Shotgun For Home Defense
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun For Home Defense

Shotgun For Home Defense

If you have a shotgun for home defense is it an auto or pump, and how do you keep it loaded. I have both and both are tactical style with 18 Ĺ barrels and magazine extension. My 870 holds 6 rounds in the magazine tube and my 930 SPX holds 7 rounds. I am using the 930 as my home defense and have it loaded with 5 rounds of 00 buck in the magazine tube, chamber empty, and safety on. When using the 870 Iíll have it loaded the same. My Glock 23 is always next to my bed.

Thank you
    Frank
    Glock 27, Glock 23, Glock 22
    Mossberg 930SPX

3. Prior to switching to a pistol for HD I used my Mosberg 500 with an 18" barrel and five rounds of number 4 buck in 12ga 3" shells in the tube. Chamber empty safety off. Just had to rack and roll.

why I use a pump gun

I load mine with reduced recoil slugs/buck since it's also the wife's go-to gun.

Reduced recoil loads usually do not cycle autos.

AND, in spite of all the internet jokes, pump action shotguns DO sound scary!
    Legalize Freedom!

building an AR on my blog

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
    I load mine with reduced recoil slugs/buck since it's also the wife's go-to gun.

Reduced recoil loads usually do not cycle autos.

AND, in spite of all the internet jokes, pump action shotguns DO sound scary!
    That is what I like about my Mossberg 930 SPX it likes low brass as much as high brass.
    Frank
    Glock 27, Glock 23, Glock 22
    Mossberg 930SPX

Exclamation Make Mine A Mossberg!

Mossberg 500, 18 1/2 inch BBL
    5 rounds 2 3/4 inch #4 in the tube.
    Chamber Empty

I am in hopes that in the event of a break in when the BG hears the rock solid Kershack Kershack of a Pump Shotgun (standard rural eviction notice) that they will bail back out what ever window/door they broke into.

I keep my pistol in the nightstand just in case but my go to gun for home defense is the shotgun. It is old school and doesn't pass through exterior walls with "lethal" energy. Since we are rural I am more likely to need it to chase a fox out of the hen-house or kill a snake in the yard, but let's face it I have used it a lot, I am comfortable with it, and because I am a rifleman first and foremost, it is very natural for me to handle.

In a home defense situation there is no surgeon in the world who can fix the multiple trauma from a shot gun blast at less than 20 feet of range.

This does not mean I do not know how to use a pistol, it means I am more comfortable with a MOSSBERG!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Mossberg 500, 18 1/2 inch BBL
    I am in hopes that in the event of a break in when the BG hears the rock solid Kershack Kershack of a Pump Shotgun (standard rural eviction notice) that they will bail back out what ever window/door they broke into.

...!
    Sadly, an intruder will never get to her that sound as the blast will be his last audio from this world.

-Doc

Our main shotgun for home defense is a Mossberg 500. Hubby and I carry almost 24/7.

"Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

9. For my home i use my pistol, close quarters with obstacles makes my pistol a better choice. i have a Mossberg 590A1 9 shot as a optional go to weapon if i choose. Covering and moving among obstacles in my home makes my 45 and/or 10mm my prime choice, a 18-20 inch barrel weapon hinders my moves and/or covering if needed.

My next gun purchase for myself will be a Mossberg 500 series 20 gauge shotgun with an 18" barrel (either manufactured that length or customized after purchase!).

But, I do at present have a Browning Auto 5—20 gauge with #4 shot, two in the magazine, one in the chamber with safety on. It is not my first go to gun, simply due to the barrel length being more suited to bird hunting as opposed to home defense. If someone busts into my home, my go to is the H&K USP 40; my bride has the Ruger P89 9mm at her disposal. The shotty and a number of other guns are available throughout the homestead as well! :)

However, after I acquire the new Mossberg, it may become the go to… idk?! I do think I'd prefer the shotgun for home defense.
    Blessed be my God, my mountain, who trains me to fight fair and well! Psalm 144 (msg)
    ...follow me at twitter.com/matthewaynelson

My shotgun for HD is a Mossberg 590A1...I keep 8 in the tube 0 in the chamber...safety on. !st round is birdshot...next 7 rounds 00 Buckshot

My HD pistol is my HK45....chambered round decocked with a Streamlight TLR 2
    Corbon Power Balls loaded up in old girl.
    Regards,
    Shanester
    "FIGHT CRIME...SHOOT BACK!!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast