Pricecheck on a used Remington 597

Thread: Pricecheck on a used Remington 597

1. Pricecheck on a used Remington 597

I have a Craigslist find, would like some info. I tried a search, but couldn't find much.

Remington 597 with scope, 30rd mag and 3 10rd mags for $190. Supposedly in great shape. Sound like a good price?

-D

Overpriced. I wouldn't pay more than $100

They are known for jamming constantly. I used to have one. This is why I don't.
    Armed...not dangerous.

In my opinion that is too much money being that a brand new one can be had for $150.

RimfireCentral.com will help you see what the issues are, but here is my take:

A good gun, accuracy wise, for the money, but do be aware that the main issues still stem from poor magazines - even the latest generation.

Initially the one I bought for my son would stovepipe occasionally, then I had FTF, then I had ammo the would get fed at an angle that would bend the projectile away from the case causing a jam, and finally I had the bolt holding open though there was still one round left.

A bit frustrating but I have resolved all of the issues. The bolt hold open deal is a spring rate issue (weak hold open spring in conjunction with the need to stretch the mag springs to feed the rounds up higher.

Believe it or not, I would buy another as I know where the weaknesses are and they can be solved fairly easily. Too bad the folks in Mayfield, KY haven't figured it out.

Lastly, Remington sent us an entire new trigger assembly and a magazine when I explained the issues I was having. Good customer service IMO.

A Volquartsen trigger got the trigger down to 2.94 lbs & Volq extractor gives you solid extraction - not a single issue with extraction after the change.

We haven't had any issues since....btw, Remington has a $25 off coupon for 597s somewhere on their website.
    The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is the Freedom that protects all others...

5. I just picked up a Ruger 1022 for a low price of 199.00. You can customize the hell out of them. from stock to clips. One co. makes an adjustable clip for them I ordered two. No feed problems at all 25 rounds no problem. In my opinion better gun for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by outrigger View Post
    I just picked up a Ruger 1022 for a low price of 199.00. You can customize the hell out of them. from stock to clips. One co. makes an adjustable clip for them I ordered two. No feed problems at all 25 rounds no problem. In my opinion better gun for the money.
    Oh cool so you modified yours to take a clip. I thought about doing that but chose to use magazines instead.
    Armed...not dangerous.

7. Magizines

Yes I said clip. Couldn't figure out how to fold magazines to fit. Oh and witch ones to use. Pent house Oui? American Hunter??? LOL