Best Home defense Gun - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Best Home defense Gun

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    Most seem to agree that the best home defence weapon is what you have with you when needed, personaly we have several, (no kids in the house) a 12 gauge semi auto is good but its a large weapon and can be unweildy, I would say a large bore handgun would also be good loaded with shot shells, now I'm saying this as a strictly inside the home weapon, but one thing I may point out is some sort of early warning device, motion alarm or the old standby a big dog or if just for alarm purposes any dog
    I never understand why people feel the need to say "no kids in the house". A accessible firearm does not translate into or in any way mean kids can get it. A person who carries a firearm as many of us do from the time they get dressed till they undress for bed always have one but no kids have access to it. I have a "few" firearm in my home but nothing out in the open as it where.

Loading a handgun with shot is a BAD idea. Unless you using the judge or Governor even then shot woudl be far at the bottom of my list. Shot shells for standard caliber handgun are underpowered and are prone to all kinds of FTF issues in semis.

Loads for defense should be modern reliable and proven loads. When ti comes time to use a defense weapon it has to work and work correctly this is not the place for issues to occur. This is also why the weapon used for defense must be TRAINED with you need to know how to deal with the what may happen when ( cause it will happen at the worst possible time ) it does otherwise you got a club in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by maine04619 View Post
    I never understand why people feel the need to say "no kids in the house". A accessible firearm does not translate into or in any way mean kids can get it. A person who carries a firearm as many of us do from the time they get dressed till they undress for bed always have one but no kids have access to it. I have a "few" firearm in my home but nothing out in the open as it where.

Loading a handgun with shot is a BAD idea. Unless you using the judge or Governor even then shot woudl be far at the bottom of my list. Shot shells for standard caliber handgun are underpowered and are prone to all kinds of FTF issues in semis.

Loads for defense should be modern reliable and proven loads. When ti comes time to use a defense weapon it has to work and work correctly this is not the place for issues to occur. This is also why the weapon used for defense must be TRAINED with you need to know how to deal with the what may happen when ( cause it will happen at the worst possible time ) it does otherwise you got a club in your hands.
    What, no advice as to what type of dog would be best
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

If you were to use a 20 or 12ga I'd load it with reduced recoil loads, it may only drop velocity 100 or so fps it'll reduce the risk of over penetrating through all of your drywall... you could also buy smaller shot, it doesn't have to be 00 or 000. #4 works well and a lot of PD use it on entry teams... even duck loads can do some major damage to a human at close range. #7 or #8 shot within 5 yards is nasty, perhaps not ideal... but you put a shot of #8 into somebody within 5 yards and they'll rethink their course of action.

A .410 bore is an alright option too, either from a shotgun or a Judge. Less lead, less velocity...

Either way, if you use a shotgun it shoud be an 18" w/ a pistol grip... butt stock optional. Try to keep it as short as possible to make it easier to handle.

A .22lr is as good an option as any, if you can shoot well and have night sights you'll have a respectable weapon for home invasions. CCI Mini-Mag 36gr HPs actually perform well in ballistics gel, with expansion as large as .40-.50 diameter. I know, I know... just use a .40 and you get that with FMJs. But, depending on who's in your home a .40 may be more of a problem than a solution. Small spouse sensative to recoil? Teenage children? Guests staying over that aren't firearms savy?

Each person has different needs and concerns, different home layouts, etc.... to each his(or her) own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Surprise

The best home defense gun is the one you can get your hands on the quickest. I have a number of guns around my home and have the ability to use them all well. I have no children living at home and my wife shoots as well as I do. We live in the country and protect our property well and will know before they get in the house if they are on the property. The best defense is a strong offense. Wake up BGs
    I'd rather be a Conservative Nutjob. Than a Liberal with NO Nuts & NO Job

My research has shown me that a #1 buckshot is better for civilian use than OOB
    -Austin

7. Best Home defense Gun

My Mossberg 500 is loaded with Winchester PDX1, nasty stuff. Slug surrounded by OOB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. +1 for the 870 Express Tactical. Just finished Defensive Shotgun Class. If you want to use a shotgun for HD, that's the one.

Best Home defense Gun-870-express-tactical-81198-prod.jpg

9. Quote Originally Posted by GR8GLOCKS View Post
    +1 for the 870 Express Tactical. Just finished Defensive Shotgun Class. If you want to use a shotgun for HD, that's the one.

Best Home defense Gun-870-express-tactical-81198-prod.jpg
    Disagree... an 870 express holds no candle to one of these... a real can of whoopass...
    Best Home defense Gun-saiga12.jpg

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dekul34 View Post
    Disagree... an 870 express holds no candle to one of these... a real can of whoopass...
    Best Home defense Gun-saiga12.jpg
    The way things are going, by the end of the year, those will be on the banned list.

12 guage double barrel coach gun backed up by 1911 and MP-5.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast