What to consider in a good tactical self-defense knife - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to consider in a good tactical self-defense knife

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Too many "Mall-Ninja-swat-team-cop-SF-Chuck-Norris-Steven-Seagal-wannabees" here.

If you are going to close in on a BG for a knife fight, why not avoid the criminal charges by running instead!

-Doc

What if someone bull rushes you and throws you to the ground and a knife is the only option?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    What if someone bull rushes you and throws you to the ground and a knife is the only option?
    Then why pull a knife instead of a gun?

Soldiers need tactical knives to kill silently. They used to use blades on their rifles when the ammo ran out. Their knives are also tools to cut obstacles.

Since you don't have any duty for engaging in blade combat, and all the world of criminal liability to acquire, why knife fight at all?

A cop, finding you packing a "Mall-Ninja" K-Bar will have more questions for you then if you simply had your CCW gun! He will probably question your mental status at a minimum!

Knives are one of, if not the, oldest tool mankind has. Carry a plain folding, tool like, pocket knife rather than a Cold-Steel-K-Bar-SOF-Mall-Ninja-Throat-Cutter, and you will be far better off!

-Doc

Quote Originally Posted by blazemyowntrails:243899
    Tons of different options available. I like Kershaws collaborations with Ken Onion. Whirlwind, Blur, Leek etc. If youve got the money to spend, Emerson seems like a good dude to support. Check out Bram Frank's gunting family. This is a very versatile knife meant to be used CLOSED. Zero tolerance knives have been catching my eye lately, and again- you can't go wrong with spyderco.
    Great suggestions, thanks! I've also been looking at the Cold Steel Voyager series and the Spartan.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence Ranch View Post
    If you don't like the discussion, there are plenty of other threads...might I suggest you go find one?
    He does the same with other topics, hense posts like this one from him,

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc
    There is no such thing as medical marijuana, because I said there isn't. All those so called cancer, glaucoma, and fybromyalgia patients are just faking it so they can have an excuse to smoke up. I'm obviously an expert, so I know about this subject.

I thought from the other recent threads you have to take a few punches and get stabbed a few times before you should draw your hand gun? *SARCASM for those that would get confused*

A good sharp knife is always a good tool to have. A handgun is not the end all self defense tool. We don't carry because we are paranoid, we carry because we want to be prepared. I don't see anything wrong with being more prepared.

What do you guys think of the KBar TDI knives? I have been looking at those in the different options for a few weeks now. I have looked into the different blade shapes and edges. I thought I read somewhere the tanto edge was good for stabbing and slashing. While a drop point or spear with a full belly is good for everyday use and cutting? Can anyone give any further information on blade shapes?

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I have been looking at those in the different options for a few weeks now. I have looked into the different blade shapes and edges. I thought I read somewhere the tanto edge was good for stabbing and slashing. While a drop point or spear with a full belly is good for everyday use and cutting? Can anyone give any further information on blade shapes?
    Cold Steel used to have a good article on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse Doc View Post
    Why bring a knife to a gunfight?

-Doc
    LOL I know a couple guys that would, and when you shot the knife out of there hand they would start bitching at you

Pardon me for noticing G50, but you altered what I said.

"---Quote (Originally by Bighouse Doc)---
    There is no such thing as medical marijuana, BECAUSE I SAID THERE ISN'T. ALL THOSE SO CALLED CANCER, GLAUCOMA, AND FYBROMYALGIA PATIENTS ARE JUST FAKING IT SO THEY CAN HAVE AN EXCUSE TO SMOKE UP. I'M OBVIOUSLY AN EXPERT, SO I KNOW ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.
    ---End Quote---"

Everything in caps(after "marijuana") is a fabrication/hack on your part!

-Doc

As I continued my research, I came upon a really wonderful website with a ton of excellent information. Id recommend it to anyone, regardless of the type of self defense you prefer.

Www.nononsenseselfdefense.com

Brew yourself a pot of coffee first. There's a lot of info here. It's made me rethink the whole idea of carrying a knife made specifically for fighting. Not going to forego the training, now, that would be silly. Never know what kind of situation you might land in.

Legality should be the first consideration, then quality then how and where (on your person) you will carry it. Brand (except as it relates to quality) should be your last consideration.

Also if you are going to train for knife fighting, learn this fact first engrave it into your brain and don't ever forget it

if you fight w/ a knife you are going to get cut
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast