concerning events outside apartment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: concerning events outside apartment

  1. #1

    concerning events outside apartment

    Question to any LEOs:
    Last night around midnight I noticed some commotion outside my apartment building. When I looked out the bedroom window there were 9 squad cars, all with lights off, a bunch of uniformed officers walking around and some officers that appeared to be detectives. They had at least one guy in handcuffs that they eventually put in a squad car.
    However, they must have rolled up with their lights off and no sirens or I would have heard them. So what kind of bust would this be? I should mention I live right outside Indianapolis, not the greatest looking neighborhood, but the apartment complex is pretty decent. Does this seem like a possible murder suspect arrest? No lights for better surprise...and detectives present. I would think that if something happened at the complex the officers would be knocking on doors to see if anyone heard or saw anything.
    One more thing...If something like this were to happen again...Would the officers be mad if I went up to them and asked what was going on?...This is going on right outside my apartment, and it seems to me that I should have a right to know if there's any activities going on that could possibly endanger myself or my fiance. Would the police understand my point of view? or would they just tell me to go back in my apartment and mind my own business?

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    South Central Ohio
    Posts
    95
    1. Police only arrive with lights and sirens blazing in Hollywood. We do not announce to the bad guys we are coming if we want to catch them - and to avoid attracting unwanted nosey people.
    2. You do not have a "right to know" if it does not involve you. Police would rightly tell you to mind your own business. Why do you have a "right", were you doing business with the bad guys?
    3. You cannot on one hand say it presents a danger to you and your fiance, and in the next, go to the scene of the danger to ask questions. If you think it's a danger - STAY AWAY!
    4. When the Police are handling dangerous bad guys, they have more to worry about than soothing the feathers of nosey looky-loos who get in the way and may get hurt.
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!
    Retired LEO

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    1. Police only arrive with lights and sirens blazing in Hollywood. We do not announce to the bad guys we are coming if we want to catch them - and to avoid attracting unwanted nosey people.
    2. You do not have a "right to know" if it does not involve you. Police would rightly tell you to mind your own business. Why do you have a "right", were you doing business with the bad guys?
    3. You cannot on one hand say it presents a danger to you and your fiance, and in the next, go to the scene of the danger to ask questions. If you think it's a danger - STAY AWAY!
    4. When the Police are handling dangerous bad guys, they have more to worry about than soothing the feathers of nosey looky-loos who get in the way and may get hurt.
    At no point in time did I mention that I wanted to bother them when they were dealing with the BG. I have common sense. I suppose I should have said...because the arrest was made and the police were standing around talking, and were finished securing the scene, Would it be ok if I asked them what was going on. Why would anyone walk up to the police while they were in the process of making an arrest and think they could start poking their nose in and asking questions?
    I posted this same question on another forum and I have to say you are the first LEO that answered in a d*ck-headed manner. The others actually answered my question and informed me that it sounds like a search warrent being served, and the officers would not have a problem with a neighbor asking them what happened when they appear to be packing up and leaving.
    The possibly dangerous situation I was referring to was the possible criminal activity that was occuring a few apartments down, and im sure you would like to know if there is criminal/dangerous activities near your place of residence.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    1. Police only arrive with lights and sirens blazing in Hollywood. We do not announce to the bad guys we are coming if we want to catch them - and to avoid attracting unwanted nosey people.
    2. You do not have a "right to know" if it does not involve you. Police would rightly tell you to mind your own business. Why do you have a "right", were you doing business with the bad guys?
    3. You cannot on one hand say it presents a danger to you and your fiance, and in the next, go to the scene of the danger to ask questions. If you think it's a danger - STAY AWAY!
    4. When the Police are handling dangerous bad guys, they have more to worry about than soothing the feathers of nosey looky-loos who get in the way and may get hurt.
    Nosey looky-loos? How about concerned and possibly scared citizens? With an attitude like you seem to have, it's no wonder that a lot of citizens have a less than stellar opinion of law enforcement. We don't have a right to know? If my safety is involved, then I definitely think that I have a right to know.

    I am glad that you are retired.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA, USA
    Posts
    733

    Thumbs up Stand firm, CompShooter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    1. Police only arrive with lights and sirens blazing in Hollywood. We do not announce to the bad guys we are coming if we want to catch them - and to avoid attracting unwanted nosey people.
    2. You do not have a "right to know" if it does not involve you. Police would rightly tell you to mind your own business. Why do you have a "right", were you doing business with the bad guys?
    3. You cannot on one hand say it presents a danger to you and your fiance, and in the next, go to the scene of the danger to ask questions. If you think it's a danger - STAY AWAY!
    4. When the Police are handling dangerous bad guys, they have more to worry about than soothing the feathers of nosey looky-loos who get in the way and may get hurt.
    Actually, CompShooter, you have EVERY right to know. Just wait a few days, and then go down to the station and request a report (some places call it an arrest report, some call it a police report, some call it an incident report, etc.)

    It is SaltCreek's kind of attitude that made me quit the field after my three year tenure. While I would agree that you should not interfere (as you reasonably explained previously), you have every right to know what is going on in your own home/property/community/country.

    The problem with SaltCreek, and many of the LEO like him, is that they don't want the public "nosing" into their business. After all, it makes it more difficult to smack up a "smart mouth" when you've got John Q. Public standing around with a small camcorder. They forget that their business is actually our business.

