S&w m&p sport

Thread: S&w m&p sport

S&w m&p sport

Had a chance to put my hands on a M&P Sport this weekend. Seems like a nice rifle for the price. As it would be my first AR type rifle, was wondering about some features it doesn't have. One is the dust cover, is it really neccessary for the occasional plinker? The other is the forward assist. What actual function does this accomplish? Also I wiuld like to add a RED DOT, is the front sight removable?

Saw a thread on this new carbine on another forum and most thought that it is a lot of gun for the money and has everything most people really need. Of course, you can accessorize it to your heart's content or until you run out of money! You won't likely miss the dust cover or forward assist. You don't need to remove the front sight in order to install and use a RDS. With an RDS properly mounted, the iron sights are visible in the lower third of the RDS and can be ignored when using the RDS or used in the event the RDS fails.
    The Founders Got It Right - Back To The Constitution
    NRA (Life) - GOA (Life) - NAGR - GOSC (Life) - GrassRoots GunRights SC

I have an M&P 15T. Nice rifle to say the least.

The forward assist is used in case the bolt carrier doesn't move all the way forward when the rifle is being charged or while being fired. I don't believe I've ever had to use it. I believe it's more for battlefield conditions where the gun may be dirty and might not be functioning at its peak performance. Ditto with the dust cover.

Looking at the picture of the rifle online, it appears that the rear sight is fixed and can't be removed from the upper. "kudzu" mentioned properly mounting a RDS in the post above, but that sight looks awfully tall and it doesn't fold down like other sights. You might need to mount the RDS on a riser. That's fairly common with ARs that don't have a carrying handle (like the one you're interested in). Below is a pic of my S&W with a scope mounted on a riser (and my sights folded down). It's more comfortable for me with the scope up a bit.

In any case I'm sure you'll like it if you buy it.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Thanks for the positive info, guys. I really don't NEED an AR. Just want one 'cause I can. So, I don't want to spend $1k on it. I've driven FORDS all my life & I always got to where I was going, so why would I NEED a Lincoln? Going to my local gun store soon & see if they can match the price I saw at Jay's & go from there. BTW, I have the M&P 15-22 Pistol & I love it! What a blast to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    Had a chance to put my hands on a M&P Sport this weekend. Seems like a nice rifle for the price. As it would be my first AR type rifle, was wondering about some features it doesn't have. One is the dust cover, is it really neccessary for the occasional plinker? The other is the forward assist. What actual function does this accomplish? Also I wiuld like to add a RED DOT, is the front sight removable?
    You can remove the front sight, you will just need to install some other kind of gas block. You can also chop the front sight and make it into a pinned gas block. Get a mid length RIS and it will cover the gas block. Then install flip up sights on it.

Buy something like this ARR-425 - AR-15 .625" Low Profile Gas Block Clamp Black Matte Vltor Made of 17-4 PH Stainless Steel if you remove the front sight. Make sure you loctite the screws. Chopping the from sight will give you a pinned gas block, people say those work better then screw on gas blocks because there are no screws to come loss. Here is a great DIY on how to mod the front sight.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

Thanks for all the info. Not sure if I have what it takes to alter the gas block like that.