Colt Sporter Lightweight 5.56mm

Thread: Colt Sporter Lightweight 5.56mm

Colt Sporter Lightweight 5.56mm

I'm looking at a Colt Sporter Lightweight model AR-15 for the next Acquisition. It's Pre-ban 1993 time frame and has maybe 100-200 rounds through it. It's like new.
    Are there any issues with this model that I should be aware of?
    Any special things to look out for?
    Parts that should be replaced with others? Things of that nature.

It's gonna be a trade deal for an item that I have so no money changing hands. Very cool.

Any feedback or comments or advice appreciated.

Thanks and Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I once bought a Colt Match Target HBAR. Worst trigger I've ever come across on any firearm I've owned. Had to replace it with a Gold trigger to make it shoot worth a damn. Inside of the removable carry handle was not ground smooth. Not impressed with Colt. Dry fire it a few times before buying and check for nasty, gritty trigger creep.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

The trigger was good on this one. Not gritty, good break. They are easy enough to swap out.

This one is pre-ban has only been test fired. Very clean. No rust in the chamber or bore...

It's mine now. Price was right...

Peace...

On the receiver does it have SP1 above the serial number? SP1 is the first model released by Colt. It should have a large pivot pin and a small takedown pin. SP1's are now bringing a good price as collectors want one for their collection. I have three SP1's. Carbine, Sporter (GAU) and a old HBAR. Take a good look at the trigger group. People had a tendency to change them out with M-16 trigger groups.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    On the receiver does it have SP1 above the serial number? SP1 is the first model released by Colt. It should have a large pivot pin and a small takedown pin. SP1's are now bringing a good price as collectors want one for their collection. I have three SP1's. Carbine, Sporter (GAU) and a old HBAR. Take a good look at the trigger group. People had a tendency to change them out with M-16 trigger groups.
    Just SL for the beginning of the serial number so it's just a Sporter Lightweight type. The trigger group is still stock. The rifle has been test fired only. I know the original owner and he made no mods. He has another one which is a CAR so it may be a SP1 type. I'll have to ask him. He's not planning to part with the other one so it may be. By the SN# I believe it's a 1992 make. Which coincides with the year he bought it.

Thanks for the info.

Peace.