    For some reason that eludes me, many of our present batch of Law Enforcement personnel fancy themselves above the so-called "civilians" that they are supposed to serve. It is this increased disdain for the public, along with the continued para-militarization of our police forces, that is engendering such a rift between the police and the communities that they are supposed to serve. When it becomes "us against them", everybody loses. This is now being reflected from the tiny 10 man departments spread throughout our country, to the big metro's like NYPD, all the way to the White House.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    Actually, CompShooter, you have EVERY right to know. Just wait a few days, and then go down to the station and request a report (some places call it an arrest report, some call it a police report, some call it an incident report, etc.)

    It is SaltCreek's kind of attitude that made me quit the field after my three year tenure. While I would agree that you should not interfere (as you reasonably explained previously), you have every right to know what is going on in your own home/property/community/country.

    The problem with SaltCreek, and many of the LEO like him, is that they don't want the public "nosing" into their business. After all, it makes it more difficult to smack up a "smart mouth" when you've got John Q. Public standing around with a small camcorder. They forget that their business is actually our business.

    For some reason that eludes me, many of our present batch of Law Enforcement personnel fancy themselves above the so-called "civilians" that they are supposed to serve. It is this increased disdain for the public, along with the continued para-militarization of our police forces, that is engendering such a rift between the police and the communities that they are supposed to serve. When it becomes "us against them", everybody loses. This is now being reflected from the tiny 10 man departments spread throughout our country, to the big metro's like NYPD, all the way to the White House.
    Attaboy! Spot on.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Comp_sH00tEr24 View Post
    Question to any LEOs:
    Last night around midnight I noticed some commotion outside my apartment building.
    Comp Shooter,

    You have a right to be concerned, and a right to information in most states with the "Inspections of public records". If you are concerned about your neighborhood you may want to contact your nearest substation and ask for a "summary of calls" report. They will be sorted by date and likely use brevity codes (10-codes) to detail the incident. These codes can be found online by searching "your city police ten codes". When calling the sub station ask for a crime-free multi-housing officer or someone that can provide such a list this is based on address and will not usually provide a summary of the area. Also, if your city participates in http://www.CrimeReports.com you can find crimes reported in your area, this is a great tool

    I would advise you NOT to approach Law Enforcement while they are working unless you are a victim or witness to a crime, or have information that could help them.

    If you feel concerned (as I would with 5+ officers near my home) the best thing to do is ensure your home is secure. If your fiancee is not home, walk her in from her car to your home.

    If you wish to be proactive in identifying crime and working to prevent it join or start a neighborhood watch program.

    Hope this helps.

    Source: Owner of Clear Sight Tactical, LLC- owner of seperate private security company.
    Last edited by ClearSightTactical; 10-02-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: added link to crimereports

  9. #8
    I was wondering why anyone would even bother to ask an officer questions during or after something has happened. When you can find out what has happened in other ways. cops are people, and people are for the most part d**ks, and no one likes people asking them questions. especialy when thier having important discussions over doughnuts

  10. #9
    'What kind of bust would this be?"

    Could have been any number of scenarios in which numbers and 'stealth' were used to ensure officer safety and BG capture.

    Could have been anything from serving a felony arrest warrant to a drug bust with vice cops (plain clothes), that would warrant that kind of turn out rolling in dark. Nine cars seems a bit steep, but not all agencies are the same. Maybe they were expecting to make several arrests? Tons of things COULD play into this - or it could have been a quiet night elsewhere and this was the only game in town at that hour.

    Don't let the attitudes of the "saltcreeks" in this world get to you. (He's another stellar example of why I always recommend NOT taking ANY legal counsel from a cop - because they consistantly MISinform the general public. Nevermind the condescending attitude and superiority complex.) Exercise your rights to know what's going on in and around your community, make some calls, visit the station for public record review etc.

    For the rest of us, I'd encourage us to guard against thinking ALL LEO's have chips on their shoulders like saltcreek here. Not all gun owners are [email protected]$$es when ONE gun owner does something stupid - so not all LEO's are this quick to attack a law abiding citizen just for asking a question. I'm no shrink, but that smacks of character and integrity issues - either that, or saltcreek isn't really a cop, but perhaps watches too much TV.

    Either way - no worries. I'm glad they caught the guy with no fireworks!
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

  11. #10

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by AZSATT View Post
    'What kind of bust would this be?"

    Could have been any number of scenarios in which numbers and 'stealth' were used to ensure officer safety and BG capture.

    Could have been anything from serving a felony arrest warrant to a drug bust with vice cops (plain clothes), that would warrant that kind of turn out rolling in dark. Nine cars seems a bit steep, but not all agencies are the same. Maybe they were expecting to make several arrests? Tons of things COULD play into this - or it could have been a quiet night elsewhere and this was the only game in town at that hour.

    Don't let the attitudes of the "saltcreeks" in this world get to you. (He's another stellar example of why I always recommend NOT taking ANY legal counsel from a cop - because they consistantly MISinform the general public. Nevermind the condescending attitude and superiority complex.) Exercise your rights to know what's going on in and around your community, make some calls, visit the station for public record review etc.

    For the rest of us, I'd encourage us to guard against thinking ALL LEO's have chips on their shoulders like saltcreek here. Not all gun owners are [email protected]$$es when ONE gun owner does something stupid - so not all LEO's are this quick to attack a law abiding citizen just for asking a question. I'm no shrink, but that smacks of character and integrity issues - either that, or saltcreek isn't really a cop, but perhaps watches too much TV.

    Either way - no worries. I'm glad they caught the guy with no fireworks!
    Let every soul be subject unto the [U.S. Constitution.] For there is no [Constitution] but of God: the [Constitution] that be [is] ordained of God. Whosoever therefore resisteth the [Constitution], resisteth the ordinance of God:American Romans Ch.13v1-7 C.Baldwin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast