AR-15 optic help

Thread: AR-15 optic help

1. AR-15 optic help

Hey guys,
    Just purchased my first AR-15. It's a DoubleStar M4 style. I going to use it primarily for range shooting and maybe occasional varmint destruction and of course zombies/SHTF scenarios.

But I need help picking out an optic for it. I'm torn between getting a dot sight (like the Trijicon RMR) and an actual magnifying scope. Any thoughts? Positives or negatives? Any recommendations?

btw, Bud's Gun shop has a heck of deal on these DoubleStars. $659 shipped.
    Romans 3:22-24

Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 .45
    Taurus Millenium Pro .40
    Kel-Tec P3AT .380

I have an EOTech on mine and LOVE it. Only down side is it has a shorter battery life then an aimpoint. Trijicon make good sights also. If you also wanted magnification I'd get a flip away mount for the magnifier. That way you can move it out of the way if shooting in close then use it when needed for longer distances.

Congrats on your first AR!

Oh by the way...... This post is worthless with out pics!
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by johioss View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just purchased my first AR-15. It's a DoubleStar M4 style. I going to use it primarily for range shooting and maybe occasional varmint destruction and of course zombies/SHTF scenarios.

But I need help picking out an optic for it. I'm torn between getting a dot sight (like the Trijicon RMR) and an actual magnifying scope. Any thoughts? Positives or negatives? Any recommendations?

btw, Bud's Gun shop has a heck of deal on these DoubleStars. $659 shipped.
    Congrats! Been going through the same research/decision making myself. Trijicon is nice especially since I'd like to support them since I found out about the bible passage in the serial # controversy. Not religious, just like to support people that stick with their convictions/beliefs.
    I recently found out that EOtech makes a red dot that has the specific drop rate factored in (4 dots for different yardage) for the 5.56. Check it out. I hink that is what I will go for. I like the circle for quick acquisition along with the dot in the center for precision.

EOTech M557 with 3x swing-out magnifier.

Awesome performance!

-Doc

I've had a TA01 for about 10 years. It's the best scope I've found for a AR. I have no trouble hitting 2" targets at 100 yds, with 10" targets still easy pickings at 500 yrds. It's a great optic for its ruggedness and its versatility.

The EOTech 557 that was mentioned with the bullet drop indicater is costly and really doesn't do you much good without a magnifyer, the 1 moa dots are strung close together and hard to make out. The night vision settings when used on some maybe not all have what looks like check mark or slash marks instead of 1 moa dots.
    I would do some research before just plopping down that kind of money.
    The Aimpoint line make some great sights and the battery life is 50 thousand pluss hours on a small hearing aide type battery. Worth a look see.
    Good luck and God speed
    Last edited by glock36; 03-26-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    State and local politicians should be on notice: the Second Amendment is a normal part of the Bill of Rights, and it is coming to your town.
    Attorney Alan Gura