Here we go again with the traffic stop....thanks Luke! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Here we go again with the traffic stop....thanks Luke!

  1. Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    If there is a duty to inform law in effect, and you don't inform the cop, then when/if he/she sees your gun they will draw on you, and you might even get shot if you don't exactly comply with instructions next.

    Best thing is always to obey the law -- stupid law or not.

    Stupid laws come from stupid legislators who were elected by stupid people.

    Calif, NYS, Mass., NJ, and certain cities like Chicago and DC are loaded with stupid people and stupid laws like this.
    Nobody is advocating breaking the law. There are only about 10 states with the useless "must inform" laws. In those states, follow the law. In the other 40 states that don't have these laws, the author of the article referenced in the OP thinks you should tell the officer about your license and gun anyway. I disagree. This is the reason given in the article for telling:

    "The reason I say to inform the officer is because you’re giving him the knowledge and the choice as to how to proceed. It’s a ton better than if he sees your gun flop out of the glove box when you reach in to get your registration. More importantly, it’s communicating to him that you value both of your safety. As complete strangers, neither one of you necessarily know if you can trust the other. What you have, as a common ground, is common courtesy."

    I say if the officer IS going to see the gun anyway, such as if the gun is in the glove box for whatever reason and you have to get your registration from there, then yes, inform him about it. But if the gun is concealed in a holster on your belt, I say keep your mouth shut about it. If the officer isn't likely to see it anyway, telling them about it is only going to invite them to disarm you, which is a danger to everyone involved. If the officer is concerned about you being armed, then it should be on them to ask about it.

    And here's another interesting point about "must inform" laws: they can only apply to people who are legally carrying a gun. The "must inform" law cannot apply to a person illegally carrying a gun because it would violate that person's right to remain silent in order to not be confessing to a crime and self-incriminating.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gondor
    Posts
    1,897
    You know, Luke makes bank every time someone clicks his click bait and here's Ol' Navy advertising for him.
    In an emergency individuals do not rise to the occasion, they fall to the level of their MASTERED training
    Barrett Tillman

  4. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Nobody is advocating breaking the law. There are only about 10 states with the useless "must inform" laws. In those states, follow the law. In the other 40 states that don't have these laws, the author of the article referenced in the OP thinks you should tell the officer about your license and gun anyway. I disagree. This is the reason given in the article for telling:

    "The reason I say to inform the officer is because you’re giving him the knowledge and the choice as to how to proceed. It’s a ton better than if he sees your gun flop out of the glove box when you reach in to get your registration. More importantly, it’s communicating to him that you value both of your safety. As complete strangers, neither one of you necessarily know if you can trust the other. What you have, as a common ground, is common courtesy."

    I say if the officer IS going to see the gun anyway, such as if the gun is in the glove box for whatever reason and you have to get your registration from there, then yes, inform him about it. But if the gun is concealed in a holster on your belt, I say keep your mouth shut about it. If the officer isn't likely to see it anyway, telling them about it is only going to invite them to disarm you, which is a danger to everyone involved. If the officer is concerned about you being armed, then it should be on them to ask about it.

    And here's another interesting point about "must inform" laws: they can only apply to people who are legally carrying a gun. The "must inform" law cannot apply to a person illegally carrying a gun because it would violate that person's right to remain silent in order to not be confessing to a crime and self-incriminating.
    Do you have a list of the 10 states? Knowing that would be good to know.

    I just wonder if it includes Wash State, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, or Arizona?

    Those are states that I might travel to for business or on vacation.

    I already know that Calif, Oregon, and N.M. do not honor my out of state CFP with reciprocity so no reason to ever go there.

  5. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    You know, Luke makes bank every time someone clicks his click bait and here's Ol' Navy advertising for him.
    Good for Luke !!

    He likes to make money, and we like to talk.

    Win-win.

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    If you have a duty to inform under statutory law, I would just hand the cop the CFP with the drivers license, registration, and insurance card.

    Then be prepared to step out of the car and have your gun (pistol or revolver) disarmed from you.

    The cop will write up the citation, and probably unload your gun before he finally hands it back to you.

    Of if you are DUI you probably will never see the gun again.

    Best thing is not to get pulled over. Best way is not to break the law.
    Not always true. I got pulled in MI last summer, as Bikenut states, must inform. I told him, he said thanks, asked where I was carrying. Informed him and he said if I promise not to touch mine, he wouldn't touch his.
    Gave me a warning and as handed back my license asked what type holster I used. Told him and he said good choice, hated seeing people with a weapon just tucked in a pocket or waist of their pants.

    That was it, polite and professional on both sides, short and painless.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    If you have a duty to inform under statutory law, I would just hand the cop the CFP with the drivers license, registration, and insurance card.
    In Ohio that could get you arrested, charged, prosecuted and your CHL pulled.

    Ohio requires VERBAL notification, in a "timely" (undefined) manner.

    Don't make sweeping generalizations about other states' laws based on yours.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    1,523
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Best thing is always to obey the law -- stupid law or not.
    Does that apply to cops too?

    In Ohio, one is required to notify a cop that one has a CHL (or recognized equivalent) IF and ONLY if, BOTH of the following conditions exist:
    1. one is stopped for a law enforcement purpose.
    2. one is ARMED. NO notification is required if NOT armed.

    Needless to say, cops here sometimes "push the envelope" and demand to be notified when you AREN'T armed. I had one try that with me. I refused. I always will.

  9. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by HKS View Post
    Do you have a list of the 10 states? Knowing that would be good to know.

    I just wonder if it includes Wash State, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, or Arizona?

    Those are states that I might travel to for business or on vacation.

    I already know that Calif, Oregon, and N.M. do not honor my out of state CFP with reciprocity so no reason to ever go there.
    "Forty-eight states issue concealed carry permits to private citizens; only Illinois and Wisconsin deprive their citizens of the right to carry. Of the 48 governments that allow citizens to carry concealed after specified conditions are met, only 10 (Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas) require armed CCW permit holders to advise law enforcement officers–officers who are acting in an official capacity–that they are CCW permit holders and that they are armed."

    I don't know if this is still acccurate.

    Read more: Cops and Concealed Carry

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    4,255
    Oldgrunt, your source is bit old (2010). As it turns out, there is a more recent USA Carry article on this subject: A Rundown of “Duty To Inform” Laws in All 50 States. It is still about 10, depending on how you count it.

  11. #20
    It's cute that some of you believe that cops won't stop you if you're "obeying" all traffic laws. Tragic, but cute.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast