Tactical Shotguns- Remington vs. Mossberg - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Shotguns- Remington vs. Mossberg

I have a Mossberg 500 pistol grip with breacher (also good for close combat poking) and a Mossberg 930 set up for tactical shooting - both are great -but you will have fewer accessories than for the Rem 870 if you like to add stuff.

I have a rail on top of both, the 930 has an Electro red dot which is sighted for 100 yards with slugs, it comes off easy so and does not loose the zero.

On the 500 I noticed it's very easy to not be on target with 00 buck if you do not have it pointed dead on, looking for a light-laser combination to put on the rail , good for searching a dark house and you know where the center of the 00 is going to go.

3. I have a mossy 590 and 500c. I have owned a few 870's but never really keep them long I'm a Mossberg man myself. A 870 is not a bad firearm by any means but my pick has always been my trusty Mossberg. My 590 has a 18.5" barrel with 8+1 for 2 3/4 shells and 7+1 for 3". When I bought it it came with a heat shield, ghost ring sights, 6 shot side saddle, strap, and a quick load stock that holds 4 shells. If you asked me I'd say 500 or 590

Question Ammo question

I've followed this thread with great interest as I, too, am looking for a home defense shot gun. I didn't read too much about shell size, however, and I know nothing except what the sales people tell me. What size is good for home defense? 10? 12? 20? 410? Other? I'm thinking that price and availability, size and load, would all be considerations, just as it is for my pistols and rifles. I looked thru the ammo and reloading threads and there's nothing there that answers my questions. It's been many years since I fired any type of shot gun and I'm pleasantly surprised to view the new designs, and upgrades. Any comments, thoughts, recommendations? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    I've followed this thread with great interest as I, too, am looking for a home defense shot gun. I didn't read too much about shell size, however, and I know nothing except what the sales people tell me. What size is good for home defense? 10? 12? 20? 410? Other? I'm thinking that price and availability, size and load, would all be considerations, just as it is for my pistols and rifles. I looked thru the ammo and reloading threads and there's nothing there that answers my questions. It's been many years since I fired any type of shot gun and I'm pleasantly surprised to view the new designs, and upgrades. Any comments, thoughts, recommendations? Thanks.
    Most common shotgun shell gauges would be 12 and 20. Most common length in shogun shells would be the 2 3/4". If you can find a 12 gauge shotgun that you like and can handle it well, I'd strongly recommend the 12 gauge, since ammo would be readily available and is more forgiving due to the number of shot pellets in the larger shell. There's also a larger variety of ammo available for the 12 gauge. Get the opinions of shotgun owners along with the sales staff at the gun stores. Due to limited availability of firearms in some areas, store clerks may tell you what you want to hear to encourage you to purchase what they have in stock, rather than what would be best for your needs.

Hope I've been able to answer your questions.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by usmc guy View Post
    I have a Mossberg 500 pistol grip with breacher (also good for close combat poking) and a Mossberg 930 set up for tactical shooting - both are great -but you will have fewer accessories than for the Rem 870 if you like to add stuff.

I have a rail on top of both, the 930 has an Electro red dot which is sighted for 100 yards with slugs, it comes off easy so and does not loose the zero.

On the 500 I noticed it's very easy to not be on target with 00 buck if you do not have it pointed dead on, looking for a light-laser combination to put on the rail , good for searching a dark house and you know where the center of the 00 is going to go.
    thats the number one reason i got rid of my pistol grip. i traded less mobility for accuracy. i had the bright idea of shooting 3" magnum shells through mine and actually tried to aim it, every shot missed from 20 to 25 yards and i was left with a very sore hand. it actually stated in the manual that it was intended for firing from the hip and up close and personal. i aint doin that no more. but in the end its all on what one desires.
    "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Most common shotgun shell gauges would be 12 and 20. Most common length in shogun shells would be the 2 3/4". If you can find a 12 gauge shotgun that you like and can handle it well, I'd strongly recommend the 12 gauge, since ammo would be readily available and is more forgiving due to the number of shot pellets in the larger shell. There's also a larger variety of ammo available for the 12 gauge. Get the opinions of shotgun owners along with the sales staff at the gun stores. Due to limited availability of firearms in some areas, store clerks may tell you what you want to hear to encourage you to purchase what they have in stock, rather than what would be best for your needs.

Hope I've been able to answer your questions.

gf
    Yes, that helped, thx gf.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc guy View Post

Semper fi, I have both Remington 870 and the Mossberg 930 SPX like them both
    Frank
    Glock 27, Glock 23, Glock 22
    Mossberg 930SPX

as for getting either a mossberg or an 870, i have both. and jiggling the two is not going to determine one is more rugged than the other. they are both well built platforms that have stood the test of time. i have a total of 3 mossbergs and just 1 870. one of my mossbergs is actually a really old police issue from the 60's when they still had the single action arm, and was a veteran to the detroit riots. but i hear people say that the mossberg sucks or is inferior due to a single action arm, and if that is the case, then i guess the model 1897 winchester trench gun that our boys used in the second world war was not very good either.
    it all boils down to preference. i prefer the mossbergs for several reasons. and many of them stem from the way the weapons break down. if you have the two broken down in front of you then youll notice several differences. but non the less, i hope you found one that you felt best with. my next one will be a semi auto for sure. the pictures below are my work in progress on my Mossberg 500 persuader. i plan on transfering all of the upgrades to my 590A1 when my sight arrives from Trijicon in the next few weeks.

"You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."

I've got a Benelli M1 Super 90 that serves as my HD scattergun.

I did however change out the foreend to the Surefire dedicated light series.

I doubt I'll ever need more than one or two shot shells in a home invasion scenario, assuming I even wake up and can get to the scattergun. I sleep heavy that's why there is a big dog that sleeps at the foot of the entry door.

Personally I don't care what you give me. Mossberg, Benelli, Rem 870 etc. If it goes bang and can hold at least 5 shot shells I'm confident I can manage the situation. I don't need doo dadds on the shotty. A light is sufficient. You can have your rails, foregrips and all that other garbage. You don't need special sights, lasers, Aimpoints etc with a scattergun. If you do, then you must be legally blind, of very poor eyesight or can't hit the broad side of a barn with any firearm.

People are more important than the hardware.
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

The 870 is just a better built gun...

Your grand-children's children will just love it... as it will still be around and running. There's a reason that the Remington 870 is the longest and highest volume continuously produced shotgun in history...

I have a 870, built in the 70's, handed down from my dad, with a +4 tube on it and a 18" cyl choke barrel. Yes, the tube sticks out 3-4" past the barrel, but it ain't a beauty contest... It shoots anything you feed it. It has in duck blinds, tree stands, in the ice, and snow, and rain, and mud...

Buy an 870. Take care of it. Pass it down to YOUR kids, almost 40 years from now... It'll be just as nice then.

Jeff

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast