Starting to research a rilfe purchase!

Thread: Starting to research a rilfe purchase!

1. Starting to research a rilfe purchase!

Shot a buddies 30-06 today at the range and found it to be very fun. I am going to buy a rifle but don't know where to start with researching. I will be using it for 100yds or more target shooting, no hunting. Budget will probably be around 2,500 for rifle and scope. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by angrypenguin View Post
    Shot a buddies 30-06 today at the range and found it to be very fun. I am going to buy a rifle but don't know where to start with researching. I will be using it for 100yds or more target shooting, no hunting. Budget will probably be around 2,500 for rifle and scope. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Look at the Savage rifles. Remington and Ruger, Marlin, Howa and Weatherby Vanguard are also grand. Optics, I like Sightron, Burris, Leupold, Nikon, Pentax, Busnell, in your price range. Meopta is one I've heard good things about but have no personal experience. I also like Nightforce, Zeiss and Swarovski but that uses up your whole budget.

To start look into a Marlin or Savage, Weatherby package deal. Once you find out what you are really looking for in optics you can invest in a better scope to put on an already fine rifle. Go for a higher grade rifle after you get familiar with the sport and can make a better informed decision from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by angrypenguin View Post
    You need to narrow your search. Are you going to shoot competition, or just random target shooting. Competition shooting will narrow your selections.

Skip Griffith
    Ohio

If you want something that you can shoot alot and not spend a fortune on ammo, consider a bolt action 223 such as a Remington VSSF. If you are only going to use it at the range get a heavy barrel and stock of your choice and you should be able to get it dialed in to shot groups less than 1/2". Put a Nikon, Leupold, or Zeiss scope on it and never look back.

Semper Fi

6. You'd never make a mistake with new mfg from the CMP. I've been toying with the idea of getting an M1 from them, then having it modified to the 1952 USMC Sniper configuration with the Griffin and Howe Mount. I love my M1. I've had 2 CMP rifles and both of them have been outstanding and lot's of fun to shoot. The new mfg I purchased looks beautiful and shoots great.

If you never plan to hunt, a 30 06 will cost you about a buck a shot. I'd look at the .223 and get a lot more target shooting at 100 yards for your money. JMO
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%