LEOs carrying concealed and drinking in a bar in Michigan. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LEOs carrying concealed and drinking in a bar in Michigan.

To the original poster,

You are an EMPLOYEE, let the OWNER make decisions, and any contact with the officers superiors. If you get involved and this thing backfires you could be let go.

As long as they are not getting out of hand I would definetly drop the matter.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

I have several LEO friends (including a Customs/HS guy) in Florida, and all of them are told to carry their guns with them ALL THE TIME, including off-duty. I wouldn't expect any of them to get drunk while carrying, but they ca nlegally carry in bars.
    -= Piece Corps =-

4. I always say "don't mix the A and the F of "ATF"" (Get it...Alcohol + Firearms?) Absent any law, rule or regulation stating differently (with a stricter standard) I don't touch a gun if my blood alcohol is over 0.04 as that is when impairment starts to set in, for me thats about 1-1/2 beers per hour.

LEO or not they need to be careful and IMO drinking to any appreciable level while in possession of a gun is not the safest move in the book

5. Quote Originally Posted by ma6907 View Post
    why dont you just be happy that a LEO has you back in case something really bad happens and concentrate your efforts at keeping the people out that you want out! Tell those guys that you are happy to have them if bad stuff happens and tell them that if they ever need you when you are off, you would help them too. They are your friends, not your enemies!
    They're public servants, sir, not friends-- and drinking while armed, is not the act acceptable for either one. Such an attitude lacks intelligence.

6. Quote Originally Posted by chroode View Post
    To the original poster,

You are an EMPLOYEE, let the OWNER make decisions, and any contact with the officers superiors. If you get involved and this thing backfires you could be let go.

As long as they are not getting out of hand I would definetly drop the matter.
    He's a bouncer, but doesn't like using that term. He has every reason to be concerned with armed drunks, regardless of whether they carry badges. I would make an anonymous complaint to their CO.

The employer also has a legal duty to protect the safety of the invitee's (patrons), as well as the licensees (employees).

Drinking and carrying IS "out of hand."

I am not a LEO. i do work closely with LEO's on a daily basis due to the nature of my job being a paramedic firefighter. i often carry concealled into resteraunts that serve on premisis, which according to our state code is punishable with a misdemeanor trespassing charge. the way i see it is i would rather be able to defend my self and my family should a life threatening event happen than to live with the fact that i left it in the car and and have to live with the loss of a family member.i dress to conceal you wont see it or me printing. when i do this i never drink not one drop not even to taste someone else's drink. simply because alcohol and gunpowder do not mix just as alcohol and driving dont mix. if i had your concerns on my mind i wouldnt inform their superiors simply because if they work for a sheriffs office they can be terminated if the sheriff doesnt like it. I would simply inform them on their return if they wish to pack heat and drink that you will only serve them something in the likes of a 3 drink max for the night, if they plan to drink more than that then go lock it in the car like everyone else is supposed to do. someone who gets sloppy drunk carrying a firearm becomes a liability. some years ago in either norfolk or newport news 5 either ATF or FBI agents were leaving a bar after indulging in some spirits and something happend in the parking lot in which all of them drew thier weapons but only one employed deadly force. if i remember correctly the one who shot the perp was roughly crucified because apparently the other four didnt see reason to employ deadly force. out of that one might draw a conclusion that sound decisions are not made when under the influience.
    We would be better off with BORAT as PRESIDENT!!!!

8. Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper101 View Post
    I am not a LEO.
    And clearly you've never pissed one off, or you'd find yourself being arrested for illegal carrying-- as well a any other harassment and retalliation cops are capable of; which is WHY I told him to file an ANONYMOUS tip.

Cops have a way of getting back at those they don't like, so you shouldn't be telling a bouncer with no connections or resources, to mess with them-- particularly since bouncers often need police help, and the cops can always claim to be "conveniently busy" when called to that location.

The Blue Wall is bad enough, but when it FALLS on you, then your life can get really bad.

fileing an anonomous complaint will certainly piss them off for sure and they will surely be able to narrow it down to who they need to retaliate on. simply approaching them with a drink and carry responsably is no different than them asking you john q publc to do the same while when going out to a bar and getting home without driving drunk. in this economy no one needs to have their job in jeapordy over something stupid. I work for a municapality as well and have seen simple complaints generate extreme measures. one grumpy old man once complained to the mayor about the ambulances being at farm fresh and food lion around meal times. the concern was brought to the attention of the fire chief of course, which resulted in suspension of being able to pick up dinner while on duty. we then had to plan our meals a shift in advance and hope that everyone reported to work with their assiged portion of dinner. try getting 8-10 people to agree what they want for lunch and dinner 2 days in advance, its not easy. in the county in which i live i volunteer and one person complained about the ambulance parking in the fire lane while the medic eat lunch at subay in the local walmart. so we now have to park in the back of the parking lot. adding another 90 seconds to our response to any emergency that the other 40,000 citizens may have. 90 seconds could mean life or death in some situations. I hope its not him or his family we get called too. thats what the fire lane is for. that is where that vehicle will be parked if there was an emergency at that location. the point being never go over someones head to the management level to handle a concern until you have tried asking why or expressing your concern. management only knows how to take care of things at an extreme measure by punishing the many for the acts of a few. the officer who shows up in partial uniform to indulge should know betterim sure tahts against department policy. i know i cant even buy alcohol for off duty consumption at home while in uniform on my way home from work. heck i almost got punitive action taken against me because while i was cutting grass at work i picked up a beer can out the ditch and was seen and complaind on by a passerby who thought i was drinking while on duty. i guess i should have taken the trash can out to the ditch and picked it up with a stick instead. whining and complaining to management hurts everybody. i am sorry if you have something against LEO's they are people too just trying to do their job and sometimes just like the rest of us they dont exercise the best of judgement.

10. Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper101 View Post
    fileing an anonomous complaint will certainly piss them off for sure and they will surely be able to narrow it down to who they need to retaliate on.
    Sure.... starting with everyone in the whole damn bar. You know less about cops than you do about writing legibly in the English language, garbage-man.

Quote Originally Posted by BradAnderson View Post
    Sure.... starting with everyone in the whole damn bar. You know less about cops than you do about writing legibly in the English language, garbage-man.
    first thing is you apparently know little about city government. any complaint made annonomous is not a valid complaint. that could just be viewed as someone in which they wrote a ticket trying to return the favor. all the compalints that have been made on our department in confidence, we have been able to find out where it came from in less than 2 shifts. they can do the same i assure you.

second there is no need for name calling! besides this thread is basically over the poster who was asking for advice has'nt chimed in for some time.
    Last edited by stumpjumper101; 08-28-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast