Hi-point 9mm - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi-point 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by hp-hobo View Post
    Or to be accurate, Hi-Point manufactures handguns in .380 ACP, .9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. They also manufacture carbines in .9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.
    I knew that! Just shows my preference in that particular gun. Thanks for keeping me honest!

I have one of the newer ones, the 995TS? 9mm. My only complaint about it is the top equipment rail where you mount the scope is not parallel with the barrel. So, if I sight the scope in at 25yds, (remember, this is a PISTOL carbine, not a 200yd powerhouse) it shoots about 7 inches high at 50yds, and about 4 inches low at 10yds. Not really a big enough issue for me to send it in to get fixed.

Fit and finish leaves lots to be desired, that is for sure, but that is not what these firearms are made or marketed for. I have no problems trusting it to defend my life with, although it is not my primary home defense firearm, it is staged in my house for use if need be.

Hi-point 9mm

I finally did it. Got a $20 off coupon from Cabelas, and they have it on sale for $ 225. If anyone else is interesred, just go to the site and download the coupon. Sale ends Dec 31. Got it out the door with tax for $218. Lucky that I live close to Dundee, MI. and am able to get there in 40 minutes.
    Guess my next question now is what accessories to get. Comes with the front stock handle and the sling W/ swivel mounts, plus one mag. I'm sure I'll get the double mag holder,and the laser. Wondering about the scope. They offer a Red Dot sight, and a regular scope. They also have a "Front Compensator ", whatever that is.
    Thanks for all your comments guys, you really helped me decide to get this.

I have a BSR? red-dot on mine, but any decent one would work fine I'm sure... The dbl mag holder works quite well, and is a good value from the factory..

Enjoy it! oh, BTW, watch letting your cheek rest on the stock when you fire it, it stings! Never would have thought that 9mm has that kind of pep...

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    I finally did it. Got a $20 off coupon from Cabelas, and they have it on sale for $ 225. If anyone else is interesred, just go to the site and download the coupon. Sale ends Dec 31. Got it out the door with tax for $218. Lucky that I live close to Dundee, MI. and am able to get there in 40 minutes.
    Guess my next question now is what accessories to get. Comes with the front stock handle and the sling W/ swivel mounts, plus one mag. I'm sure I'll get the double mag holder,and the laser. Wondering about the scope. They offer a Red Dot sight, and a regular scope. They also have a "Front Compensator ", whatever that is.
    Thanks for all your comments guys, you really helped me decide to get this.
    All I run on mine is a sling, mag holders and compensator.

If you decide to get the ProMag 15-round mags, make sure you get the new style ones whith the cutout for the LRHO feature. If someone sells you the old style mags (or if somone else already has them), ProMag will do a one for one swap. You pay postage one way.

9mm hi-point

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the " Compensator" actually for?
    Also, I asked on another thread about barrel break in. Should I actually go through some ritual, or is it ok to just let it rip? Hope to get to the range tomorrow. Guess I can ask those guys too.

A compensator or muzzle break is supposed to reduce felt recoil, reduce muzzle rise and allow for quicker follow up shots. They also may increase muzzle flash and percieved noise level. Based on my experience with the comp on the 995, about all it does is look cool(er), especially when parked next to my AR's and AK's. The higher power the cartridge, the more difference comps make in your shooting experience. And a 995TS is certainly not an M198 or even a .357.

As for barrel break-in, IMO on the 995 it's not really necessary as long as you make sure it's well cleaned before getting started. The difference being a hunting or target rifle needs to be surgically accurate at long distances and can be expensive to re-barrel. On the other hand, your 995TS is more of a blunt instrument used at close range. It will shoot fairly well out to 100 yards but prefers a much closer targets. Besides, if you ruin the barrel, Hi-Point will replace it for you free of charge.

Neither of mine had any break-in period and both will shoot about 3" groups at 100 yards off the bench using cheap Wolf ammo. And after many thousand rounds downrange they're still more accurate than I need them to be for screwing around in the woods or making holes in old appliances.

Hi-point 9mm

Thank you for your response. Of course I want it to look cool, and if there is any benefit from having the compensator,I'll get one. Have you bought any of the larger aftermarket mags? I see Cheaper Than Dirt has some 15 rd mags.
    Also wondering about optics. Would you prefer the Red Dot, or a scope? Will be doing most shooting at the range up to 30 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    Thank you for your response. Of course I want it to look cool, and if there is any benefit from having the compensator,I'll get one. Have you bought any of the larger aftermarket mags? I see Cheaper Than Dirt has some 15 rd mags.
    Also wondering about optics. Would you prefer the Red Dot, or a scope? Will be doing most shooting at the range up to 30 yds.
    Honestly, based on my experience and non-scientific testing, the only benefit in mounting the comp on your 995TS is looks. It may help to balance it out when carrying loaded mags in the mag holders but the improvement is negligible.

I've personally been unhappy with the 15-round Pro-Mags but others have had good luck with them. You can get three 10-round factory mags with a lifetime guarantee for about the same price as two of the Pro-Mags so that's where I'll put my money if I purchase any more.

As for optics, I prefer the plain old iron sights. I little bit of yellow paint on the front post is all I need to make them 100% servicable out to 50 yards standing or 100 yards of a bench. And they never fall apart internally or have dead batteries.

That being said, if I was going to put an optic aid on it'd be a red dot. Actually it'd be a red dot/laser/light combo. I mean, what the hell?

Barska 1x30 Electro Sight Riflescope w/ Flashlight, Red Laser Sight FREE S&H AC11398. Barska Electro Sight Riflescopes, Barska Riflescopes.

Let us know how your new toy shoots. Good luck and have fun!

Hi-point 9mm

Finally got to the range this morning. Ran 50 fmj through and man, am I stoked! This thing shoots like a champ and I absolutely love it! Thanks to all of you for your comments, really pleased & glad I bought this.
    Ordered the laser for it, can't wait to shoot from the hip, ( or arm pit ).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast