looking to buy a rifle>>>> - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: looking to buy a rifle>>>>

7mm

Quote Originally Posted by randyg27 View Post
    what you think about the 7 mm mag??
    That 7mm rem mag treads on the heels of the 300 Win mag if you use well constructed bullets.
    Should shoot like a laser and kick hard if your rifle+scope is under 7-8lbs.
    You can use it all the way up to grizzly bears credibly.

Have you priced 7mm mag ammo lately? You may want to start reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Jes View Post
    That 7mm rem mag treads on the heels of the 300 Win mag if you use well constructed bullets.
    Should shoot like a laser and kick hard if your rifle+scope is under 7-8lbs.
    You can use it all the way up to grizzly bears credibly.

Have you priced 7mm mag ammo lately? You may want to start reloading.
    yes 25 per box

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg27 View Post
    yes 25 per box
    and up. I started reloading because of my 7mm. Reusing my own brass keeps my costs down to about 50-60%

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
    Any decent rifle should be accurate at 100 yards...now the shooter may be a different problem. My old Model 70 .30-06 (1949 manufacture) will shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards that all 5 shots touch (one ragged hole) all day long. This is off the shelf factory ammo.

I can get the same results from my Model 722 Remington (1952 manufacturer), .257 Roberts with factory ammo.

The .243 is a pretty light load and can take white tails. But you need to be a good shot and take your time to place them well to prevent injuring game. I have never really cared for the .243 cartridge.

For a good all around gun for North America, I'd still pick the 30-06 or 270. Lots of amo choice and it is readily available pretty much any where.

Ken
    I was looking at the .243 for shooting varmints here in Indiana. We can't use rifles for hunting deer here unless it is chambered in a revolver cartridge like a .44 mag. I agree with what you are saying about the .243 being on the light side for larger game though. Lots of guys around here use the .22-250 or .223 for varmints, but I was going to try to split the difference and buy a center fire that was not too big for ground hogs out to 400 yards and would work in a pinch on a deer in the case of survival. You are a lucky man for owning that pre-64 Model 70!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123