Mossberg 500
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500

Mossberg 500

I'm interested in buying one someday soon for home protection. I already have an 870 Wingmaster that I hunt with every year but I've been wanting a pistol grip shotgun for a while now to keep under my bed.. Any first hand opinions out there?

The 500 hundred is a fine gun. The 590 A1 is an upgrade and even better. IMHO.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

i have a 500 and love it. im sure there are better out there, but i love mine. best 250 i ever spent

Exclamation my mossy lives under the bed

my mossy lives under the bed...it is one of the monsters under the bed. I love the idea of the rock solid kershack of a 12 ga. slide. It makes would be thieves rethink their position on the food chain pretty quickly.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Just a heads up if you are planning to buy in the very near future. budsgunshop.com has mossberg home defense pistol grip shotguns for $279 right now... Heck of a deal!

And, I enjoy my Mossberg 500. Picked it up at ****'s years ago. Has never missed a beat.

Quote Originally Posted by daveskrab View Post
    Just a heads up if you are planning to buy in the very near future. budsgunshop.com has mossberg home defense pistol grip shotguns for $279 right now... Heck of a deal!

And, I enjoy my Mossberg 500. Picked it up at ****'s years ago. Has never missed a beat.
    Could u provide me a link to that gun at buds because I cannot find the gun at that price for the life of me.. Thanks!

wolfhunter Guest

While I am a semi-auto shotgun guy for combat shotguns, the 500 or even better the 590 are excellent pump guns. If I were you, since you already hunt with an 870 Wingmaster, why not stick with one for home defense? Get a used Wingmaster and add a mag tube extension and a short or cut down barrel or buy the Police Magnum 870. I don't like the Express models, but even a used wingmaster is a great gun if it's in decent condition. I also prefer a full shoulder stock or solid (non-folding) pistol grip stock on a short barrel gun. To me the pistol grip is too unstable as a firing platform and even though slightly shorter, is a minus on shooting quickly and accurately. There was a Police Officer in my area several years back that went in on a raid with a pistol grip shotgun. He had to fire at a suspect 3 times, and missed him at about 15 feet down the hall. Big wads of buckshot went over the guys head, under his arm, etc. A guy with a pistol finally ended up hitting the bad guy. The bad guy fortunately was a bad shot too. There is a misconception that you can't miss with a shotgun, because of the spread. Some folks think that a short barrel means the shot will cover a wall at 10 feet. Big Mistake. Shoot your shotgun at 10 feet and see how big the pattern really is. Most cases it will be a big wad of lead the size of your fist. The pistol grip is hard to shoot and unstable for aiming. Even bringing the gun stock up to your shoulder and the barrel within your field of vison improves your hit probablity greatly.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

11. I have a 500 20G. Its a wonderful firearm and I plan to hand it down to my daughter some day.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast