Walking cane - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walking cane

1. I cant see how any one could complain enough to matter. I am thinking of getting a walking stick for a trip to New Orleans but I will have to be more discrete

Get a cross metal body pen and pencil set. Like the ones we used to get when we graduated school. Cross Classic Century Ballpoint PenPencil Set Black Ink Lustrous Chrome Barrels by Office Depot They throw like a knife if you need to, and make an EXCELLENT defensive tool without the "tactical" vibe that might tip someone off.

Carry a coin purse, folks overseas use a lot more coins than we do, and works like a roll of quarters when you need to punch

Carry a local paper when traveling overseas, it helps make you less visible as a tourist, and worst case it gives you something to throw to distract in any incident.

All of the above and travel in a group.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

5. Picked-up a black, thick wall aluminum cane with a "T" handle at a local pharmacy. 35 to 40 bucks, if memory serves.

I don't know how it would work as a defensive weapon. Crash test dummies, even on the used market are out of my reach.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

6. i am too using the same gun for a while and coming with the equal experience fellow members are getting by its efficient operation

7. I would recommend the hardwood cane over tubular aluminum. I suspect the tubular ones will kink on you if used hard. Rattan is very tough and lighter weight, if that is an issue for you.
    "...on any given day there are bad people in the world who are able and willing to hurt you." --Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Quote Originally Posted by KSDeputy View Post
    I use a black locust cane, bought at a farm store. Canes are used for herding animals, and they must be made of a real hard wood for that purpose. Black locust is right up there with hickory and oak in the hardness scale. So with all the years I had of baton training, it is a great defensive weapon. The best part is, no one would ever guess.
    I bought a shepherd's staff at my local TSC. It is the hardest & most durable cane I've ever seen. (Far better than the ones I've used for mobility aid.)

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

9. Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    I would recommend the hardwood cane over tubular aluminum. I suspect the tubular ones will kink on you if used hard. Rattan is very tough and lighter weight, if that is an issue for you.
    I have my doubts that it would not break or bend if I had to use it defensively. Not sure if the pharmacy would take it back if broken on either end from fighting invisible ninjas...

...those unbreakable wooden canes seemed a tad expensive, but how much is your life worth? When my aluminum cane gets a bit tatty, I'll spring for rattan or hardwood next time.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

2Awarrior Guest
    Got me one of these recently.

Dragon Walking Stick - Cold Steel Knives

Seems pretty tough, not too heavy. I use it when I go to dumb-a$$ commie New York City. Can't carry there, can't even carry a pocket knife.
    So I limp a little and carry this cane - into an NYPD station if I want. Brought to to a broadway show, even took it to a traffic ticket hearing!
    Kinda dumb I guess, but it's my way of saying "Stop and frisk THIS".

Check out Michael Janich. He has a DVD of his approach to using a cane for protection - simple, easy to remember, effective. He even talks about how to use it when space is limited, such as on an airplane. I think it's called "Martial Cane Concepts" and is available at Stay Safe Media Home page

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast