EDC flashlight recommendation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EDC flashlight recommendation

EDC flashlight recommendation

I am thinking about a Fenix P35, but was looking to see if there are other recommendations.

I have a ProTac HL as well. Very pleased with it. I like the fact you can program the light settings. I have mine set for the low setting first then high power if I need it.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Thanks! The Fenix PD35 looks similar in size and has a few more Lumens and a one step higher water proof rating. I was mainly thinking about size, but the ProTac is the same size. Where do you carry your lights? In a pocket or pouch?

Pocket only.

If I am wearing cargo shorts, it's in the pocket. If I am traveling by air it's in my backpack. In my judgement once you reach 500 lumens of light it's hard to tell the 500 from 600 with that small of a reflector. Once you reach 1000 lumens there is a noticeable difference. I like the looks of the Fenix lights but their Turbo rating to me is false advertising as they often use the turbo output to boost the ratings. In their manual the turbo mode is only for a few minutes then the light drops down to the next power level so the PD35 is effectively 450 lumens, which wouldn't look any different than 500. A few minutes of light at 850 lumens would be useful as one could use that high output to blind an attacker but your not going to get 1.15 hour runtime at 850 lumens. I also like that the Fenix can use rechargeables or the CR123A batteries. I once purchased a Fenix light but returned it when I learned of the "turbo" mode downside. At first I thought the unit was defective but discovered in the manual it was supposed to be that way. The ProTac HL cost me around 65.00 online which is about the same price as the PD35. I don't think you could wrong with either light. Here is an excellent review of the Fenix PD35, Fenix PD35 ,850 Lm,powerful,compact 18650 flashlight-REVIEW
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Thanks for the information.

After experimenting with multiple flashlights, I've settled on the Surefire EB1. Not cheap, but utterly reliable. I had a Fenix but it did not hold up.

I am thinking of the E2D Defensive Ultra as it seems to fit what I want. Blinding light and construction to break out through an automobile window or strike an attacker if I can't get away quickly. This is for places I can't carry the gun.

For places you can't carry a gun a good knife should be the second option.
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast