Pulled over with handgun in glove box - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulled over with handgun in glove box

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    The gun was in the glove box because I do not have a center console in my car. I have applied for, but not received, my CC permit, so the glove box (or the trunk) is the only place I can legally keep a gun in South Carolina.

I also normally have a round chambered but had cleared the pistol earlier in the day and not chambered one again.

Just out of curiosity Glockster, what happens if the SN comes back as not being registered to you? I mean, if it hasn't been used in a crime or anything but hasn't been registered to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    You still haven't revealed what state you're in. At least if we know that, we would know if you're required to notify.
    He said SC so I assume that he lives in SC. There is no duty to notify if you don't have a permit but before you start fumbling around looking for your L&R under your gun you would be wise to let the officer know. This advice was been given to me from attorneys and LEO many years ago before there were any permits in SC. That is one reason that I do not keep a gun in the glove box with my L&R.

Quote Originally Posted by PascalFleischman View Post
    Aha....I misread the "it" part. My apologies.
    I also thought you meant the hand gun. Maybe I read it wrong as well.

I'm curious about the law. I don't know if it's the same in other states as it is in Nevada.

Here, we can carry firearms in our vehicles because they are considered extensions of our homes and we can have concealed firearms in our homes.

I wonder about the history behind carrying in our cars. I have a ccw so I can carry concealed upon my person. But if I had no ccw then I could not conceal the pistol on me while I was in my car. I could only have it concealed in the car itself.

The pistol is just as easily brought into fire position from the center console as it is from my hip, so, I'm wondering, if the pistol is in the center console and is as accessible to me as it would be if it were on my hip, why won't the law allow me to have the pistol concealed on my hip while in my car just as I am able to do in my home?

Does anyone know the history behind the way the codes or the case laws came about to have this distinction?

I thought this was similar, but I don't mean to hi-jack your thread. I'll re-post this in a thread of it's own if you wish.

In SC the law as long as I can remember is that you could carry a gun in the glove box of your car. I do not remember what the exact law was but there were some AG interpretations on it that also included latched satchels. They did not have to be locked, only have a "latch". This made for some confusion and the popularity of consoles in cars became almost the standard. The law was "refined" to specifically state either glove box or console. In SC there is no open carry provision except for certain instances such as on the way to hunting or fishing etc. The only way to carry without a permit and those exceptions are in the glove box or console.

Your point about as easily from the console as your hip may be a good one but when you get out of your car then what do you do with your gun if you don't have a permit?

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    He said SC so I assume that he lives in SC. There is no duty to notify if you don't have a permit but before you start fumbling around looking for your L&R under your gun you would be wise to let the officer know. This advice was been given to me from attorneys and LEO many years ago before there were any permits in SC. That is one reason that I do not keep a gun in the glove box with my L&R.
    Well my next question is, how long will it be before you get your CWP and can carry wherever and however you want in your vehicle?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Well my next question is, how long will it be before you get your CWP and can carry wherever and however you want in your vehicle?
    If you are refering to me I have had my permit for several years and still do not carry one in my glove box. As for carrying one wherever and however you want you still cannot do that in SC. Even with a permit it still must be concealed even in your car.

My understanding was that if you have a CWP you could no longer carry in the glove box or console. I though you HAD to carry it on you (or in a purse for a woman). Is that wrong? Once I get my CWP I would still be more comfortable if I could move the pistol to the glove box when I was driving.
    SC CWP
    Kimber Ultra II
    Taurus PT1911 ALR

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive1 View Post
    My understanding was that if you have a CWP you could no longer carry in the glove box or console. I though you HAD to carry it on you (or in a purse for a woman). Is that wrong?
    You can ask 3 cops and you may get 3 different responses; my suggestion, particularly since you're considering internet advice which may or may not be something you want to stake a potential arrest on, is to reference the law and go from there.

In SC the law as long as I can remember is that you could carry a gun in the glove box of your car. I do not remember what the exact law was but there were some AG interpretations on it that also included latched satchels. They did not have to be locked, only have a "latch". This made for some confusion and the popularity of consoles in cars became almost the standard. The law was "refined" to specifically state either glove box or console. In SC there is no open carry provision except for certain instances such as on the way to hunting or fishing etc. The only way to carry without a permit and those exceptions are in the glove box or console.

Your point about as easily from the console as your hip may be a good one but when you get out of your car then what do you do with your gun if you don't have a permit?
    If you are asking me, in Nevada we can open carry. Simply put, the pistol would then be held in a open carry holster once we exit our vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive1 View Post
    My understanding was that if you have a CWP you could no longer carry in the glove box or console. I though you HAD to carry it on you (or in a purse for a woman). Is that wrong? Once I get my CWP I would still be more comfortable if I could move the pistol to the glove box when I was driving.
    Why would you want to carry in the glove box? It's not accessible. If you carry your registration (& insurance proof where required) there (which is not a good idea either) you have to go into the glove box in what a cop is going to see as threatening move.

I just took a class (for Utah carry permit) and the suggestion came up to carry your registration & insurance on your visor and your drivers license & Carry Permit where they are easily accessed. The idea is to not have to make any movements that could unduly upset a cop when he is approaching your car and giving you the warning (hopefully rather than the ticket ).
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

If you are refering to me I have had my permit for several years and still do not carry one in my glove box. As for carrying one wherever and however you want you still cannot do that in SC. Even with a permit it still must be concealed even in your car.
    Actually, I was referring to the guy who originally started the thread. Sorry, I should have mentioned his name in my last post. And, when I said carrying however he wants, I meant being able to carry on his person or under the seat if he so chooses.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast