Will using a bypod change my point of impact?

View Poll Results: Will a bi-pod change my point of impact?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope!

24 58.54%
  • Yes...but less than 1 inch at 100 Yards

9 21.95%
  • Yes...1-3 inches

6 14.63%
  • Yes you won't be able to shoot straight.

2 4.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will using a bypod change my point of impact?

Question Will using a bypod change my point of impact?

Will using a bi-pod change my point of impact?

Here is the point of this argument. It is a standard hunting rifle in a wood stock say a Remington 700 or savage 110 chambered in 30-06.

The rifle is currently zeroed gnat's @$$ at a 100 Yards.

The barrel is not free floated, but rather factory stock.

The Bi-pod is a Harris or similar type, clamped to the front sling swivel stud. (say that five times fast)

I already know the answer...this is for edutainment among us rifle cranks.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Damn, should have read the set up first. Can I still take back my answer?
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress;
    but I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

I would guess that you would get some jump and hit a bit high. Same thing happens if you try to steady your rifle by holding it against a tree. It will bounce away from the tree and hit left or right, depending on which side the tree is on. The former is a guess based on my experience with the latter. Do I get a gold star or have to go back a grade?
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

The introduction of pressure upon the botton of the stock could alter barrel harmonics,however I cannot tell to what extent. It could depend alot upon the expansion ratio of the cartridge as to how much poi could be affected. I have no experience with bi pods because I rely on shooting sticks,and all of my rifles barrels are free floated. So,I would have to say I dont know.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    I would guess that you would get some jump and hit a bit high. Same thing happens if you try to steady your rifle by holding it against a tree. It will bounce away from the tree and hit left or right, depending on which side the tree is on. The former is a guess based on my experience with the latter. Do I get a gold star or have to go back a grade?
    I think it also depends on how hard the surface is that the bipod is on. I'd guess that soft ground/grass wouldn't make it jump as much as shooting off of a concrete sidewalk. I anxiously await enlightenment.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Nope....
    Semper Fi

8. I think it does. A bipod will help me personally, to reduce the involuntary movements.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

It all depends. When you Zeroed your gun I'm guessing you used some kind of rest/sand bag to steady the aim. If the rest/sand bag contacted the stock in the same place as the Bipod is connected you should not see that much different in point of impact. Also depends on if you preload the bipod by putting weight forward or backwards on it. But must likely, it will change the point of impact. How much? I'm not sure but I would rezero my scope after installing the new Bipod.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

If the bipod was clamped to the barrel then yes as it would effect the whip.
    If on the stock then I would say no.
    But it could effect your grip and thus your trigger squeeze.
    either way just re-sight it in with the bipod and you are good to go.

Exclamation This is what happened to me

My buddy had a Savage 110 in 30-06. It was not free-floated. We put my Harris Bipod on it and went to the range. For my buddy it changed his point of impact about 1-1 1/2 inches. For me it changed the point of impact 2-3 inches. The bipod is as far forward as it can get. This is a lot further forward than where you hold standing unsupported. It definitely put pressure on the barrel. My buddy just let the rifle set in the bipod. I on the other hand put pressure on the rifle to make it rock steady.

Their you have it sports fans. It will change point of impact.

After I free floated the barrel and bedded the action the same rifle had not point of impact change with or without the bipod. It is all about the pressure point and barrel harmonics.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast