Are armed guards needed in every school?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are armed guards needed in every school?

My LTR to the Editor for "possibly" posting in the local rag, the Winston Salem Journal, NC ( [email protected]) Please feel free to send them a LTR/comment of their question in the title of this thread. They do this every Sunday and ask people to email (pithy) comments and will print accordingly. Name and address required. Please flood then with a, dare I say, a plethora or comments. The show of support will and or should be astounding.

I would say no, we do not need to burden an already stressed budget for schools and raise taxes to accommodate having multiple armed guards per school. What I would suggest is to allow certain staff members at all schools to carry concealed weapons. Allow selected staff members to act as a rapid response team to at least initiate interaction on the onset of an armed incursion while awaiting the police to respond. They would be trained and permitted to carry concealed weapons with additional training by local police departments. This would be less of a burden on tax payers, allow the staff to protect the students and not be a visual target as an armed guard would be at a school. I say again that these staff members would only be armed for the purpose of initial intervention. Had the principal at Sandy Hook or other staff members been armed, I do not think this outcome would have been so devastating.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Deputize all principals and admins. They work for the state already.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49417 View Post
    Not sure if every one of the staff are capable or of the mind set to be trained in defensive shooting using tactical response. Hence the vetting process which I did not include BUT will make the difference. I also would add that those that qualify should be paid a premium in additional salary to support there additional responsibility.I still think it would be cheaper than numerous security guards on site. Plus the biggest issue is that it would teach the staff that a firearm is within their right to have and that it's only a tool within their tool box of Life that should be taught to all. Reading, writing, and arithmetic and safe gun handling. Tools that will help you in your pursuit of happiness.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew49417 View Post
    how about custodians? we are out and about all over the school more than most.

Personally I don't think that armed guards would be necessary if you just abolished gun free zones. If a community trusts a person to carry a concealed weapon in most places then why restrict the places? Just the fact that there might be someone, teacher, custodian, parent carrying in a school area would likely be a deterrent to "would be" active shooters.

We have had off duty police in our schools for years without any prolems. The voters approved a 1 cent local option sales tax that pays for this. They are there to assist the principle/teachers maintain control and safety. Seems to be working great. I think we put them there after Columbine.
    I live in my own little world, but it is Okay because everyone here knows me.
    Life Member: NRA, GOA, MOAA, NAHC.
    U.S. Army Retired

Let's allow guns in schools for everyone that can legally carry one. Teachers are already paid to protect our children, whether it is from fire or fire power, they have a duty to act. We need to allow them to bring their guns to work. All other staff should be allowed to carry also. Training might be provided and any training should be counted as CE however obtained. Participation should be voluntary. Tort protection should be provided through legislation.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Let the staff open carry. Deterrence at face value.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

What the signs don't work? Maybe folks should look up the meaning of criminal. Everyone in this country should begin carrying everywhere under the 2nd Amendment.

ezkl2230 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggatshack View Post
    Personally I don't think that armed guards would be necessary if you just abolished gun free zones. If a community trusts a person to carry a concealed weapon in most places then why restrict the places? Just the fact that there might be someone, teacher, custodian, parent carrying in a school area would likely be a deterrent to "would be" active shooters.
    Yeah.

Unfortunately, Dems are going to go the other direction and find ways to STRENGTHEN the GFSZA, rather than abolish it. I fully expect them to try to eliminate the carry exemption that currently exists: if you receive your CPL from a state that requires criminal background checks as part of the CPL issuing process, you can carry on school property in accordance with the laws of that state. So where I live in Michigan, we can OC on the premises of a school if we have a CPL, but we can't CC. I expect them to try to do away with that exemption.

And I expect the fed to receive help in Michigan from our illustrious governor, who recently let his true colors as a closet Bloomie (Bloombergian? Bloomer? Whatever; he is of the anti-firearms cult of Bloomberg) show for all to see.

Are armed guards needed in every school?-rick-snyder.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast