Legalities of using LtL rounds in shotgun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legalities of using LtL rounds in shotgun?

Thanks. I watched the Magpul Dynamics: The Art of the Dynamic Shotgun DVDs where they went over "surfing out" shot rounds for slugs. Good to know the differences between a Remington 870, Mossberg 500 and autoloaders.

3. After consideration, I group LTL ammo with warning shots. If the situation doesn't require lethal action, I don't know if I can justify using a firearm.

4. It may be a 'less than lethal' round but, I would wager that legally, the use of any firearm (with any loading) would be considered deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by KyTopGun View Post
    It may be a 'less than lethal' round but, I would wager that legally, the use of any firearm (with any loading) would be considered deadly force.
    Just like you can group the threat of serious bodily injury into the reasons to use deadly force.
    Chief

6. Using Less Than Lethal (LTL) weapons are for LEO only in my opinion.
    If you do not intend to kill someone, do not point a gun at them.
    If you do not intend to kill someone, do not fire a weapon at them.

If you fire an LTL at someone it is the same as admitting in court that you did not intend to kill, therefore even you knew before hand that lethal force was not needed. Law Enforcement Offcers need to have LTL option available to them as they are confronted with many types of nutty people and even animals etc. You, how ever as a private citizen have no such need. If it is not a life or death situation, then do not point a gun at another person, its as simple and straight forward as that.

Someone making you angry is not a reason to kill the person.
    Someone trespassing on your property may not be reason enough in and of itself to kill someone.

You as a citizen, are within your rights to shoot only if you feel that your life, or someone else's life is in danger. You do not actually have a right kill in self defense unless you are fearful for yourself being injured or killed before you can use lethal force against them. This is the same reasoning that VPOTUS "Uncle" Joe Bidden used when he advised us to fire 2 blasts through our closed doors in our home if in fear of an intruder, or to go out on a balcony and fire to shotgun blasts into the air. He was soundly criticized for that stupid and ill thought out, off the cuff advice, and he should have been. If you do not know where the bullets or shot will go, or if you are not even sure what the threat is, what are you shooting at?

Using a gun to defend yourself is a grave responsibility, it is not a bean bag fight or a rubber bullet situation. We are not police, we cannot "shoot to wound" or "fire warning shots". We are only to use our weapons in lawful ways. This why we should, if at all possible, get more and continuous training, in order to keep up with the laws that we must live by.

It all depends on your state laws. Some states do not prohibit the use of them as their laws in some cases say use of force up to and including deadly force.
    Example from Florida.
    776.031 Use of force in defense of others.—A person is justified in the use of force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. However, the person is justified in the use of deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person does not have a duty to retreat if the person is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12