Pulled over with handgun in glove box
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 62

Thread: Pulled over with handgun in glove box

  1. Pulled over with handgun in glove box

    Well, I got my annual traffic ticket today for doing 59 in a 40. It seemed like a routine stop, but it was the first time I've been stopped with a gun in the glove box, so I thought I'd post it.

    I turned into a parking lot after seeing the blue lights and parked. I switched on the dome light, rolled down my window and placed my hands on the side mirror as the officer got out of the car. The female cop approached me, identified herself, and asked for license and registration. I handed her my license, informed her that I had a handgun in the glove box, and asked if she would prefer to retrieve it.

    She said yes, rather quickly, and walked around to the passenger's side door. She opened the door, opened the glovebox, and retrieved my PT-140, which she stuck in her belt without checking the chamber. She then took my information, along with my pistol, back to her car where she filled out the ticket and (I assume) checked the serial numbers in my gun.

    She came back and handed me my registration and license, and placed the magazine in the glove box. She took the pistol, at slide lock and put it in the passenger's door compartment, commenting that it was "safer that way." She also handed my one loose .40 round.

    Overall, I'd say it was no different than a routine traffic stop. I was glad to find out that she didn't inadvertantly point my weapon at me, although there was no round in the chamber. I later concluded that she racked the side to clear the gun without first dropping the magazine, hence the one loose round.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gray Court, SC
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    She took the pistol, at slide lock and put it in the passenger's door compartment, commenting that it was "safer that way." She also handed my one loose .40 round.
    Safer for whom? The BG. What good is a firearm if you can't reach it? BTW, if they ever rack mine they will get a live round. All of mine have a round in the chamber and ready to go.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    May I ask why your gun was in the glovebox and not somewhere closer and more accessible, like your person or the center console? Also, why was there not a round chambered?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Safer for whom? The BG. What good is a firearm if you can't reach it? BTW, if they ever rack mine they will get a live round. All of mine have a round in the chamber and ready to go.
    I think she was talking about safer for her to return the firearm. I agree with Red Hat and Tatt in that I would have had a round chambered.

    Glad everything went pretty smooth and it didn't end up with you in handcuffs.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Grand Strand / South Carolina
    Posts
    91
    I would think she meant safer for her to get back to her car because you couldn't easilty reach it. Was nice of her to lock it back so when you reinstalled the magazine you'd have one in the chaber

    What police department was the office from?
    SC CWP
    Kimber Ultra II
    Taurus PT1911 ALR

  7. #6
    We can nitpick this to death but overall I would say that she handled it nicely. One question that I have is that everyone always assumes that the LEO runs the serial number of their gun in a case like this but do they actually do it?

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Heart of Dixie
    Posts
    1,225
    If you are polite and cooperative your experience with an LEO should go smoothly. Yes we always check the serial. About a month ago on reserve duty, my lieutenant and I pulled over a car for speeding. The driver announced that he did have a pistol under the seat. However, upon asking him to exit the vehicle, we noticed the handle of a gun under his thigh right in the fron seat. We immediately drew our weapons and ordered him out of the car. It was a Hi-point 9mm so we secured it and set it on the hood of our car. We then commenced to searching his vehicle for illegal contraban and weapons. He had two more guns in the trunk, a semi-auto rifle and another handgun. We ran the serials on all and checked to see if he had a CC permit. He checked out and so did the guns and we let him go.

  9. The gun was in the glove box because I do not have a center console in my car. I have applied for, but not received, my CC permit, so the glove box (or the trunk) is the only place I can legally keep a gun in South Carolina.

    I also normally have a round chambered but had cleared the pistol earlier in the day and not chambered one again.

    Just out of curiosity Glockster, what happens if the SN comes back as not being registered to you? I mean, if it hasn't been used in a crime or anything but hasn't been registered to you.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    If you are polite and cooperative your experience with an LEO should go smoothly. Yes we always check the serial. About a month ago on reserve duty, my lieutenant and I pulled over a car for speeding. The driver announced that he did have a pistol under the seat. However, upon asking him to exit the vehicle, we noticed the handle of a gun under his thigh right in the fron seat. We immediately drew our weapons and ordered him out of the car. It was a Hi-point 9mm so we secured it and set it on the hood of our car. We then commenced to searching his vehicle for illegal contraban and weapons. He had two more guns in the trunk, a semi-auto rifle and another handgun. We ran the serials on all and checked to see if he had a CC permit. He checked out and so did the guns and we let him go.
    What grounds did you have the right to search the car?? I hope your not going to say because he had a gun? I will be polite to a officer who gives it first if they walk up like they are hot ***** then i will return it right back to them. I love how some LEO walk around thinking they are the only ones who have a right to carry a gun. You always get "Why do you carry a gun" Or "Why would you want to carry a gun".

    THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gray Court, SC
    Posts
    2,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post

    Just out of curiosity Glockster, what happens if the SN comes back as not being registered to you? I mean, if it hasn't been used in a crime or anything but hasn't been registered to you.
    We don't have to register firearms in SC. The only record is with the FFL that sold it last and they keep the paperwork until they turn in their license.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast