Reloading Newbie
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Newbie

Reloading Newbie

I am considering staring to try some reloading. My dad reloaded for quite a few years and I am going to try to get his old setup to start with. He doesn't use it any more, so I thought I would put it to use. My main reload calibers will be 30-06, 30-30, 38spl, 357mag,and I am considering buying a .204 Ruger for coyotes so I would probably reload for it also. My first question is what is the recommended reloading manual or are they all about the same. I also need to know if there is any problem reloading the nickel cases that the Winchester XP3 30-06 rounds come in. Most of my empty cases are from these rounds, as this is what I have been using for a few years, to kill elk. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
    Semper Fi

I asked a similar question on a forum "If you could only have one reloading manual what one would you choose"

Most replies indicated Lyman Because they do not manufacture bullets or powder and therefore may be less biased

I Use Sierra and RCBS for book references.

Lately, I have bought the One Book/One Calibers series for my calibers.

These contain data from all the manufacturers. The downside is that you need one book for each caliber.

In your situation, I would try the One Book series.

You can get these from Midway or Amazon.

-Doc

The "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" has a lot of info and has great discussions on just about all aspects of reloading. $13.99 at Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual - MidwayUSA I also use an online service called AmmoGuide. Great source for info, forums for questions and discussions and a very, very large database of printable reloading data. $18.95 a year at AmmoGuide is now... "Interactive"!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I use Sierra,Speer,Nosler,Hornady,and all the freebies I can get from the powder companies. Sierra is my bullet of choice,(cause they're the BEST),but all of them have great information in them. Buy a reputable manual from the bulet company you plan on using and you will be fine. Good luck!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

7. I collect reloading manuals I am a big fan of all the ones mentioned but my go to is the Lyman because of the versatility they offer and I shoot a lot of cast bullets.

8. Here is a great place to get reloading info. Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource

9. I would suggest buying the book that came from the same outfit as your press, get the freebies when you can from the powder folks and collect the bullet manufacturers as you go. No such thing as too much documentation.

The nickel cases are just nickel coated and polished. I have used them in the past and I found that the nickel eventually wore off showing that they were brass. I had no complaints, I think you'll enjoy the new hobby.

Exclamation You beat me to the punch

Quote Originally Posted by RafterBob View Post
    Here is a great place to get reloading info. Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource
    You beat me to the punch...This is my goto source for comparing load data
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast