Recomemdations for 12Ga home defense load
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recomemdations for 12Ga home defense load

Recomemdations for 12Ga home defense load

00 Buck or 04 Buck for. Gun is Maverick 88 18.5", pistol grip/retractable stock.

There are a number of articles on this. You need information, not opinions. Here are a couple of good places to start:

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I have OO Buck in the 12ga's at the moment but I keep some #4 buck around too.

The benifit to #4 Buck is that you have more pellets... duh right. So, lets say you had to take a shot down your hallway, which may be more than 12 feet... I'd feel better knowing I have 27 or so pellets filling the hallway rather than 9-12.

And here's another thing to consider... wether you choose OO Buck or #4 buck... the guy you shoot isn't likely to get up after either one.

One example of the usefulness of #4 Buck... small, but an example none the less. The Durham, NC SWAT team uses #4 buck as their shot of choice. I know this b/c my father is the Armorer there.

Regardless, just make sure you hit the perp down the hall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I was told 00 buck will make it through most walls, while 04 buck usually won't. I live in an apartment, so 04 buck for me. If I lived in a house, 00 for me. This is what multiple gun shops told me, so take the information as you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    There are a number of articles on this. You need information, not opinions. Here are a couple of good places to start:

The Box O' Truth #3 - The Shotgun Meets the Box O' Truth - Page 1

Brass Fetcher Ballistic Testing
    Theboxotruth don't lie

If you watch the brassfetch video on the 12 ga 00 impacting 20% gelatin, you can actually see the shockwave AROUND the gelatin block. don't recall seeing anything like that in a pistol ammo video

If you're using the pistol grip w/o the stock (like I do) then whatever load you go with it should be the low-recoil stuff. In my Mossy 500 I use a combination of Remington OO and Federal Hydra-Shok slugs (low-recoil for both).
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Thanks for all the info, gives me stuff to think about.

I use #1 buck for what I feel is the best compromise between stopping power and reduced overpenetration. 00 buck, to me, is too likely to kill a family member or pet in the next room, or maybe even a neighbor. #1 buck reduces that chance somewhat while giving up almost nothing in stopping power. It is somewhat hard to find though, so I usually have to order it in bulk.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Remington Self Defense, combo of #2 and #4 in each shell. I'm also thinking of getting some bean bag loads, so if the bean bag doesn't work I follow up with the real ammo.

11. I have the same shotgun and I have 00 buck and #4 in mine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast