Best Home defense Gun - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Home defense Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    It's not the caliber, it's the shot placement. Three well controlled quick taps with a .22 just left of sternum center will do more damage than a 12g with '00' buck thrown downrange from the hip. That's the only problem with a gauge and '00'...the shot will go where it wants, not where you want it.
    At home defense distances, the shot is not gonna have much time to spread. Most of the shot will be in the wad still... "Most" home defense distances will be 30' or less... However anything can happen...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

3. i, also , have an 870 for home defence

I have my sig sauer P229 in .40 as my bedside initial responce weapon and the 870 with 00 buck as the fallback.

Shotguns are great up to a point...Here's why: I have spent hours in training on how to disarm people (bad guys, obviously). We use Red Guns or Blue Guns for this training. For those who don't know, Red Guns and Blue Guns are one-piece, solid resin guns used specifically training and only training.
    This is what I have learned about shotguns:
    Shotguns (and rifles) are dangerous to YOU during room clearing. As you are clearing, you want to come around a corner, 'slicing the pie' as you move, right? In a narrow hallway, small room, or any close quarters, a bad guy can stay hidden until he sees the barrel come around the corner. He can grab the gun, using the corner as leverage, pull you forward and off-balance, disarm you, and use YOUR gun to shoot you, club you, etc. In close quarters, the shotgun / rifle is no good for clearance. It is good, however, when 'standing your ground' (otherwise to maintain a room and keep it from being breached by BG). That's why I have two shotguns- just to maintain the security of a single room.
    If you are using a gun to clear a structure, use a pistol that you can pull closer to your body when cornering. Never extend a gun around a corner where BG can grab it. When you keep the gun close to your body (called "close-combat position"), it is going to be more difficult for BG to grab it.
    That's my two cents comment.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    It's not the caliber, it's the shot placement. Three well controlled quick taps with a .22 just left of sternum center will do more damage than a 12g with '00' buck thrown downrange from the hip. That's the only problem with a gauge and '00'...the shot will go where it wants, not where you want it.
    12 ga. with oo buck shot will find it's mark at 21 feet..we are not talk about 100 yard shooting...most gun fight/home defense is about 10-21 feet range..I took my 12 ga to the range shot center bull's eye at 25 yard ...of cause you have to practice...it is part of requirement as marksmanship.....
    .22 vs 12ga at 21 feet.... I go 12ga ..because it will cause more damage and it is the fact. I hope this finds you well.

Well, if a person could only afford one firearm for home defense... yes, I advise a 12ga pump shotgun. Preferably one with a shorter barrel(18-20in). So, a "tactical" if you will. Brand I don't think is important... of course you want something that will go boom everytime you need it to. I own some Mossbergs, Remingtons, and Winchesters and never had an issue with either.

Even the 12ga part is up for debate. A 20ga with a well placed shot will do just the same as a 12ga.

So, agreed it's a shotgun... preferably a 12ga pump. But, any shotgun is better than no shotgun right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I'm not a shotgun guy we have 2, I keep a 12 ga on my side bed and the better half keeps a 20, both H&R pumps loaded with #4 buck, thankfull they have never had to be used for there intended purpose, with a max 30 - 35 ft shot inside your home, your fairly safe from outside wall penatration, and while agreeing that a well placed 22 shot will put even the biggest bad ass down, its doubtful you will have time to aim that shot, I just wish we could have a shotgun with a 10 or 12 inch barrel without haveing to jump threw hoops for a permit

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    I'm not a shotgun guy we have 2, I keep a 12 ga on my side bed and the better half keeps a 20, both H&R pumps loaded with #4 buck, thankfull they have never had to be used for there intended purpose, with a max 30 - 35 ft shot inside your home, your fairly safe from outside wall penatration, and while agreeing that a well placed 22 shot will put even the biggest bad ass down, its doubtful you will have time to aim that shot, I just wish we could have a shotgun with a 10 or 12 inch barrel without haveing to jump threw hoops for a permit
    If you don't mind shorter barrels there is the Judge from Taurus .410 ga. or .45 Colt, or the Governor from S&W.410 2 1/2", .45 ACP, .45 Colt. Neither one has as long a barrel as you wished for but the Taurus can be had with a 6-1/2" barrel.
    They are "just" .410's but I really want to get hit with that.

A hit with a .22 is alway better than a miss with a hand grenade.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    A hit with a .22 is alway better than a miss with a hand grenade.
    Very true, but how bad a shot would you be to miss with a hand grenade

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Very true, but how bad a shot would you be to miss with a hand grenade
    Or how quick the guy you're throwing at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast