AR-15 Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    I just picked this up, but it was more than twice your budget. However, saving a little longer and getting one of the top tier guns could make you very happy. This one is especially enjoyable when it's time to clean, since it's a gas piston (2-minute cleanup).

There are a lot of safe queens available for good pricing, so used is a good option. Best to get on the boards, learn about the members, and buy from someone respected on the boards.
    I agree w/ above. Buying used is no sin. Lots of good people who may be down on luck and need cash therefor willing to sell really good guns etc...

You can and will find good deals on clean and well maintained used guns, you just need to be picky and research as I indicated before. I took my time and found a Colt pre-ban that was test fired only.
    and an owner willing to make a trade for it.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

If you want a powerful and reliable battle rifle, buy a high quality AK, Russian, Bulgarian or MAK and save the money you'd waste on an AR.

Anyone who wants to talk accuracy, I offer for you to stand 300 yards downrange and let me take a shot at you. You want to shoot further than 300 accurately, get one with a longer barrel then 16.5"

If you want to shoot further with dead on accuracy and the same ballistics of a 30-06, get a Romanian PSL. Confirmed kills out to 1300 yards (or meters, forget which). Centerfire systems has them for about 500.00

If you just want to target shoot, get a .22 rifle.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dergasmash View Post
    I've been looking around and reading articles, reviews, and various forums about these rifles. I am very familiar with the function, except for putting together a lower.
    Watch this video, very good walk-through of a lower assembly. You'll be surprised at how simple it is.

YouTube - Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 1 of 2

YouTube - Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 2 of 2

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    If you want a powerful and reliable battle rifle, buy a high quality AK, Russian, Bulgarian or MAK and save the money you'd waste on an AR.

I beg to differ, but .308 WIN comes in an AR platform and outperforms the 7.62 and you can carry twice as much ammo.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

Anyone who wants to talk accuracy, I offer for you to stand 300 yards downrange and let me take a shot at you. You want to shoot further than 300 accurately, get one with a longer barrel then 16.5"

If you want to shoot further with dead on accuracy and the same ballistics of a 30-06, get a Romanian PSL. Confirmed kills out to 1300 yards (or meters, forget which). Centerfire systems has them for about 500.00

In my neck of the woods, if you can get a clear shot at someone 100 yards away (much less 300), it means your opponent is a fool.

I love the AK platform, but mine is chambered 5.56.

My AR-15 is a S&W M&P 15T
    My AK47 is a Norinco MAK90

I love them both but they're entirely different weapons with different purposes. I'm a solid marksman but I think I'd have serious trouble hitting center-of-mass on a man-sized target at 300 yds with my AK. I have no problem doing it with my AR. Admittedly I've never shot my AK at that range but I know what it's like at 100 yds and I just don't think I could do it with much consistency at 300 yds.

A good friend of mine is (IMO) a weapons expert and tested veteran of civilian security work in Iraq and Afghanistan. He said that they'd always keep a couple of AKs in the SUV for "spray and pray" purposes but it was always an AR of some sort that they'd carry on their persons.

I now have an M1A if I want to "reach out and touch" something!

I'm a big fan of the AR15, I enjoy building my own, but becareful cause once you start its really easy to catch BRD.

My next build is going to be an AR10 in .308 setup for long range shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    I beg to differ, but .308 WIN comes in an AR platform and outperforms the 7.62 and you can carry twice as much ammo.
    Help me understand what you're saying here. Did you mean to say the .308WIN outperforms the 7.62X51 NATO? You can carry twice as much of what as opposed to what else? I don't doubt that what you meant to say is true, I just can't get there from what you wrote.
    Last edited by kudzu; 12-06-2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typo
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

For everything you always wanted to know about AR-15's but were afraid to ask, you should check out:

M4Carbine.net Forums

AR-15 - AR15.COM
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

11. new ar

I bought my stag for 720.00 brand new out the door. I'm also building one right now that should come in around 600 to 650.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast