sighting in my new 308
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sighting in my new 308

1. sighting in my new 308

i recently bought a savage edge .308 win. and am going to be using it for deer hunting and coyote hunting. i have a simmons 3-9x40 scope and had cabela's mount and bore sight it before i left the store. and if i remember right from what i was told.

if i zero it in at 25 yards i'll be zero at 100 yards.

so today i got time to sight it in shot three times at 25 and was an inch high and an inch to the left. so one click to the right says its 1/4 moa. and then shot three more and was just one inch high. shot three more and was the same. also i did all this on 5 power.

so my question is being how i don't have a range finder yet. should i be "right" on at 100 yards. or do i need to go out to 100 to start with

3. I had my Savage 10FP .308 boresighted at 25 yds too but if i remember correctly it was off at 100 yds. I would definitely go out to 100 yds to make sure. im pretty sure i had to adjust my sights going out to 100 from 25.

It doesnt hurt to try it. 3 shots is all you need.

Ouch. That gun is worthy of so much more. You need to dial that bad boy in to zero at 200 yards.

Ballistics Table For Deer Rifles
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

What I've done is set up a Red dot at 30 feet.. Remove the bolt and align the rifle barrel (it may actually be easier to get someone to move the paper for you) on the red dot.. Now set your scope at 2" above the center of the red dot.. You will be right on left to right and very close at 100 yards with this set-up.. At least it worked on a .270 and a .30-.30

Gulf Coast, Floriduh
    Sccy is the limit

I sight a 30-06 at 27yds, I will kill a Deer from o to 300+yds.

Sighting a high power rifle anywhere other than zero @ 200 - 300 yards makes no sense. 200 yards is pretty basic for hunting applications to maximize Point Blank Range

Here is a good article explaining, even though I don't agree with the author that the extra yardage from magnum loads is a waste.

Ultra-Long Range Rifles
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

For "average" .308 Winchester, 150 grain (for deer, right), just sight it in 1.25" low at 25 yards. You'll be deer-accurate all the way to 280 yards. That equates to sighting in dead on at 240 yards, or 2" high at 100 yards.

Like (the wise) OldOwl said, point-blank range is a good way to sight in a hunting firearm. Deer-accurate point-blank range means no more than 3" high or low for as far as you can shoot. In this case, that is 280 yards. If you sight in like I say, you can just aim "point-blank" from 0-280 yards and get a kill shot every time. Even at 400 yards you will only be 21" low with this sighting profile.

Remington.com has a nice (and free) ballistics program that includes a point-blank calculator and covers most of their common rifle rounds. You can find it here:

Remington Ballistics Calculator

Scroll down to the "Remington Shoot!" Ballistics Software download.
    Islander's Law: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation

9. so today i went out to shoot and shot 3 at 100 putting the hairs right on the x walked to the paper and only 2 where in it at the very top. shot a few more times didn't even hit the paper. walked off 25 yrds quick hit 2'' above the x. so what the heck i go back and hold the hairs at the bottom of the paper shoot 4 times and hit 2'' inches above the x. so is my scope just off this far or am i just that bad.
    also i do use a bipod mounted to my gun and shoot laying in the back of my truck just so i'm not in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by deboer View Post
    so today i went out to shoot and shot 3 at 100 putting the hairs right on the x walked to the paper and only 2 where in it at the very top. shot a few more times didn't even hit the paper. walked off 25 yrds quick hit 2'' above the x. so what the heck i go back and hold the hairs at the bottom of the paper shoot 4 times and hit 2'' inches above the x. so is my scope just off this far or am i just that bad.
    also i do use a bipod mounted to my gun and shoot laying in the back of my truck just so i'm not in the snow
    Remember that with a scoped rifle, you have to sight in LOW at 25 yards to keep from being too HIGH at 100 yards. Doesn't make sense, right? But that's how the physics works. PM me if you want a full blown explanation.

2" high at 25 yards = 15" high at 100 yards. You are sighted in perfectly for 15 yards.
    Islander's Law: Registration is Preparation for Confiscation

11. that does make sense cause the bullet wouldn't be at the top of its arch yet so i would want to be under by like 2 inches at 25 right??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast