Tazers and Stun Guns - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tazers and Stun Guns

TASER Is now offering a x2 and x3 units The X 2 has two firing cartridgesthe x3 has 3 firing cartridges as for distance you can select up to 35 feet which makes it a much better force option than an expandable baton with far less likelihood of serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Dragon,
    I think many people confuse Tasers for the more common "stun guns". The Taser C2 that I carry, and the X26, have several features that the cheaper generic "stun guns" may lack.
    First is what i see as the deterence features which are the intergrated LED lights and aiming laser. Most criminals are looking for a unarmed or easy target. Lighting and lazing a agressor will often result in them hesitating or breaking off an attack.
    Second, while they are short range devices, they do have more range than a baton or cane. You mentioned stand off distance. The Taser C2 has a range of 15 feet. That's close but not as close as they would get with the options you mentioned. Even if the probes fail to hit their mark and the agressor closes the distance you still have the drive stun option at contact ranges.
    As you corectly pointed out, they are one shot devices. Multiple threats are possible but single aggressors are probably much more likely. Of course, if multiple agressors confront me I'm not relying soly on my one shot Taser. I have other options (Pistol, OC spray, knife, etc...) Some people choose to keep a second firing cartridge on hand and plan on doing a fast reload if possible. Others choose to carry secondary devices such as OC spray or deploy a firearm should the Taser fail to stop the threat. I personally see my Taser as a accessory to my daily carry firearm which gives me options to using deadly force. It's not a replacement for the pistol but a tool I can use in addition to the pistol as the needs dictate.

3. But if they're not used, won't the batteries just run down?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jake_88 View Post
    I would get the Taser x26. I had to get shot with one in the academy, it was the most painful 5 seconds of my life :)
    Even still, I'd rather be hit with a Taser than ever get pepper sprayed again. Worst 1/2 hour of my life. That LE grade pepper spray is nasty stuff. The next day, my left eye still looked like I had pink eye.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by KCD1974 View Post
    After a LOT of looking, I got this one. I'm too scared to try it on myself and too nice to try it on anyone else (that doesn't deserve it)....

BARRACUDA BC37 Stun Gun Highest Amperage Available
    My apartment manager asked me for a stun gun recommendation, but does not want taser that must be reloaded. She's only got one hand, and walking her dog isn't a safe activity at night in this city anymore… I knew (because … nerd!) that current was more important than voltage, but I couldn't find any stun guns that listed a current rating and I knew the cheap ones are useless. Then I saw your post and the specs on this thing. I sure as hell don't wanna be on the business end of it! I'm pretty confident she'll put it to good use, should some trog decide that a disabled woman would make an easy target.

Thanks for posting it. :)

6. I have had one of those handheald tazers in my car for about a year now. At first I had tried to but cheap dollar store non-alkaline 9v batteries in it. That made it very weak and slow. When you put in a duracell 9v battery in though that thing is terrifying. Good thing about tazers is that you can conceal them and they are relativley cheaper than guns. Although I do love my all wood stock Russian SKS.
    Thanks!

You're not talking about tasers then. Tasers are a very specific kind of personal defense weapon made by one specific company, and they cost about $400+ and work once per $30-40 cartridge. For that and three extra cartridges, I could buy a couple of Kel-Tec pistols and some ammo. Amd I don't have to register myself with the manufacturer as owning one in case the police ever want to round them all up at once… These things work by literally shutting down your target's muscles at a distance. They do have a stun gun as a backup device (at least the C2 does) but again…

A stun gun is different. You've actually got prongs on the end of the thing that you need to press against the bad guy and actuate the thing. They range from $10 (almost useless toys) to … significantly more. When you start to top $40, what you buy usually will be pretty nasty and pretty effective, if you can reach out and touch them with it. But those aren't tasers, and they operate rather differently.

8. They actually Taser you in the class?

9. In the class I was in yes, need to know what you will be dealing with (same with the OC spray class)

^^ What Nicholas A. stated. Yes, we were OC sprayed. It was a requirement to be able to carry OC spray. We were not required, however to be Tasered, but we did have to be able to show full ability to deploy it on a special target with electrostatic material.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I bought a stun gun for my mother recently. It has a wrist strap attached to a pin, so that if the stun gun is forcefully taken from her, the pin gets pulled out of the device, and renders it inoperable. It's a fairly nice unit. It recharges with a slide-out wall-adapter and runs on a Li Ion battery.
    I also got her a keyring sized canister of 2% OC (saber red)
    No statement should be believed because it is made by an authority.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast