez would have performed a proper arrest based on the suspicion of Castile being an armed robber, Castile would be alive and free today and Officer Yanez would be better off.

  11. Some of what you say is true and could of and should of been done differently. That is what a Monday morning quarter back does. Like I always told my kids and anyone I train "do what is right and moral, expecially when no one is watching". It is easy to sit back and judge someone after an incident. I have seen citizens that with very little training react the exact same way when put into similar situations. 9 out of 10 shoot the suspect. As far as the the video goes since it doesn't show what led up to the shooting, one has to believe the officers on scene or someone who is so calm when their body Daddy was shot right in front of them. I guess that I know where you're beliefs are.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast