Do not fly out of NY AIRPORTS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do not fly out of NY AIRPORTS

Do not fly out of NY AIRPORTS

While flying out of LaGuardia airport I had a rude awakening. Even though I hold a Fl. license and was able to prove that I was coming From Pa going to Fl., these states are reciprical licensing states.
    I tried to check my weapon thru the nice agent held me up till the Port Authority Police showed up and tried to arrest on NYC's Sullivan law. The weapon was unloaded and in a locked container, as per federal rules.
    I had to quote title 16 of the federal statute, and I paraphrase (A person coming from a state where he is licensed to carry a weapon, going to another state the he is licensed in my carry it thru unlicensed states if properly pack in a lock container)
    I had to threaten the officer with a civil rights case against him till he backed off and check the weapon thru.

I am a retired cop so I had no problem go nose to nose about the law. I wouldn't advise everyone to do that.

Neither the officer involved nor the rookie partner wanted that kind of action against them.
    If I had not known the law I would have spent a small fortune clearing this up.

I advise everybody to gat a copy of title 16 and tape it into your gun cases, it's cheaper than a lawyer.

My brother found an article on the web that the Queens County and Albany County DA's have order everyone carrying a weapon, even in a locked container and unloaded be arrested.
    Well it is my opinion that all they did was route me through New Jersey where I have no problems in either direction. Newark Airport is much friendlier when flying.

Wow, close call. Sounds like you handled it well. Glad to hear it didn't turn too ugly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Would someone post a link to the pages I should print? I occasionally transit through New York, I really don't want to become an activist DA prosecution statistic for a non-crime if at all possible.
    Last edited by wayneco; 02-14-2009 at 03:52 AM.

Lightbulb A copy of this couldn't hurt.

There has already been a statement by the Attorney General of the State of New York indicating that this type of passage is legal. Since you are printing things anyway, print this:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Acouple more.....

Per Handgunlaw.us

The best way to travel through NY or any state that has restriction is to carry a copy of Title 19-Part 1-Chapter 44 926A of the federal code with you. Some law enforcement may not know the law. DO keep the firearm in a locked box. Keep ammo in another locked box. No ammo in Magazines or speed loaders in the trunk or if no trunk as far back in the vehicle as possible in a locked box. This covers all bases. All of this may not be necessary but it may save you some grief.

The official house website page for that code:

U.S. Code

Still printing? Let's go ahead and throw a copy of the TSA's page on the shipping procedure!

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

Escape from New York, indeed!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

This is common practice in NJ and NY. There is a lawsuit pending because of an unlawful arrest of a Utah real estate broker a few years ago in NJ. NJ (Newark) is a bit more traveler friendly because of this lawsuit.
    Last edited by netentity; 02-14-2009 at 12:14 PM.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    There has already been a statement by the Attorney General of the State of New York indicating that this type of passage is legal. Since you are printing things anyway, print this:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/doj_doc_nyc_air.pdf

Actually, it's a letter from the Office of the Assistant Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice.

I put this together in another forum which may prove helpful. Traveling with your LCP by AIR - The Software
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!
    EDC Primary: M&P45fs, Crimson Trace LaserGrips, Insight XTI Procyon light in SmartCarry holster
    >>> http://MP-Pistol.com/
    EDC BUF: LCP, Crimson Trace LaserGuard in DeSantis Super Fly holster
    >>> http://LCPforum.com/

Flying With Your Favorite Traveling Companion

Having traveled a number of times, here's how I go at it:
    • Put the unloaded weapon(s) in a lockable hard-sided case with locks only you have the keys to open. TSA locks are not allowed.
    • Check the airline(s) you are flying on:
      • Determine if the ammo MUST be in boxes OR can fly in loaded magazines.
      • If loaded magazines are permitted, make sure the pouches fully cover the magazines.
      • The round from the pipe(s) must be in a box, not loose.
    • Secure and protect magazines and ammunition boxes from possible damage.
    • Put the lockable hard-sided case with the weapon and the ammo/magazines into a cheap, non-descript bag - with clear labeling outside and inside - for checking in. The labeling should be limited to:
      • Your Name
      • Your Cell Phone - if you have one, or your home phone if you do not
      • Your personal email address - if you have one
      • NO ADDRESSES, JOB TITLES, ORGANIZATIONS SHOULD BE INDICATED
    • Other stuff - like shampoo, mouthwash, toothpaste, etc, could be in this checked bag also.
    • Have the rules for the airline in hand when you check this non-descript bag at the airport.
    • Make sure you have the keys to the lockable hard-sided case with you and you alone (Per Federal Regulations 49CFR 1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals - Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:) at all times. You will have to open the lockable hard-side case
      • to demonstrate to the airline that the weapon(s) are not loaded at check in
      • if the TSA wants to see.
    • Have the serial number(s) and descriptions of your weapons on you, so if they "disappear" you can report the loss/theft immediately to the:
      • airline
      • FAA Regional Office
      • ATF Regional Office
    Other things to consider:
    Orlando, FL

10. I'm very happy that you stood up to these LEOs. It will make it easier for the next guy. Thank you.

Alot of very good info in this thread. I will have do some printing later on :)
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast