Remington 870 Failure.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 870 Failure.

Remington 870 Failure.

Last week, I bought a new, tactical Remington 870 for added protection around the house. Took it to the range the following day and am certainly glad I did. After firing the third round, the bolt locked up...leaving the spent shell in the chamber.

I have considerable shotgunning experience, but have never seen symptoms like these. The extractor is "tilted" about ten degrees...viewed from the outside of the frozen bolt. I thought the (low brass) Winchester shell had perhaps overly expanded in the chamber, but close examination of the bold carrier (looking from the bottom) revealed that it wouldn't move even the slightest bit when pressure was applied to the slide.

I did a slight bit of research on the web and discovered that a few new 870's have burrs in the chamber that cause the expanded brass to lock up.

I was unable to remove the spent cartridge using only the slide. I considered using a cleaning rod as a ram while pulling the slide. However, since the gun is brand new I chose to return it to Remington.

3. Sounds like Remington has some QC issues that they need to have addressed.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, good move returning it so as to let remington see it. From what I've read you musta got the "one in three million"...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Good idea to return the shotgun to Remington. They will most likely send you a new one as a replacement. I would hope that the cpompany would check better on their quality control and do a better job in the makeing of the weapons that people depend on for safety and protection of family and the owner.
    Bill

Have never had a problem with 870 but I have and shoot an older version, Remington will most likely make it good to preserve their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    Yeah, good move returning it so as to let remington see it. From what I've read you musta got the "one in three million"...
    Maybe I should have bought $375 worth of lottery tickets instead.

Don't they test-fire their products?
    H&K-Certified MP5 Operator and Instructor
    FBI-Certified Police Pistol and Shotgun Instructor
    State of New Mexico-Certified Concealed Carry Instructor

I just bought the 887 nitro mag tactical....shot 40 slug rounds thru her the other day w/no issues. The barrel was only warm to the touch after rapid fire of 7 consecutive rounds.

10. I had a similar issue with my 870, but not the part about the extractor. I bought it used. When I used cheaper #7 or #6 steel (Winchester or Federal) the spent shell would seize up in the chamber.

When this happened, I removed the barrel and pried out with spent shell with a small screwdriver. I would not try to ram it out with a cleaning rod or anything else. Also, working with the barrel OFF the gun can prevent all manner of mishaps.

It appears that the bolt face, slamming into the rear of the barrel, caused the rear edge of the barrel to mushroom and grip the outer edge of the round. I took a knife and emery cloth to remove some of the mushrooming and smoothed it out. I have not had the issue since.

Keep in mind that this is the outer rim and not inside the chamber. I wouldn't touch the inside of the barrel or chamber with anything other than cleaning products.

Also, before and after, slugs have never been an issue, nor has any of the more expensive ammunition like the Blackcloud #2, RWS copper matrix. Even the Fiocchi 00 buck worked without a hitch.

I hope it comes back to you in proper working order. My 870 is the only gun I have purchased and I enjoy shooting it. I've hunted turkey, deer and rabbit with it.

This what makes this forum solid..sharing info like this. I've had several 870 over the years and carried one with me for years when I was LE. Never had a bit of a problem with any of them. Just like all things, nuances can occur and there are exceptions to others experiences. I agree that sending the gun as is back to Remington was the right move. They can learn from the experience and hopefully it does not happen to anyone else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast