Officer Jeronimo Yanez will be charged for shooting Philando Castile
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Officer Jeronimo Yanez will be charged for shooting Philando Castile

Exclamation Officer Jeronimo Yanez will be charged for shooting Philando Castile

This is just hitting the news - Officer in Castile shooting faces manslaughter charge:

Ramsey County Attorney John Choi announced during a Wednesday morning press conference that officer Jeronimo Yanez will face three charges for shooting and killing Philando Castile on July 6.

Choi said it was his conclusion that "use of deadly force by Officer Yanez was not justified." Yanez was charged Wednesday with second-degree manslaughter and two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm.

Castile, 32, was fatally shot July 6 by St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights. A video recorded by his girlfriend, showing him bleeding in the car while the officer stood nearby, touched off widespread outrage and protests.

Choi's office has been reviewing evidence in the shooting since Sept. 28, when the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension handed him its findings. Choi said Wednesday he chose to make the decision on charging himself, rather than turning the case over to a grand jury.

In explaining how Yanez's actions did not meet the legal standard for justified use of deadly force, Choi said "it is not enough... to express subjective fear of death or great bodily harm."

The charges come a year and a day after Minneapolis police fatally shot Jamar Clark, a case that Choi has used as guidance in his handling of the Castile shooting. Choi has noted that Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman reviewed evidence in the Clark case for seven weeks before deciding that the officers should not be criminally charged in Clark's death. Freeman did not take the Clark case to a grand jury, going against long-held practices in Minnesota.

Other sources:

Minnesota officer charged with manslaughter for fatally shooting Philando Castile during incident streamed on Facebook
    Officer Who Shot Philando Castile Charged With Manslaughter

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Thanks for keeping an eye on this, bofh.

So what is the process when a Grand Jury is not empaneled? Is there a Probable Cause Hearing before the jury selection/trial gets under way, or does the judge simply rule on probable cause based on information in the charging papers and police reports etc., then get on with the trial?

I guess more info about Choi will be forthcoming as ACLU, BLM and other parties seek to establish his biases (or lack thereof) against citizens and on behalf of cops. I'm not particularly thrilled with the charges as far as I understand them. Seem kind of lightweight to me for a dead man who the prosecution apparently has concluded was no threat to Yanez. Seems some kind of reckless endangerment charges of both the girlfriend and their toddler daughter would be in order too, but maybe that's a stretch. In any case, I'd say the whole thing hinges on how comfortable CA Choi is with vigorously prosecuting killer cops. Perhaps the aforementioned .orgs will dig up his record in that regard. Doesn't seem unimportant to me.

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Officer Jeronimo Yanez will be charged for shooting Philando Castile

I don't have much time to follow up on this today, but if you look at the news reports, you will see that there are additional charges regarding endangerment.

It took me a while to find the probable cause statement. The charges are 2nd degree manslaughter and two counts of intentional discharge of a firearm that endangers safety.

This is a great example for the need for mandatory notification laws... NOT.

If Philando Castile had not UNNECESSARILY notified the trigger happy cop that he had a lawfully carried gun, he'd still be alive.

So much for that "put the cop at his ease" garbage...

7. Informing can be bad for your health. One would need to practice the right words.

It sure looks as though this officer wasn't capable of accurate threat assessment.

I do worry that the standards for police use of weapons is too low of a bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It probably didn't help that he thought he was pulling over an armed robber. The other cop on the scene said in his statement during the investigation that he did not feel threatened. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Regardless of what happens in court I believe the city will settle with the girlfriend in the form of a big check.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
    Regardless of what happens in court I believe the city will settle with the girlfriend in the form of a big check.
    Regardless of the merits of any civil suits, I believe that the fanbois will call it "the ghetto lottery".

They will "explain" that Castile waited his whole life to be wrongfully shot to death by a trigger happy cop so that he could "cash in".

Arrow Here We Go - The 'He Was Reaching for his Gun' Claim

From Lawyers claim cop was 'justified' in shooting dead Philando Castile because the black cafeteria worker 'was reaching for his gun' moments before his girlfriend captured his death on Facebook live:

Attorneys for a Minnesota police officer accused of fatally shooting Philando Castile during a traffic stop say the 32-year-old black man was reaching for his gun when he was killed.

In a memorandum filed on Tuesday, defense attorneys for officer Jeronimo Yanez argued his actions were 'intentional and justified' because Castile reached for his gun, which they said was 'accessible'.

The memo contradicts prosecutors' claims that Yanez, who is charged with manslaughter and two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm, didn't see the weapon and made conflicting statements about it..

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    The memo contradicts prosecutors' claims that Yanez, who is charged with manslaughter and two felony counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm, didn't see the weapon and made conflicting statements about it..
    Sounds like, through his lawyer, he just made another one. Doesn't matter though. He'll get off.
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast