looking for a good heat shielded AK front handguard

Thread: looking for a good heat shielded AK front handguard

looking for a good heat shielded AK front handguard

Looking for a good heat shielded AK front handguard. It's to replace the unshielded polymer parts on my IO AK which keep melting and getting wobbly after a while. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    Looking for a good heat shielded AK front handguard. It's to replace the unshielded polymer parts on my IO AK which keep melting and getting wobbly after a while. Any suggestions?
    Midwest Industries quad-rail. All aluminum so no melting. They're a lot more expensive than the plastic stuff......got mine at Area51Tactical.com for $110 which is really good considering I've seen some places asking up to $189 for it. Get some decent rail covers for them and you're good to go.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

I have a quad rail on my other AK that works fairly well but after having indulged in tactiturdism for a while I find the more classic look more appealing now. Are there any wood guards with a heat shield?

Wood is an inherently good heat shield so it doesn't really need any help unless you're trying to melt your barrel with a couple of minutes of non-stop full auto.

Try Ironwood Designs. IWDHome

Actually, the Russian Red set shown on their homepage picture looks gorgeous, but I did not see that listed in the available types. Do you have to finish it that way yourself?

Actually, the Russian Red set shown on their homepage picture looks gorgeous, but I did not see that listed in the available types. Do you have to finish it that way yourself?
    Their stuff is unfinished. I've got a pistol grip on the way from them.

Staining is easy. Below on the left is something I finished recently. It's a mix of red and brown stains with several coats of lacquer. I just kept altering the mix and testing it on scrap wood until I found the right shade to match the bakelite mag.

Looks marvellous! What makes are those AKs?

Looks marvellous! What makes are those AKs?
    Thanks. They're Dracos. Romanian surplus. Mostly a police/paramilitary weapon from what I understand as opposed to a regular army thing. Regardless, they're 100% AK. There are quite a few of them out there for sale in the $400 range. Here's what they look like out of the box: