Tactical Shotguns- Remington vs. Mossberg - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Shotguns- Remington vs. Mossberg

Can't go wrong with the Mossy dude. :)

Congrats on your future purchase!
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

Who says you have to keep the safety on at all? I don't keep it engaged on mine. I don't keep a round chambered either, though. Say what you want, but to me keeping a round chambered on a firearm that you might need to fumble around for in the dark does not seem safe.

Quote Originally Posted by tylersaurus View Post
    The safety on the Mossberg is located on the top of the receiver. On a
    traditionally stocked shotgun this setup works well, but throw a pistol gripped stock on it and you can't release the safety while maintaining a shooting grip. Try one out and you'll see what I mean. If you want a pistol grip I'd definately go with the Remington (much better safety placement), if you're getting a more traditional stock either should serve you well.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Exclamation Don't let Tatt fool ya!

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Who says you have to keep the safety on at all? I don't keep it engaged on mine. I don't keep a round chambered either, though. Say what you want, but to me keeping a round chambered on a firearm that you might need to fumble around for in the dark does not seem safe.
    The REAL reason that Tatt doesn't keep a round chambered is that is gives him an excuse to rack the slide, thereby making the BG platz.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

5. I've thought about it some more and I agree that the safety placement shouldn't be much of an issue even with the M4-style stock. However, I think the ghost rings are a bit overkill. If this weapon ever has to be used defensively, I doubt I'll be looking down the sights.

One other question: It seems that none of the 590A1 models come with a heat shield installed. Is there a reason for this? That is, would I be able to get one installed later or do they only make heat shields for the 500s and regular 590s with thinner barrels? If I have to choose between a 500/590 with a heat shield and a 590A1 without, I might go with the former.

I went with the 870...

I do not mean in any way to take anything away from the Mossberg 500, which I lusted over for a long time (and still do for that matter), but I finally decided on the Remington 870 (18" barrel)--mainly due to the seemingly superior construction and, at least for me, handling. I put a short Hogue stock on it (because everything on me is short and stubby), and I love it. My daughter has the same, and my son has a slightly more tactical version (w/ breacher), and everybody's happy! I also have an 11-87 that is the cat's meow, but stick with the 870 for the utmost reliability. If you're really counting pennies, though, consider Mossberg's "Maverick"--$200 and they work great.

Ghost Sights

Perhaps there are tactical situations in which ghost sights on a shotgun are desireable, but it's hard for me to imagine. A good bead is MUCH quicker, provides MUCH better visibility, is quite accurate, and generally allows a good cheek weld (I find ghost sights typically don't). I like ghost sights on rifles, and used to want one on my shotgun, but a retired Navy policeman and fellow gun enthusiast I know set me straight.

Why are you so concerned about the heat shield? It doesn't really do anything but heat up just as fast as the barrel does. My 500 doesn't have one and I have never been burned by the barrel, and I have countless thousands of rounds through it.
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

I know this wasn't one of your choices, but have you considered (or even heard of) a Saiga 12? A semi-auto 12 gauge SG with AK reliability. I particularly love the box magazine (which come in 2- 5- 8- 10- and 12 round capacities) because using 3" shells doesn't reduce the capacity.

For about $500, you start out with a basic "sporting style" shotgun, but the possibilities are endless as far as modifications and add-ons.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

I will take My 870 Any time....

I bought this Mossberg a few months ago for home defense. It has an intimidating bezel....Which you can use to poke the BG with and at the same time say "Get the Hell Out of My HOUSE!"

Mossberg Cruiser 12g 18.5" Pistol Grip 6 Shot Parkerized

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast