Side by side shotgun for home defense-thoughts? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Side by side shotgun for home defense-thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    Good question.

But I have read numerous "home owner shoots invader" scenarios where there were two invaders breakin in, one of them gets shot and the other runs for his life. Unless they are trapped, I strongly believe they would make a straight B line for the door. Like I said before, the side by sides have been protecting homes for generations. If it was good enough for wyatt earp? It will be good enough for me!
    LOL +1 Anything to do with Earp and Doc is good enough in my book as well.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Like I said before, the side by sides have been protecting homes for generations.
    Absolutely, and will be for generations to come. A double-barrel shotgun is a formidable weapon and more than adequate for most situations. Besides that, they do look cool and are very nostalgic.

With the potential threat being unknown and given the whole world of guns to choose from, WHY would you choose a side-by-side shotgun?

Tell me something rational, not that it's "bad ass" or "...good enough for Wyatt Earp."
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    Absolutely, and will be for generations to come. A double-barrel shotgun is a formidable weapon and more than adequate for most situations. Besides that, they do look cool and are very nostalgic.

With the potential threat being unknown and given the whole world of guns to choose from, WHY would you choose a side-by-side shotgun?

Tell me something rational, not that it's "bad ass" or "...good enough for Wyatt Earp."
    Tell me why you wouldn't? Simple to use and they will never jam. What's the big deal what he chooses to defend his home with?

very easy to load, won't jam and all-around easy to use. Less mechanical parts to keep oiled and It's a grab and go type of gun. This argument seems similar to the revolver vs. semi-auto argument. It's the simplicity of the weapon, why many people like to have around, something your family member can grab and use in case of emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    What's the big deal what he chooses to defend his home with?
    It is no big deal to me, I was just curious about his thought process and making conversation.

very easy to load, won't jam and all-around easy to use. Less mechanical parts to keep oiled and It's a grab and go type of gun. This argument seems similar to the revolver vs. semi-auto argument. It's the simplicity of the weapon, why many people like to have around, something your family member can grab and use in case of emergency.
    Valid points. Even if the Stoeger Coach Gun is not my home defense weapon of choice, it is, as S&WM&P40 says, "bad ass" and I wouldn't mind having one just to have it.
    Last edited by kudzu; 01-10-2011 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Added missing word "mind" in last line.

It is no big deal to me, I was just curious about his thought process and making conversation.
    I used a single shot 410 for while and I loved it. My father died and left me his gun cabinet in it was two 12G's a pump action 410 and a single shot 410. I loved them all but I found the single shot easiest to use and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    I loved them all...
    Yep, and the one I like best is whichever one I happen to be shooting at the moment.

How about an over under = better accuracy. I already have a pump (w1300 defender) but was thinking an over under for skeet/trap and m/b some hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by homershoots View Post
    How about an over under = better accuracy. I already have a pump (w1300 defender) but was thinking an over under for skeet/trap and m/b some hunting.
    That will work too, but longer barrels. If you get one, get one with the screw-in chokes so you will have the best of all worlds.

When I was a lot younger, a 20 ga Stevens single shot sat by the bed's headboard and I was happy.

When I bought my Baikal (Russian) 12 Ga Coach Shotgun, I got it cause:
    1. I like the looks of it. (It IS badass!) IMHO! No apologies!
    2. I like the quick, large pattern it threw. (HD and viscous rabbits)!
    3. Only shotgun I own that people says "Wow! May I see that thing?"
    4. Short barrels = easy to maneuver with.
    5. I have ALWAYS wanted one! Just imagine ~ sitting on that stagecoach holding that thing ~ !!!!
    6. The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

That's my story and I am a stickin' to it!!!!!!!!!

OH NO!!!! I JUST SAW A 12 GA MOSSBERG 500 PUMP WITH 16 1/2 INCH BARRELS AT MY LGS!! ITCH! ~ ITCH! ~ SCRATCH! ~ SCRATCH!

"A free people should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from anyone, including their own government. ~ G. Washington

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast