308 NATO handload
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308 NATO handload

1. 308 NATO handload

I am looking for a load recipe for 7.62x51 that is as close as possible to a military M-80 load for my H&K G3 and my Chilean Mauser. I would like to load with WC846, but it is hard to find. I have 500 cases to reload and I don't want to buy 8 lbs if I only really need 3. I need powder, load and primer info. I am loading a 145gr FMJBT MIL SPEC USGI M80 bullet into once fired, processed, and ready to load military brass. Anyone have a suggestion?

Exclamation Start at the lightest load and work up

Military brass is thicker and has less internal capacity, Pressure spikes much higher and quicker with slightly less powder.Use a chrony and good load data or you could damage your mauser
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Military brass is thicker and has less internal capacity, Pressure spikes much higher and quicker with slightly less powder.Use a chrony and good load data or you could damage your mauser
    I've heard the same. It pays to be safe...

5. Yes, I understand that; that's why I am asking for a starting point with a load of powder that someone else has already used.

Quote Originally Posted by mondovino View Post
    I am looking for a load recipe for 7.62x51 that is as close as possible to a military M-80 load for my H&K G3 and my Chilean Mauser. I would like to load with WC846, but it is hard to find. I have 500 cases to reload and I don't want to buy 8 lbs if I only really need 3. I need powder, load and primer info. I am loading a 145gr FMJBT MIL SPEC USGI M80 bullet into once fired, processed, and ready to load military brass. Anyone have a suggestion?
    I also bought the once fired 308.I also have the 145grain m80.If you perfect the load let me here from you.I am going to be using cci br2 primers and IMR 4064.I'm thinking of using the load listed for 150g as a start.It will be a safe place to start and I can work up.I don't have my chrono yet or the powder so haven't done anything yet.I'm gonna be using this ammo in a Rem 700 VTR with 20 inch barrel.

Powders such as 4064 and 4895 and similar burn rates are what you need for military load and pressure curve distributions

Google for 7.62x51 load data

an example Results 1 - 10 of about 3,000 for 7.62x51 load data. (0.14 seconds)
    Reloading Mil-surp 7.62X51 cases - THR

15 posts - 10 authors - Last post: Jan 17, 2007
    Reloading Mil-surp 7.62X51 cases Handloading and Reloading. ... And lastly, check the load data for 168 gr bullets. Using military brass you ...
    THR - Powered by vBulletin ... Handloading and Reloading - Cached - SimilarIMR 4895 Load Data for .308‎ - Dec 13, 2009
    Differences: .308 and 7.62x51 NATO‎ - Nov 14, 2009
    7.62 x 51 load data...‎ - Feb 17, 2008
    More results from thehighroad.org
    The people think the Second Amendment protects their rights;
    Government sees an obstacle to be over-come.
    NRA Life since 1966

8. I just got bullet chronograph for Christmas, which is what I needed to start working us a new 7.62x51 load for my H&K G3 and my Chilean Mauser. I'll post my results after I test them.

9. .308 Load Info

A great place to check out loads and make a request for more info is Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource . They have always been of great help to me being a new reloader. Good Luck

10. If you're wanting to match Nato ammo,shoot some actual Nato spec rounds over your chrono and record the velocity. Then starting conservatively, work up to a load that matches the velocity w/o going over the max load info in your reloading manual. Be advised that Nato spec ammo may not be the most accurate in your particular rifles. Since I had a lot of Nato surplus ammo, I have been using equivalent loads in most of my reloaded military cases so that sight settings match regardless of factory or reloads. Another reason is I shoot several barrels that are taylored to the military style/ weight bullet which they shoot very well.

New FNAR

I have been loading the 145 m80's with 44 g imr4064 at 2 7/8"OAL with 2750 fps accross my m1 shooting crony.It's actually a fairly accurate load.I shoot it in the new FNAR as well as the 700vtr.However,my most accurate load is the 175g matchking in front of 41g imr4064.The FNAR is advertised as a autoloader with bolt action accuracy.After 100 rounds I can honestly say this is true.The gun will put 3 shots in a hole 2" at 100 if I do my part.I shoot full 20 round mag before it starts throwing the shots and then only an inch or 2 at 100yds.Mine is the heavy barrel.Great gun.All my 308 is loaded in lake city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast