Tactical Pens and the TSA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Pens and the TSA

Exclamation Tactical Pens and the TSA

Well, I finally got caught with my tactical pen going through a TSA security checkpoint. This was the first time after I got it almost exactly 3 years ago. Apparently, the TSA screener knew a lot about tactical pens. I have taken this pen in the cabin on US flights and on international flights and never had a problem. Since this happened at my home airport and I had no checked luggage, I was able to just drop the pen off in my car. My flashlight was OK, so was my ResQMe and medical gear (including my Tourni-Kwik 4L tourniquets).

USACarry | Should You Carry a Tactical Pen?

PS: Yes, I was flying without a firearm this time due to the destination.

Only a matter of time until TSA caught on to those things. After all, they are advertised as weapons.
    Another tool taken from our bag of tricks.

Of what practical use is a tactical pen as a defensive weapon?

A tactical pen is a deadly weapon use of which would trigger deadly force.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
    Of what practical use is a tactical pen as a defensive weapon?

A tactical pen is a deadly weapon use of which would trigger deadly force.
    In an airplane or in a foreign country, a tactical pen is better than nothing when it comes to defending your life or the life of your loved ones.

6. JL Darling 97 is a tactical pen that looks like a Plain Jane Cross style pen. It's super tough and won't set off any TSA weenies.
    You can't always be safe, but you can always be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisco85132 View Post
    JL Darling 97 is a tactical pen that looks like a Plain Jane Cross style pen. It's super tough and won't set off any TSA weenies.

If it's a weapon, it's probably a federal felony to bring aboard a commercial airliner.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    In an airplane or in a foreign country, a tactical pen is better than nothing when it comes to defending your life or the life of your loved ones.
    You'll always have something if you know how to recognize something as a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
    You'll always have something if you know how to recognize something as a weapon.
    I would rather use a tactical pen instead if a plastic cup for self defense on an airplane against a lethal thread.

I have used my flashlight for self defense on the street in a European country before, but that was a non-lethal situation.

10. I've never had a problem bringing a screwdriver in my bag, granted I don't fly very often. It's not a weapon, but it's probably as good as a tactical pen.

11. Last time I travelled had no problem with tactical lights and cl 4 lasers with pepper spray and baton in the checked luggage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast