Question for Mosin Nagant experts
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Question for Mosin Nagant experts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rogers, AR
    Posts
    63

    Question for Mosin Nagant experts

    I stopped by the fun store tonight for something unrelated, and I wandered over to their Nagants. I've been considering one for a few days, and I wanted to see their conditions and markings.

    They have a what appears to be a 91/30 with a turned down bolt. The numbers match on the bolt, barrel, and magazine floorplate, but I can't see anything that would suggest it was a sniper model, other than the bolt. It doesn't appear that there were any mounting holes, welded over or otherwise.

    They want $150 for it, rather than the usual $109-120. I suppose the numbers could be force matched, but why stick a sniper bolt on it?

    What, if anything, could I be looking at?
    The mighty oak was once a little nut who held it's ground.


  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    3,098

    Exclamation It may have been done as a precurser to sporterizing

    It sounds like a project gun or possibly one that met the Armory criteria for a sniper and was held in reserve but no further action taken.

    My advice is that if the bore is in "good" shape or better...get it it will make a great project gun for a synthetic stock and decent cheap scope.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC USA
    Posts
    108
    Whats a sniper bolt?
    "If it is time to bury your guns, then it is time to dig them up!"

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    3,098

    Exclamation A Sniper bolt is...

    On pre-Korean war vintage rifles, Those that were selected for service as a sniper rifle usually had the bolt handle bent down at about a 45 degree angle so that when the bolt was cycled it would clear the ocular bell of the telescopic sight (scope). On a Mosin Nagant, the bolt normally sticks straight out and will not clear a scope with out being bent or "turned down". The same hold true for almost all Mausers and 1903 Springfields.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC USA
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    On pre-Korean war vintage rifles, Those that were selected for service as a sniper rifle usually had the bolt handle bent down at about a 45 degree angle so that when the bolt was cycled it would clear the ocular bell of the telescopic sight (scope). On a Mosin Nagant, the bolt normally sticks straight out and will not clear a scope with out being bent or "turned down". The same hold true for almost all Mausers and 1903 Springfields.


    Ah, I see. After I posted that I checked out my MN and I see the bolt handle sticks straight up when it is open. Thanks. Next time I will know what I'm looking at!
    "If it is time to bury your guns, then it is time to dig them up!"

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Rogers, AR
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    It sounds like a project gun or possibly one that met the Armory criteria for a sniper and was held in reserve but no further action taken.

    My advice is that if the bore is in "good" shape or better...get it it will make a great project gun for a synthetic stock and decent cheap scope.
    That's interesting.

    I appreciate the advice, but the synthetic sporterized look just doesn't do it for me. If I were to get it, it would be for the historical value or look.

    They have two with hex receivers, one marked 1931, and the other marked with a faint 19 and what could be 33, but I can only make out the top of the number. It could be 30, or 33.

    I don't know. I just love history, but I've got a shotgun coming on Monday, so if I get a Nagant, it'll have to wait a week or two.
    The mighty oak was once a little nut who held it's ground.


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    desha, arkansas
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    That's interesting.

    I appreciate the advice, but the synthetic sporterized look just doesn't do it for me. If I were to get it, it would be for the historical value or look.

    They have two with hex receivers, one marked 1931, and the other marked with a faint 19 and what could be 33, but I can only make out the top of the number. It could be 30, or 33.

    I don't know. I just love history, but I've got a shotgun coming on Monday, so if I get a Nagant, it'll have to wait a week or two.
    i recently gave my oldest daughter's husband my old mn, it was a cavelry model that had a 16"or 18"bbl. can't remember exactly as it has been about a year since i've seen it but it shot great but because of my back injury can't take the recoil any more, it's some where between a .308 and a 30-06, was a perfect condition military carbine but kicked like a missouri mule!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast