My 308 M1 Garand build
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 308 M1 Garand build

My 308 M1 Garand build

I finally built my M1 Garand in 308. I had a barrel on order from Sarco but it went backorder. I ordered one from E-gunparts and it turned out great. I used a surplus Springfield receiver and all surplus parts that I had on hand. I kept the Sarco barrel on backorder and will probably build another one.

New Barrel and receiver.

Timing the barrel on my lathe.

Just a little more and it's ready to install on the receiver.

Set up to torque the barrel on.

Reaming the chamber.

Chamber reamed and the go gauge fits snug.

No-Go gauge is good.

Receiver is built and Op-Rod is installed.

My 308 receiver block. It's the new ramp for 308 and stops 30-06 from being loaded accidentally.

All together and ready to fire with a new Boyd stock.

After firing a couple rounds I need to open up the gas hole in the barrel because it's short stroking the round. This is normal on the 308 barrel because they drill the hole to 30-06 specs. I'll do this in a few days. After getting it firing correct then I will parkerize all the parts that need it.
    Last edited by Red Hat; 02-17-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Truely very nice work... A sign of a craftman. (I don't mean the thangs from Sears on you bench or under it either)
    Semper Fi

Very, very cool! You've done a beautiful job getting that together. Thanks for sharing.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I am truly jealous. I mean, I like to play with my toys...but you can MAKE your own toys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

6. .308 M1 Garand

Excellent workmanship. Truly a Master machinist.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

AMAZING Work!! This is really amazing. I can only dream of one day making my own toys, that would be sweeet!!!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Thanks for the complements. I think I enjoy building firearms more than anything. There's really nothing to it if you have the equipment. This is one project I've been wanting to do for many years. I love my Garands and the 308 Garand just makes it just sweeter.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Exclamation Very Very nice

Let's see you get into the sub MOA club.
    If that thing shoots as good as it looks, You'll be able to slide right in!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Once I get my 200 yd range built I'll see how she does. I have a couple guys doing some cutting and buning now.

man that's a nice piece of work! very impressive.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast