Just Had To Have One
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Just Had To Have One

  1. #1

    Just Had To Have One

    Well I just had to do it. After not owning a rifle for 30 years or so I finally broke down and ordered a CMP M1 Special. New stock, new barrell and refinished everything else. It came last week, a friend and I took it to the range today. He had not shot one since 1955 and I last shot one in 1972. Right out of the box with just a good cleaning we were shooting 2" groups at 75 yards with the sights untouched. I thought that was pretty good for a couple of old guys who hadn't shot any rifle for better than 25 years or so. My wife has restricted me from buying anymore pistols or shotguns. She has never said anything about rifles! I think I have created a monster!
    Can't wait to find a longer range.
    [

  2.   
  3. #2
    wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by R&M View Post
    Well I just had to do it. After not owning a rifle for 30 years or so I finally broke down and ordered a CMP M1 Special. New stock, new barrell and refinished everything else. It came last week, a friend and I took it to the range today. He had not shot one since 1955 and I last shot one in 1972. Right out of the box with just a good cleaning we were shooting 2" groups at 75 yards with the sights untouched. I thought that was pretty good for a couple of old guys who hadn't shot any rifle for better than 25 years or so. My wife has restricted me from buying anymore pistols or shotguns. She has never said anything about rifles! I think I have created a monster!
    Can't wait to find a longer range.
    Gotta find & use those loopholes!!!

  4. #3
    I've never hear of CMP rifles until now. I've been interested in purchasing a M1 for a while now and am curious to know what "grade" you decided to go with and what your impression was when you got it. Was it in better condition than you thought it would be or about what you expected? Would it be too much of an imposition to ask for some pictures?
    There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, "All right, then, have it your way." - C. S. Lewis

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    Looking for forgiveness is part of married life. You ain't livin if you ain't asking to be forgiven!! Enjoy it...
    Good understanding of the rules and where the loopholes are is the basis of a good marriage...

    Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 91JEEPYJ View Post
    I've never hear of CMP rifles until now. I've been interested in purchasing a M1 for a while now and am curious to know what "grade" you decided to go with and what your impression was when you got it. Was it in better condition than you thought it would be or about what you expected? Would it be too much of an imposition to ask for some pictures?
    I had been thinking about an M1 for a few years. I'm not really into a collector grade just wanted one in good shape. I think that you get luck of the draw when you order the rack or service grade. From reading the comments on thier website I think the CMP really trys to not send out junk but I didn't want to take a chance. The one I ordered is called the "CMP Special Grade" , a SA receiver with a new barrell and stock. No collector value but in excellent condition. I got a low serial number under 680000. Looks and shoots like new. I will try to post some pics if I can figure out the technology. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement.
    [

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,429
    An M1, is a fine addition to a collection. I wish I had the funds.

    It is a historic firearm. Still very effective if you need some firepower.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MA, Away from the liberal loonies...
    Posts
    2,658
    Quote Originally Posted by R&M View Post
    I had been thinking about an M1 for a few years. I'm not really into a collector grade just wanted one in good shape. I think that you get luck of the draw when you order the rack or service grade. From reading the comments on thier website I think the CMP really trys to not send out junk but I didn't want to take a chance. The one I ordered is called the "CMP Special Grade" , a SA receiver with a new barrell and stock. No collector value but in excellent condition. I got a low serial number under 680000. Looks and shoots like new. I will try to post some pics if I can figure out the technology. To say I'm pleased would be an understatement.
    Pics are good. Take the digital pics and get them on your computer.
    From there do the following.

    1. On your main page there is a function for photo albums. Click on the link show all albums.
    2. Click on Add an Album.
    3. Choose a title and enter it, click on private or public then click on submit.
    4. Click on the album name and Then click on Upload Pictures.
    5. The Upload page will have 5 places to add pictures from your PC to upload to the site.
    6. Click on the Browse button and in the window that opens, choose the folder or directory in your computer where the pictures are stored.
    7. Click on the picture that you wish to add and make sure the file name is in the file name dialog box, click open.
    8. The window that opened in step 6 will close and the file path will be in the box next to the Browse button.
    9. Repeat step 5 and use the next open space and start from step 6.
    10. Once all the spaces are filled or you have chosen all the pictures you wish to upload, click on the blue box Upload Pictures. Be patient and wait for the upload to finish...

    Let the rest of us jealous fools enjoy the gun porn when you're done...

    Peace..
    You can give peace a chance alright..

    I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

  9. #8
    For those that have not heard nor know of the Civillian Marksmenship Program (CMP) and their policies for M1 Garand sales.

    CMP Home
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Ropadope View Post
    For those that have not heard nor know of the Civillian Marksmenship Program (CMP) and their policies for M1 Garand sales.

    CMP Home
    thx for the heads up !

    Mike

  11. A friend of mine got one of these a while back. His must be the same grade you described. None of the numbers match (SA receiver, just about every other part from a different manufacturer), but it's got a brand new CMP stock and it shoots like a dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast