3 sided, hollow metal cane/stick is much stronger, more effective than round tubing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 sided, hollow metal cane/stick is much stronger, more effective than round tubing.

3 sided, hollow metal cane/stick is much stronger, more effective than round tubing.

I made mine 4 ft long, with a cane crook about 1 ft down from the top, and it's a SWORD that I can carry almost anyplace. :-) It's got a heavy, QD "head", for throwing, and it breaks in half, with a 1/3rd twist, for ease of carry or "2 stick" fighting style, via a ferrule with male and female "interrupted-threads". A lock nut and threaded, semi pointed rod at the tip lets me adjust the height of the cane's crook, if I DO need to use it for support. The triangular cross section was made by Tig welding the corners of 3 tapering "flats, made out of .095" thick sheet steel.

Given that one's hand "telescopes" the stick by about 6", that gives me about 6 ft of reach. If i take a long, lunging step, that adds 3.5 ft, but you have to allow 6" of the stick for penetration/slashing, so that you have some effect on the bad guy. Of course, it's quite feasible to add 3 ft of JUMP. So an agile man can reach someone who is 10 ft away, starting cane tip on the ground, standing erect, in less than 1 second, which is as fast as anyone can ccw draw and hit them with a bullet. I need not worry about carry laws, nor innocents who are behind the bad guy, and I have non-lethal options. :-)

Also, bad guys can SEE the stick, and unless they have a gun, they KNOW to go bother somebody else. So it works out well, all in all. When I dont want it "out", I just break it down and stuff the 2 halves thru my belt, in the small of my back. No big deal. It's also got a heavy duty cord in it, so that I can sling it over my shoulder, as one does a rifle. I just heated it and applied black muffler "krinkle" paint on miine, but I wish that i'd buffed it out and hot blued it. Given my initials engraved into the metal, filled with the gold "crayon" that Brownell's sells, that would be a sharp looking addition.

Did anybody else just visualize a ninja?

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

No, a headache.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

5. No, just a Toys 'R' Us kid who is always asked to leave.
    I'm a firm believer in two term limits for all politicians; one in office, the other in prison.

Looks like I will have to check who posted something before I start to read these long posts.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

care to point out any errors in my post, or are you just going to run your mouth?

8. My grandsons watch that show!! Did the rat teach you how to use it to?

I use a cane daily. I have two, one hickory, and one rock maple, both T-head style. I can go through the security points at any airport or government building without a problem. I can use either of them very effectively as a defensive tool. I am sure your creation would function, but mine goes anywhere I go.

Quote Originally Posted by thru View Post
    I made mine 4 ft long, with a cane crook about 1 ft down from the top, and it's a SWORD that I can carry almost anyplace. :-) It's got a heavy, QD "head", for throwing, and it breaks in half, with a 1/3rd twist, for ease of carry or "2 stick" fighting style, via a ferrule with male and female "interrupted-threads". A lock nut and threaded, semi pointed rod at the tip lets me adjust the height of the cane's crook, if I DO need to use it for support. The triangular cross section was made by Tig welding the corners of 3 tapering "flats, made out of .095" thick sheet steel.

Given that one's hand "telescopes" the stick by about 6", that gives me about 6 ft of reach. If i take a long, lunging step, that adds 3.5 ft, but you have to allow 6" of the stick for penetration/slashing, so that you have some effect on the bad guy. Of course, it's quite feasible to add 3 ft of JUMP. So an agile man can reach someone who is 10 ft away, starting cane tip on the ground, standing erect, in less than 1 second, which is as fast as anyone can ccw draw and hit them with a bullet. I need not worry about carry laws, nor innocents who are behind the bad guy, and I have non-lethal options. :-)

Also, bad guys can SEE the stick, and unless they have a gun, they KNOW to go bother somebody else. So it works out well, all in all. When I dont want it "out", I just break it down and stuff the 2 halves thru my belt, in the small of my back. No big deal. It's also got a heavy duty cord in it, so that I can sling it over my shoulder, as one does a rifle. I just heated it and applied black muffler "krinkle" paint on miine, but I wish that i'd buffed it out and hot blued it. Given my initials engraved into the metal, filled with the gold "crayon" that Brownell's sells, that would be a sharp looking addition.
    If your point is that the bad guys will see your "stick" then why not just carry openly? That way the bad guy with the gun, will know immediately to go bother someone else, then you don't have to act all "teenage mutant ninja turtle".
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

11. A brilliant idea--and stylish!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast