Wasp spray
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasp spray

Wasp spray

I've read often about the carry of less than lethal means of personal protection and usually the discussion turns to sprays. We've all hear of the wide selections of pepper spray and all the derivatives.

But here is one I personally never heard of until I read an article written by a woman about self-defense. I'll have to see if I can find the article and post it, but anyway, my wife and I were talking about a friend that is totally against firearms but has two small girls and spends time home alone with them because her husband has to travel for his job.

My wife brought up the article and the use of common 'around the house' remedies for home/personal defense. One common household ingredient that is often over looked, readily available and absolutely no law prevents the transport of it.

Wasp spray. The kind that shoots a pressurized stream about 25 feet. Readily available at any home improvement or home and garden store.

The big can is kind of cumbersome but what do we think about the use / carry of a can in the car or keeping one handy around the house?
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

3. Read the label. Using it contrary to directions is a crime and you will be prosecuted if you use it like pepper spray. Mostly because it can permanently blind someone. Now if you just happened to have some...

I posted about item got same response true they will be blinded BUT your wife,child,girlfriend is not dead,raped nor is bad guy dead but knows he/she screwed with wrong person
    A Body Piercing
    Saved My Life
    <(((><

I get the wasp spray email/spam often and here's my standard response:

If one is trying to use a non-lethal form of defense, pesticides are worse than OC spray as they are poisonous and can be lethal and less effective. There has been no testing on humans so they're effectiveness is unreliable. We know how effective OC is with the worst assailants; it's a better option. OC canisters can spray just as far or further and you can get a stream, cone, or fog pattern.

With a pesticide can, you have to KNOW you have the nozzle pointed in the right direction. How easy is that with any spray can without looking first? Might you spray yourself in the face in an emergency? OC canisters are made so you can't accidentally spray yourself.

If the over-spray gets in your face, would you rather have poison or something you know won't permanently damage you?

You can't just spray someone who is 20' away from you because at that distance, you most likely won't be in immediate fear for your life (the law defines what constitutes this). If your attacker starts at 20' away, then suddenly rushes you, he'll reach you in under two seconds. Will you be able to accurately wield that spray can and hit the bad guy in the eyes? The same question applies to any weapon, but some are better than others for quick defense. This only highlights the need to be prepared for hand-to-hand defense and probably a more effective (quickest stopping effect) tool beyond hands for when you're attacker is right on you.

Your workplace, or federal or state laws, may not allow you to have a pesticide out in the open.

If one is not wanting to buy OC because of it's price, it isn't that expensive (how much is your life worth?) - $9 for a 25-shot keychain canister. Also, trying to carry a pesticide concealed is difficult and unsafe (OC canisters have a safety).

You can be prosecuted for purposely using a pesticide as a weapon.

Just because a cop says something, doesn't mean it's true. Many cops don't know all laws and/or are not up-to-date. Lawyers and judges know the law, prosecutors decide whether to charge you and for what, and juries can get a piece of you after that.

Everyone should know federal, state, and local laws regarding the use of any weapon, what is legal, when they can use it, and what constitutes a legal defense situation. This is really the most important thing to know before you choose a weapon for self-defense.

OC is available from many sources, but you have to know where it's legal to use it and what volume you can have in certain places. You can get large sizes for your home. If you want to use it for travel, you have to check the laws for the state/localities you'll be in.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2shoot View Post
    I get the wasp spray email/spam often and here's my standard response:

If one is trying to use a non-lethal form of defense, pesticides are worse than OC spray as they are poisonous and can be lethal and less effective. There has been no testing on humans so they're effectiveness is unreliable. We know how effective OC is with the worst assailants; it's a better option. OC canisters can spray just as far or further and you can get a stream, cone, or fog pattern.

With a pesticide can, you have to KNOW you have the nozzle pointed in the right direction. How easy is that with any spray can without looking first? Might you spray yourself in the face in an emergency? OC canisters are made so you can't accidentally spray yourself.

If the over-spray gets in your face, would you rather have poison or something you know won't permanently damage you?

You can't just spray someone who is 20' away from you because at that distance, you most likely won't be in immediate fear for your life (the law defines what constitutes this). If your attacker starts at 20' away, then suddenly rushes you, he'll reach you in under two seconds. Will you be able to accurately wield that spray can and hit the bad guy in the eyes? The same question applies to any weapon, but some are better than others for quick defense. This only highlights the need to be prepared for hand-to-hand defense and probably a more effective (quickest stopping effect) tool beyond hands for when you're attacker is right on you.

Your workplace, or federal or state laws, may not allow you to have a pesticide out in the open.

If one is not wanting to buy OC because of it's price, it isn't that expensive (how much is your life worth?) - $9 for a 25-shot keychain canister. Also, trying to carry a pesticide concealed is difficult and unsafe (OC canisters have a safety).

You can be prosecuted for purposely using a pesticide as a weapon.

Just because a cop says something, doesn't mean it's true. Many cops don't know all laws and/or are not up-to-date. Lawyers and judges know the law, prosecutors decide whether to charge you and for what, and juries can get a piece of you after that.

Everyone should know federal, state, and local laws regarding the use of any weapon, what is legal, when they can use it, and what constitutes a legal defense situation. This is really the most important thing to know before you choose a weapon for self-defense.

OC is available from many sources, but you have to know where it's legal to use it and what volume you can have in certain places. You can get large sizes for your home. If you want to use it for travel, you have to check the laws for the state/localities you'll be in.
    Man, what a party pooper

KK

The whole concept of the article (still haven't found it and I gave up searching) was methods that the average housewife/woman could use to defend themselves in lieu of deadly force. I thought the wasp spray was a good idea.

And who the heck reads or adheres to the government warnings on the can?

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    The whole concept of the article (still haven't found it and I gave up searching) was methods that the average housewife/woman could use to defend themselves in lieu of deadly force. I thought the wasp spray was a good idea.

And who the heck reads or adheres to the government warnings on the can?
    What part of it IS deadly force do you not get?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    What part of it IS deadly force do you not get?
    Actually it is not lethal to humans in the dose an attacker would get hit with if the wasp spray was used in a defensive fashion the same way one would use OC, Spray and run. Now if one were to hold down the perpetrator after he/she was incapacitated and the entire contents of a 20 ounce can was sprayed directly into the lungs, that would be a different matter all together.

This has part of the article I was referring to in the OP. snopes.com: Wasp Spray

Follow the links to additional information. Someone already said the there are regulations mandating the use of the product so I understand that aspect. But judging by some of the responses here, it tells me wasp spray would work real well as a defensive devise in a pinch.

A diver friend of mine has one of those. It is just NASTY! He tried it on a fare size copia he landed and it exploded the fish. Might come in handy in a shark attack. Hate to see what it would do to a BG!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast