Ar 15 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ar 15

1. Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    The introduction of the piston operated, both long stroke and short stroke systems have definitely change the rules for the AR platform. The gas impingement's dirty operating method has been eliminated and has greatly improved the reliability of the AR.
    There hasn't been a reliability issue with the AR/M16 platform for the last 25 years. I have 4 ARs, all original gas design and none of them have ever jammed because of a system problem, only ammo related issues and those were few and far between. If you aren't pouring salt water down the barrel, it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Just about every make of the AR platform makes a 'lefty' but you will need to shop around.
    I'm not sure where you're looking but Stag is actually the only one that offers a truly left handed AR. DPMS has their Southpaw line but it is a bunch of modified parts made to eject to the left.

Stags rifles are full mirror images of the right handed design. It appears that NOVESKE also makes a left handed version but it is quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by cawpin View Post
    There hasn't been a reliability issue with the AR/M16 platform for the last 25 years. I have 4 ARs, all original gas design and none of them have ever jammed because of a system problem, only ammo related issues and those were few and far between. If you aren't pouring salt water down the barrel, it will be fine.

I'm not sure where you're looking but Stag is actually the only one that offers a truly left handed AR. DPMS has their Southpaw line but it is a bunch of modified parts made to eject to the left.

Stags rifles are full mirror images of the right handed design. It appears that NOVESKE also makes a left handed version but it is quite expensive.
    Any ejection / cocking system that dumps spent cartridge super hot gas and unburnt powder directly into the bolt carrier has an inherent design issue and all the subsequent failures that go along with it if not maintained correctly. And that was the gist of my statement. Since the advent of the piston system, or I should say the introduction of the piston system to the AR platform many of the major manufacturers are offering an upper in the piston system.

And if you take into consideration, for optimum operation of the direct gas impingement system only the specified ammunition for the barrel lenght and twist rate specified should be used. (Not mine. Came for the armorers manual.) Me personally burn darned near any ammo I can get. But the various ammo loads do present various impact point on center of aim.

I'm told the piston systems can tune this issue out by offering a variable port system. Come to think of it, thats also why there are adjustable gas tubes available for the standard system.

If the OP is one that will put the time into maintaining the gas system on a standard impingement system then he should have no issue.

We could get into a pi$$ing match about any subject desired because of the "my dog is better than your dog" mentality that every gun owner has regarding his or her chosen weapon system.

I mearly offer information for review. And it looks like I may have misspoke about "Just about everybody makes a lefty statement". My apologies to the OP for that. DPMS, Stag and Bedrock Industries (Noveske N4) are all lefties.

I stand by my suggestion to figure out what lower system you want and then go hunt for the right (or left ;->) upper for you.

But then again.... it's just my opinion. What do I know?

4. Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    We could get into a pi$$ing match about any subject desired because of the "my dog is better than your dog" mentality that every gun owner has regarding his or her chosen weapon system.
    Indeed, and that was not my intent. My statements were, as yours were, my own personal opinion and experience.

If the OP wants to BUILD a rifle, the options are endless and you can get exactly what you want and it may be cheaper or it may cost more. If you do build a rifle, it really isn't difficult BTW, be sure to check out Sun Devil Manufacturing for a lower. They are local to me out here in AZ and they make a fine product, completely machined from billet aluminum. I built my last AR, an M4 style, on one of their lowers and had no issues except for having to clean out some of the anodizing from a few of the holes with a hand held drill bit. Their pieces are built to the tight end of the tolerances.

As for building, you can easily get a basic complete rifle for $700. Getting a lefty upper will addd a few bucks and buying a completely left handed rifle will be even more.

I'm picking up a superior arms in 5.56, heard good things about them

Quote Originally Posted by sig p6 View Post
    I'm picking up a superior arms in 5.56, heard good things about them
    My superior arms lower will not accept P mags and the company never returned my email or voice mail, no more superior arms for me.

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

7. Wow thanks for all the help and advice I think I got a pretty good direction to go now. Thanks everybody.

Try Olympic Arms
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

I'll add my .02 cents.

Personally I don't want any Bushmaster, Olympic, DPMS or any other rifle that isn't a true Mil-Spec rifle that is also a major GSA supplier to the Armed forces, rather United States or Foreign.

Top of the line stuff is great, but you pay the price for their manufacturing costs and material costs. Noveske, LaRue Tactical etc. Yet not one LaRue rifle or Noveske is in use with any of the Armed Forces, at least that I know of. There may be an isolated case within in the SOF community but it's not like either manufacturer is being procured for volume sales. I do know that some of the Special Forces ODA's have made unit purchases of LWRC rifles. I've seen it myself.

LMT's CQB MRP platform is simply the best AR rifle available to the general public, period ! I purchased an LMT CQB MRP 16" mid length gas system (standard) for $1250 on Gunbroker. Yes, I got lucky due to my patience and wait time.

If you haven't looked at LMT's CQB MRP platform, then your missing the best rifle on the market. Both manufactured in DI and piston systems are available to the public. Get your lower with the SOPMOD stock.

www.lewismachine.net
    "When a government robs Peter to pay Paul it will alway's have the support of Paul" George Bernard Shaw

I have a DPMS and Stag left handed AR's. The Stag Arms is far and away the better of the two and has been an excellent performer for me. I heartily endorse the Stag.
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

11. I own two one is and older S&W 15T the other a LM&T Defender 2000, both are great shooting AR-15s.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast