Best Home defense Gun - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Home defense Gun

1. I have a .357 beside the bed. My CCW is there too. I have a Redline tac light, inexpensive, but very effective.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Any time I see the words "best for [fill in the blank]" I usually move on.
    There is no best anything when it comes to guns, self-defense, and killing except what works in that few seconds when it's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    Rdc2co, you have to remember that no one ever pays the $200-400 for the advanced training done in the shoot houses with advanced training instructors! However, if you get two or three friends together and darken your house, then tell them to do what they can to disarm you while you try to clear the house, you will soon see the weakness of the shotgun about 3 out of 5 times when moving, at least with criminals that are desperate and know what they are doing. A pistol held close to the body with your free hand available to grab anyone gun-grabbing from around the corner is the safest way to "slice the pie" and clear your corners in a tight space like a house. If you can't afford the time or money for an actual course, you might want to train with a video on handgun tactics like this one: . I'm not a distributor or anything, just found it very helpful.
    Agreed- Add +1 to that. My training cost a lot MORE than a couple hundred bucks, but you make a great point. It gets pretty pricey!
    I also agree that a shotgun is very awkward and clumsy- more of a danger to its owner that the BG. If it can be screwed up, I've been the guy that DID screw it up. I learned a LOT in the 'hot house'(Shoot House'). I learned a LOT of 'what NOT to do' lessons, too. LOL

I think the Suarez videos are pretty good. I think I will order some of those videos tomorrow- also another brand name I can't recall right now. For others reading this thread, I agree with TekGreg, in that you might be smart to get not only this video, but several others. Check out:
    I.C.E. Training | Home and
    Amazon.com: Wilson's House Clearing & Cornering Tactics & Techniques--DVD: Lenny Magill: Movies & TV and/or
    Galati International: House Clearing and Cornering DVD - Gun Video
    For the inexperienced people, doorways, hallways, staircases, and other "choke-points" are also called "the Fatal Funnel" for very good reasons. At home, I would wait for BG to come to me. If he doesn't come to me, I have less paperwork to file.
    The problems that I have are:
    That I currently have 1 shoulder to work with for now.
    That I've never been a martial arts kinds guy. The fancy counter-attack against the blade in the video simply won't happen for me. I'm a little awkward with martial arts, especially right now.
    Greg- your observations are very valid- for "us" it's sometimes hard to go back to square 1.
    Thanks

Do you find people asking you 'Does your dog bite?'? And what is your response? "Nope. He's always got blood on his lips. Here's your sign." (Bill Engvall reference) I once told someone; "Yes, the dog bites, Rain Man." "Here's Your Sign" Bill Engvall reference again...
    Bad Guy on his face and in handcuffs asks me; "Am I under arrest? Nope- we're all going to Dairy Queen. Wanna come, too? Here's your sign..."

Any of these "Which is best......?" threads makes me chuckle a little bit.
    Remember this: Guns are no different than underwear- what fits you, probably won't fit me. Your shoes probably won't fit my feet. Same goes for musical tastes and a whole host of other tastes we all individually develop in life.
    Get as much training as you can afford from the best trainers you can find. For the purposes of this conversation, get signed up with a course that teaches CQB inside a shoot house. Front sight, Gunsite, Suarez, and several other schools offer these classes.
    That's just a thought to plant into your brain...

Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    There is no best anything when it comes to guns, self-defense, and killing except what works in that few seconds when it's happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    The "Best for..." articles are usually good for collecting manufacturer data and some chrono and ballistic gelatin data that a lot of people normally don't have the resources to gather themselves and for new shooters to try to get an idea what they are going to buy for a first weapon to save money. The comparisons can be very helpful for those that have not seen the figures hundreds of times.

JSDinTexas Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
    The "Best for..." articles are usually good for collecting manufacturer data and some chrono and ballistic gelatin data that a lot of people normally don't have the resources to gather themselves and for new shooters to try to get an idea what they are going to buy for a first weapon to save money. The comparisons can be very helpful for those that have not seen the figures hundreds of times.
    I consider opinions that pose an absolute to be very dangerous. The subject matter of this forum can be very serious, and that is why I don't insist that Glocks are the only gun to have, because I know they are not.
    You say, "The comparisons can be very helpful for those that have not seen the figures hundreds of times." I agree with this statement. But "the best" implies it is the only, and that can lead to destruction.

I thought about this question a lot and have come up with this answer... The one that you can deploy and stop the threat. If your comfortable with it and comfortable with using it when necessary,then the rest does not matter.

Yup! Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by slag_it! View Post
    I thought about this question a lot and have come up with this answer... The one that you can deploy and stop the threat. If your comfortable with it and comfortable with using it when necessary,then the rest does not matter.
    "Just git 'er Done!"

Re dogs: Here's a sign to put on your fence or door:
    "Yes, the dogs bite, moron. Don't ask me again."

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast